PDA

View Full Version : Few random questions... your thoughts

Dream
11-21-2013, 11:22 AM
DD's Kindy teacher is married so technically should be addressed as Mrs...... right? This is not when writing, just talking. For some reason I always keep addressing her Ms.... as I feel this how others address her. Which is the right way to address her?

And how should I address her when writing a note? Ms or Mrs?

I'm thinking of gifting her a personalized sticky note pad for x'mas, how should I write her title, Ms or Mrs?
And should I have the school name printed on the pad too or just her name?

Thank you

So I went back to check the school website and her name under the teachers list for example(totally made up all the names) is: Tina Kang
And under teachers wish list the name is: Tina Kang Chung
Her email address starts with TKang@....

Mopey
11-21-2013, 11:24 AM
I think it depends on if she uses her married name. I have a good friend who became a teacher and is still Ms. Maiden Name. Technically you could call her MRS. Maiden Name, but try to see if you can find it out. She may prefer her maiden name. My friend didn't take her hubby's because he is English and the name is an insult, so he was like, yeah, you don't have to :)

TwoBees
11-21-2013, 11:25 AM
Does she use her married name or madien name? Only use Mrs if she uses her married name.

If you are unsure, I think Ms is the safest move.

Not sure how to put her name on the sticky pad. I wouldn't add the school name though.

babyonway
11-21-2013, 11:29 AM
Does she use her married name or madien name? Only use Mrs if she uses her married name.

If you are unsure, I think Ms is the safest move.

Not sure how to put her name on the sticky pad. I wouldn't add the school name though.

:yeahthat:

123LuckyMom
11-21-2013, 11:30 AM
Ms. is perfectly appropriate for a married or unmarried woman. It's Miss that would be inappropriate for a married woman just as Mrs. is inappropriate for an unmarried woman. She would only be Mrs. if she uses her husband's last name. You wouldn't call a married woman using her maiden name Mrs. Maiden Name. In that circumstance, you would use Ms. If she uses her husband's last name, she could be either Ms. or Mrs. but would usually be Mrs.

TwinFoxes
11-21-2013, 11:32 AM
I think a lot of women prefer Ms to Mrs even if they don't use their maiden name. I go back and forth. I think Ms. is the safer choice, but honestly she probably doesn't care.

For the pad, I would just put Jane Smith, I wouldn't use an honorific. I think that is standard practice with personalized items. I wouldn't put the school's address, because she'll most likely use them at home.

mommylamb
11-21-2013, 11:35 AM
Ms. is definitely safe either way.

I kept my maiden name, and use Ms., though I have an aunt who also kept her maiden name but uses Mrs., and I think that's odd. But whatever.

Momit
11-21-2013, 11:36 AM
I think a lot of women prefer Ms to Mrs even if they don't use their maiden name. I go back and forth. I think Ms. is the safer choice, but honestly she probably doesn't care.

For the pad, I would just put Jane Smith, I wouldn't use an honorific. I think that is standard practice with personalized items. I wouldn't put the school's address, because she'll most likely use them at home.

:yeahthat:

squimp
11-21-2013, 11:41 AM
Can you call and ask the office? I don't like either for myself, and it seems like reasonable question to ask. Does it say her name on her door or in the classroom?

Dream
11-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Added:

So I went back to check the school website and her name under the teachers list for example(totally made up all the names) is: Tina Kang
And under teachers wish list the name is: Tina Kang Chung
Her email address starts with TKang@....

SnuggleBuggles
11-21-2013, 11:45 AM
My kids' teachers have almost all preferred that I address them as "Ms./ Mrs./ Mr. Lastname" in front of the kids and first name in emails and such. How does she sign emails back to you? That's where I take my cue from. For stationary, I'd be inclined to do her full name, no title.

boolady
11-21-2013, 11:48 AM
What do the children call her, Mrs. or Ms.? I think that would shed light on her preference.

Dream
11-21-2013, 11:51 AM
My kids' teachers have almost all preferred that I address them as "Ms./ Mrs./ Mr. Lastname" in front of the kids and first name in emails and such. How does she sign emails back to you? That's where I take my cue from. For stationary, I'd be inclined to do her full name, no title.

Well, the funny thing is she's never replied to emails. She would send a sticky note back in the folder but doesn't sign her name. Which is why I thought a personalized sticky note pad would be useful for her. Since September I've only received one letter that she signed her name but sadly I don't have it anymore and I don't remember how she signed it.

Dream
11-21-2013, 11:53 AM
Also I was thinking of using an image of ABC blocks or something along the lines of Kindergarten on the sticky note, is that ok? Or is that a no too?

SnuggleBuggles
11-21-2013, 11:53 AM
Sounds cute. :)

Dream
11-21-2013, 11:54 AM
What do the children call her, Mrs. or Ms.? I think that would shed light on her preference.

Kids call her Ms...

BabyBearsMom
11-21-2013, 12:22 PM
I took my DH's name but I still prefer to go as Ms. DH'sLASTNAME, Mrs. just feels weird to me. But I am not offended if someone calls me Mrs. DH'sLASTNAME

boolady
11-21-2013, 01:15 PM
Kids call her Ms...

If the kids know her as Ms., I would assume that's because that's how she's referred to at school, and I would use that.

Still-in-Shock
11-21-2013, 01:23 PM
I would ask her directly what she wants to be called. You can always say, "when I talk to DC about homework, I have called you Mrs, and DC insists I call you Ms. Which do you prefer?"

wellyes
11-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Ms. is completely appropriate for married women, that's the whole point of it. You don't have to keep track of a woman's married status when addressing her with Ms (just as it has always been with Mr.)

I think a lot of "Mrs So-and-So" get called "Mizz So-and-So" in the classroom more due to lazy tongues than gender politics. I definitely called teachers Mizz ____ before I had an inkling of the difference between Ms. and Mrs.

vonfirmath
11-21-2013, 01:44 PM
How does she want to be addressed? If you don't know, I wouldn't give personalized stationary. Personally I wouldn't use something that said Ms. Lastname because I DO care. Or do last name only with no title in front of it.

crl
11-21-2013, 01:54 PM
Ms is appropriate regardless of marital status and regardless of what last name is used. It is my default. I use Ms for all adult women that I address by title and last name unless I know they prefer a different title (or are medical doctors, in the military , judges, ministers, etc).

I wouldn't do personalized stationary with a title unless I was sure of the person's preferences.

Catherinr