PDA

View Full Version : Kindle app for iPhone question

Twoboos
11-21-2013, 11:08 AM
DDs have our old iPhones (really use them as iPods, no phone option). They want to use the Kindle app, which is fine as I have purchased a lot of books for them and I'm happy to see them reading!

I have downloaded a bunch to their phones, so they show up on the Device not the Cloud. However, the Cloud is still an option so how do I keep them OUT of the Cloud? I don't want them downloading my books, LOL. Plus I have the Hunger Games trilogy on there and DD1 thinks she wants to read it, but that's not happening, so I don't want her to have access to it.

I am going to search around on the Amazon site and on Google but I hoped someone here already knows the answer. :)

Thanks!

TwoBees
11-21-2013, 11:10 AM
I thought you could turn off access to the cloud in the settings? Is there an option for Kindle in the iCloud settings?

Twoboos
11-21-2013, 11:20 AM
I don't think it's iCloud, I think it's the Kindle Cloud (just to confuse us all).

TwoBees
11-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Oooohhh.
Now I'm curious. [Installing Kindle app as I type this]

ETA: I see what you mean. I'm trying to determine if you can turn off access to the cloud through your Amazon account, but the "manage my devices" page is not working. :/

Twoboos
11-21-2013, 11:56 AM
I'm thinking there isn't a way to do this. A couple of pages in the Kindle forum say that in order to block access to the Cloud you have to deregister the iphone/app and then reregister under their own new account. Which will not give access to any of the existing books. :irked: I can't even seem to sign out of the account on their phones so you'd at least have to sign back in to download something. UGH!

There are parental controls on the actual Kindle, but not for the app.

pastrygirl
11-21-2013, 12:31 PM
THAT would be a very handy setting! I have the Kindle app installed on the kids' iPad but so far they never go in there unless I download a Magic Tree House book. As my son gets older, he might want to read more on his own. But I don't want him to have his own Amazon account!

I share my husband's Amazon account for my Kindle reading. I wish there were a way to share books within a household without lending limits, etc.

egoldber
11-21-2013, 12:56 PM
There are parental controls on the actual Kindle, but not for the app.

Yes, this is correct. I think it's a serious flaw in the Kindle app.

Twoboos
11-21-2013, 03:41 PM
I think it's a serious flaw in the Kindle app.

I have to agree! It's ridiculous, just a ploy to open more accounts or to buy more Kindles (instead of using the app). :thumbsdown:

TwoBees
11-21-2013, 03:46 PM
I have to agree! It's ridiculous, just a ploy to open more accounts or to buy more Kindles (instead of using the app). :thumbsdown:

Yep. I don't think it's a flaw as much as an intentional "oversignt."