PDA

View Full Version : (Update/Question #15) best age for Magnatiles (or similar knockoffs)?

♥ms.pacman♥
11-22-2013, 05:35 PM
ok all the threads on the Magnatiles & knock-offs (PlayMags, etc) have gotten me interested in these. though, i'm just worried my kids won't be into them and/or will get frustrated with them bc they won't have the dexterity to build intricate things. They will be 2.75 and almost 4 for Christmas. is this a good age?? Could they make towers and such at that age? they both love building with Duplos and DS loves Legos but they obviously stick together much better. DS loves to build with his wooden tracks as well, but i guess its' different than making towers, etc.

I am thinking of getting the Playmags bc they are cheaper ($84 for 100pc set on amazon) plus it comes with the car/train.

and is it bad that part of the reason i'm considering these is that they will be easier to clean up, and even if i dont i't won't hurt as much if I step on them in the middle of the night?? Can't say the same for Duplos or wooden trains.... lol

mikala
11-22-2013, 05:59 PM
This is a perfect age. Ds1 got them at 2.5 and still loves them at 4. He's been building structures since the beginning. He likes to make homes for his toy vehicles and animals.

fedoragirl
11-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Magnatiles are the best toy I have given my children. I would gift it over and over again. In fact, DS will be getting a set for his 3rd birthday. We gave DD a set for her 3rd birthday. They are her special toy and the only toy that remains in her room. Both children play with them every.single.day. They are so easy to clean and the kids love sorting and putting them away. I wish I could give DS a set now at age 2 but I can't get the set to travel overseas just yet. He'll have to wait till his grandparents visit.
I was also worried that my kids wouldn't be into this toy and it's not exactly cheap. Best investment ever. And the coolness factor is so high since you can't get magnatiles in Germany. LOL

georgiegirl
11-22-2013, 06:02 PM
We got them when DS was 2.5 and DD was 5.5. It took DS a few weeks to figure out how to build with them without getting frustrated. That was 2 years ago and both still play magnatiles daily. I ordered a second set since they are constantly fighting over them,

wallawala
11-22-2013, 06:22 PM
DS was 18 months and DD was 4 when I bought my first set (about 6 months ago). She loves to build, he loves to knock them down! But he is starting to really enjoy the building part too.

Sounds like you are at the right age. But other posters with much older kids have commented on previous threads that they are well loved. So I think they have a great longevity potential!

♥ms.pacman♥
11-22-2013, 06:25 PM
thanks for the replies, everyone!! i know see that with that code 100pc magnatiles would be $90 from creativekidstuff...that's only $6 more than the Playmags so i may just go with Magnatiles and buy the PLaymags carset (with 4 cars plus the "fences") separately, since they are compatible.

Do your kids build/play with them on the floor or at a kids table/light table? i'd love to get a light table but they are pricey, plus I don't know where we'd put it!

fedoragirl
11-22-2013, 06:31 PM
We do it on the floor. I don't bother with a table and all that but it would be nice to have it.

kristac
11-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Perfect age. We have magnatiles but I am really tempted by the playmags train. You can make you own light table fairly cheap if you want. Check pinterest.

mackmama
11-22-2013, 07:03 PM
We use magnatiles on the floor. DC is meh about them though. I think we need more as we only have a starter said of about 20.

georgiegirl
11-22-2013, 07:31 PM
We just play on the floor. They pair great with matchboxes sized cars and schleich animals. And they make great hexbug mazes too.

Blakes Mommy
11-22-2013, 08:57 PM
thanks for the replies, everyone!! i know see that with that code 100pc magnatiles would be $90 from creativekidstuff...that's only $6 more than the Playmags so i may just go with Magnatiles and buy the PLaymags carset (with 4 cars plus the "fences") separately, since they are compatible.

Do your kids build/play with them on the floor or at a kids table/light table? i'd love to get a light table but they are pricey, plus I don't know where we'd put it!

They also have Playmags on Overstock for less....I think my thread a few days ago is why you may be considering these. One of the posters (YouAreTheFocus) found a better deal at Overstock. There was a 10% code on Retail me not that was good for anyone, but now it looks like it is gone. Better yet there is a 12% for new customers...Here is a link to the Overstock coupon page. If you have never ordered from them it will bring down under $70.

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Playmags-100-piece-Magnetic-Blocks/8146399/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&ef_id=Ug8efwAAAHeo0Mkm:20131118182352:s

http://www.overstock.com/coupons

Of course after all my research and pondering back and forth I saw the Magnformers video and showed my husband so we are probably leaning that way also I showed one of my DS's both the different types and he voted for the Magformers. My kids are older and we think they may like those better, They just turned 6 and 8, for your age kids though I would go for the Magnatiles or Playmags...I still haven't ordered, such hard decisions! I think I have a harder time with toys sometimes than I do picking out a new car!

acmom
11-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Magnatiles are the best toy I have given my children. I would gift it over and over again.

:yeahthat: We got our first 2 sets when my kids were exactly the ages of your kids and they have been played with daily since then by both DS and DD. They use them with little animals, playmobil people, super hero and princess figures, matchbox cars, little sports guys, etc. They make awesome stuff and they are a breeze to clean up! They are a toy that I enjoy too. :)

123LuckyMom
11-22-2013, 09:45 PM
Ours didn't get much play until DS was 3.5 or 4, but they became huge hits, and I love them, too! DD is fascinated by them at 20 months, and she likes helping to clean them up by waving one over another and hearing them snap together. She's not quite building with them yet, but that time will come.

citymama
11-23-2013, 01:13 AM
DD2 is 3.5 and crazy about her Magformers. I'm getting her the Magnatiles and hope she loves them as much. All kids who visit, from 2 to 50, adore the Magformers. DH likes them almost as much as the kids do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

♥ms.pacman♥
11-24-2013, 09:17 PM
thanks BlakesMommy for reminding me of that Overstock deal, i had forgotten about it!!

so i guess it's $70 for Playmags vs. $90 vs Magnatiles set (both 100 pcs). For a $20 difference, and the addition of the car, i am leaning towards the playmags. However, i went to Amazon to check out the reviews further and now i'm a bit worried after seeing huge influx of (seemingly fake) Amazon reviews.

Is it just me but over 30 ALL short, 5-star glowing reviews ALL POSTED YESTERDAY? Remember few days ago when there was only 7 reviews?? Now there are 44!!! It am really suspicious now :( I dunno, i get the feeling that if they were really that good salespeople wouldn't have to be dishonest to sell them..

http://www.amazon.com/Playmags-Clear-Color-Magnetic-Building/dp/B00G5JW5T4/ref=sr_1_1?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1385342031&sr=1-1&keywords=playmags

georgiegirl
11-24-2013, 09:25 PM
Yes. Those look fake...all have very similar language and are two lines.

essnce629
11-24-2013, 09:37 PM
FAKE, fake, fake! I'd skip them and go for the tried and true Magnatiles!

acmom
11-24-2013, 09:42 PM
I'd skip them and go for the tried and true Magnatiles!

:yeahthat: We got burned on a cheaper magnet toy (one of the kinds with balls and sticks) and they were basically never used bc the magnets weren't strong enough to build with. Especially since the difference is only $20, I'd go with the magnatiles. They are worth every penny at my house for the amount of play they get.