PDA

View Full Version : Merlin's magic sleepsuit ?

babyfiorina1
11-21-2013, 03:46 PM
I was at target looking at baby stuff and still pregnant with DS at that time, and got into a conversation with a lady stood next to me. She told me about the Merlin's magic sleepsuit. Her DS was a horrible sleeper and she said this magic suit saved her life and her baby has been sleeping well ever since they use it. I quickly noted that down just in case. The only thing I forgot to ask her was how old was her DS when she started using it.

DS is going to be 6 weeks in few days and likely close to 11 lbs now (haven't checked the weight yet). He has trouble going down for a nap. He'll fall asleep after nursing and when i put him down in his crib, he'll be awake. He's being swaddled with halo now, but didn't seem to like it, but couldn't sleep without it and wouldn't take a pacifier too.
Anyone try the magic sleep suit before ?
http://www.magicsleepsuit.com

AngB
11-21-2013, 05:06 PM
I haven't, but I have a friend who swears by it.

If it would work for DS2, who is 1, I would probably buy one. But I'm guessing they don't make them for 20 pound 1 year olds...

babyfiorina1
11-22-2013, 12:03 AM
Only up to 21 lbs is what I see on their website. I just purchased it. Will update on how it turns out. Fingers crossed.

petesgirl
11-22-2013, 01:03 AM
Only up to 21 lbs is what I see on their website. I just purchased it. Will update on how it turns out. Fingers crossed.

Yes, please do! My first was a horrible sleeper and I am determined to bite it in the budget with my 2nd before she has a chance to decide she doesn't like sleeping... Just not sure how to do that...

kmkaull
11-22-2013, 01:57 AM
I am using it right now fr my 5 month old. I am obsessed with this thing! It helps wean off the swaddle because it muffles the startle reflex. Dd looks just like Ralphie from A Christmas Story in his snowsuit, so be prepared for agood laugh. The fabric breathes so baby doesn't overheat.

DD still wakes once or twice to nurse, but she sleeps well from 6:30 pm to 6 or 7 am. No waking because of busting out of her swaddle.

She is about 14-15 pounds and the small fits her well.

essnce629
11-22-2013, 02:43 AM
Ooo, that looks cool! I'm going to tell my pregnant best friend about it!

babyfiorina1
11-22-2013, 12:37 PM
I am using it right now fr my 5 month old. I am obsessed with this thing! It helps wean off the swaddle because it muffles the startle reflex. Dd looks just like Ralphie from A Christmas Story in his snowsuit, so be prepared for agood laugh. The fabric breathes so baby doesn't overheat.

DD still wakes once or twice to nurse, but she sleeps well from 6:30 pm to 6 or 7 am. No waking because of busting out of her swaddle.

She is about 14-15 pounds and the small fits her well.

That's good to hear. I have high hopes for this suit and an overtired baby that simply won't take nap unless I carry him and nurse him all day long, which initially I don't mind, but I really need a break now.

babyfiorina1
11-28-2013, 01:46 PM
We tried the suit for 3 days and DS hated it :( he cried every time I put him in there. Not sure why. It didn't help with his naps too, unfortunately. I soothed him and put him in his crib with the suit on and he still wouldnt nap no matter what. I followed recommendation not to overdress him to prevent over heating, but still no luck. I bf him exclusively and so I need to take him in and out of the suit each time I nurse him because I found it too bulky to nurse him with the suit on. I don't see problem if you bottle feed. He got upset each time I did that.
I know there are lots good review on this suit, I guess it just didn't work for DS. DS has always been sleeping well in his crib at night and will wake up twice to nurse. I just go back to halo swaddle at night and at day time, I find that he likes napping in the swing (without the swinging motion). I guess I got so fixated with getting him to nap in his crib that it stressed me out (and him). I realized he doesn't have to. He is only 6 weeks old anyway, As long as he is well rested, I'm okay with him napping in his swing for now and he'll still sleep in his crib at night.

So, I'm returning the suit. I wanted it to work so badly, but I guess along the way I found what works for him at the moment. It may work for other babies though. But he looked really cute and funny in the suit. DH said like teletubbies lol. Good luck!

kmkaull
11-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Bummer. I will say that DD didn't like it at first. I came back to it a month later and it worked. 6 weeks?? Just get him to sleep where and when you can! Daytime sleep regulates later anyway. I would just keep swaddling for now the magic of merlin seems to come when you need to get them off the swaddle.

I do nurse dd with the suit on, but it has taken some manuvering to get that down. Anyway,just some tidbits in case you want to hang onto it and try again when he is older!

babyfiorina1
02-25-2014, 01:37 PM
Bummer. I will say that DD didn't like it at first. I came back to it a month later and it worked. 6 weeks?? Just get him to sleep where and when you can! Daytime sleep regulates later anyway. I would just keep swaddling for now the magic of merlin seems to come when you need to get them off the swaddle.

I do nurse dd with the suit on, but it has taken some manuvering to get that down. Anyway,just some tidbits in case you want to hang onto it and try again when he is older!

I actually returned it but I ordered it again and going to try my luck again now that he is 4.5 months. I hope it helps to stop him from rolling over at the moment and he can sleep better without waking himself up. I'll try to nurse him in it and see how it goes. Will update. Wish me luck !! The suit should be here tomorrow!