PDA

View Full Version : Choice of timing for birthday party

pharmjenn
11-20-2013, 09:51 PM
DS5 wants his party at a jumpy place. I apparently waited too long to book, and the weekend option is Saturday 12/7 at 9am. I was also considering the Thursday evening. The party would last 1.5-2hrs.
If I do Thursday evening, I would have to order their pizza as it would go through dinner time, so the party would be much more expensive.
My problem with Saturday is that I think many of his classmates have religious services, especially his "best"friend.

If you were invited to either party, what would you prefer?

My other problem is I have to book and distribute invites by this Friday, as they have all week off for Thanksgiving. Then I am afraid the parents will forget by the time it rolls around 2 weeks later. Would it be appropriate to send a reminder home a couple days prior? I don't have any email addresses, it has to be paper invites distributed by the teacher into backpacks. They do have a file sent home on Fridays, so the parents should see the invite.

SnuggleBuggles
11-20-2013, 09:58 PM
I'd choose Thursday but what about the weekend after? Neither slot you have is ideal.

We are doing a party that same weekend. I already sent out invites. I sent them way too soon. I would wait and see how your RSVPs go before worrying about reminders.

boolady
11-20-2013, 10:11 PM
What time on Thursday evening? (1) Will kids with WOH parents be able to get there in time; and (2) is it going to end too late for 5-year olds? I wouldn't rule it our without knowing the answer to these questions.

pharmjenn
11-20-2013, 10:11 PM
I work every other weekend, so the 7-8th is really the only time we can do it. Plus, his actually birthday is the 4th, and at that age I can't imagine he would wait much longer. He has never had a big party like this, we have always had family, at-home parties with a few friends, so he is quite excited.

pharmjenn
11-20-2013, 10:18 PM
I will go over to the place tomorrow to see what is available. I am thinking 5-7pm?
Since the kids are mostly from his school, and they have after-care that closes at 6pm, I know everyone has to be picked up by then. Most of his classmates that would be invited are picked up by 5pm though. I know a couple parents casually as well, so I could possibly drive 2 extra kids in my car if the parent agreed.

carolinacool
11-20-2013, 11:50 PM
Our sons share the same birthday, except mine will be 4. :) Also, bounce house party. Check. On the 7th. Check.

That said, I am not a morning person. Getting somewhere by 9 a.m. on a weekend would be hard. For a 5 p.m. party during the week, I would have to leave work early, but I usually have that flexibility. And DS would be fine going to a party and then heading back to school the next day, but he also typically is up until 8:30 or 9 anyway. So Thursday gets my vote.