PDA

View Full Version : Getting downy out of clothes?

nupe
11-23-2013, 08:35 AM
I bought some "worn once" clothes that reek of downy. I soaked in Charlie's soap and washed with vinegar rinse. The smell is less but not gone vshould I do the same thing again of try something else.

mikala
11-23-2013, 09:00 AM
I'd try something like Tide. You might be trading one scent for another but the tide will fade. Ime charlie's doesn't work well on basic smells like sweat so I wouldn't expect it to do well with something tougher like fabric softener. Good luck!

123LuckyMom
11-23-2013, 10:36 AM
I'd throw the vinegar in with the regular wash, not as a rinse. You don't even need to use soap. I'd do a "wash" in just vinegar and water, a rinse, spin and dry as usual. The vinegar WILL take the smell out, but you need to use enough. The clothes should come out of the washer smelling vinegary. The smell will go away when the clothes are dry.

lizzywednesday
11-23-2013, 02:53 PM
Seconding the vinegar - it's like stripping cloth diapers at this point.

You can try OxyClean Free or Rockin' Green (Rock a Soak - order a sample of Barenaked Babies, their unscented formula) in an overnight soak if the vinegar doesn't do the trick.

nupe
12-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Thanks!

RedSuedeShoes
12-05-2013, 06:12 PM
If vinegar doesn't work I'd try ammonia - either a soak or just add to washer. I've recently rediscovered it & it's especially good at removing residues. Do NOT mix with bleach, of course.

Nooknookmom
12-14-2013, 02:54 AM
Or baking soda...I get the huge box just for the occasional deep washing and de smelling of our clothes. I can't do bleach (migraines) I'd try that if vinegar fails.

123LuckyMom
12-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Or baking soda...I get the huge box just for the occasional deep washing and de smelling of our clothes. I can't do bleach (migraines) I'd try that if vinegar fails.

How does this work? Doesn't the baking soda make a paste in the wash? How do you use it?

Nooknookmom
12-14-2013, 11:46 AM
How does this work? Doesn't the baking soda make a paste in the wash? How do you use it?

I sprinkle a 1/2 c on top of my load. Or u can mix it with water first then it will be pre dissolved. Never had an issue. Learned it from a friend w/ 3 kids & loads of laundry. She's an all natural kinda gal.

123LuckyMom
12-14-2013, 12:32 PM
I sprinkle a 1/2 c on top of my load. Or u can mix it with water first then it will be pre dissolved. Never had an issue. Learned it from a friend w/ 3 kids & loads of laundry. She's an all natural kinda gal.

Thanks for the tip!

Nooknookmom
12-17-2013, 02:34 AM
M
Thanks for the tip!

Welcome! I just used my arm n hammer this weekend too.