PDA

View Full Version : More than one American Girl doll?

sarahsthreads
11-24-2013, 03:57 PM
DD1 bought her first AG doll last year with birthday money, one that looks like her. We've been pleased with the quality and she definitely plays with the doll a lot. Now she really wants Saige, and actually has enough money saved up to buy her. Since she's the girl of the year, we would need to order soon - and with free shipping through 11/26, I'd want to order by then!

DH is concerned that next year she'll want the GOTY, and the year after that, and so on and we'll wind up with a house full of AG dolls. Now, my thinking is, a) if she's saving up her own money to buy them, why not let her? and b) she wants this particular GOTY because certain things about her are appealing, so who knows if she'll really want next years? She loves art. Saige loves art. She's in fourth grade. Saige is in fourth grade. She gets nervous having to speak in front of a crowd. Saige gets nervous having to speak in front of a crowd...and learns how to get past it. So...would you go ahead and let her get this second doll?

Sarah :)

Philly Mom
11-24-2013, 04:01 PM
She is buying it herself? Definitely. In another year she may be past the dolls all together anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

jenstring95
11-24-2013, 04:05 PM
I would. I would much rather have my child play with something that encourages imaginative play than something electronic. And if she's spending her own money, all the better. I think AG dolls are a great way for a child to spend money, and they are something that can be passed down to future generations as well. It sounds like Saige might even help your DD get over her fear of public speaking, and that alone is worth the money IMO!

KrisM
11-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Well, we have the last 3 GOTY dolls :). DD bought Saige with her own money this summer. She sets up things for them to do together - school, baking, etc. I think having more than 1 doll helps with this, as one is the teacher and the others are students etc.

So, yes, I'd let her.

sarahsthreads
11-24-2013, 05:06 PM
She is buying it herself? Definitely. In another year she may be past the dolls all together anyway.

Now this would surprise me, but I suppose you never know.

Thanks for all the reassurances. DH was so negative about it I thought maybe I was the crazy one. But while he doesn't think it's the best idea, it's not like he's going to put his foot down and not let her buy the doll, luckily. We'll order tonight! (I just want to see if there are a couple of small things I can add on for Christmas, so I have to do it after she's in bed.)

AngelaS
11-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Absolutely. My girls all have more than one. :)

georgiegirl
11-24-2013, 06:30 PM
With her own money, definitely. My DH is very anti-American girl doll. DD has one (Marie Grace from that good deal last year), but she would like more. DH adamantly says no.

Seitvonzu
11-24-2013, 11:22 PM
i'm another YES vote :) own money? yesyes :)

KpbS
11-25-2013, 12:39 AM
I would have a hard time saying no--even if it wasn't with her own money. :)

citymama
11-25-2013, 03:25 AM
Well, DD1 just got her third AG doll today at the Palo Alto store, so I say "yes"! She chose the first doll (Josefina) and this one (Molly) as holiday gifts from grandma for last year (J) and this year (M) and is crazy about both. I bought her Cecile for her bday and she didn't choose her - she was on sale. She likes her a bit less. I think if she has her heart set on it, and has saved up herself, you should let her. Free shipping is nice too.

The matching girl dress is really cute if you are looking for something to her her as a gift!

Next years GoTy doll, Isabelle, is a ballet dancer - in case that influences your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

essnce629
11-25-2013, 03:37 AM
Yes! And with her own money that she saved-- double yes!!!

Simon
11-25-2013, 09:09 AM
Yes, I support getting the 2nd doll, especially with her own money. Good for her!

egoldber
11-25-2013, 10:39 AM
Oh goodness yes! Older DD had 4 by the end of it. :o

lizzywednesday
11-25-2013, 10:43 AM

:yeahthat:

She saved and saved to get this one, I don't see the problem.

I had to earn mine - I have Molly & Kirsten - and they are among my most treasured things saved from my childhood.

swissair81
11-25-2013, 09:12 PM
DD2 has a Lani doll she earned as a prize when she was toilet trained (at 3.5). She will be 7 in March, and I somehow managed to snag a NIB Samantha on eBay with some of her accessories on some freakishly low holiday sale. I have two kid birthdays in February and March and I usually do the shopping during the holiday season. It seems much cheaper.

sarahsthreads
11-25-2013, 10:23 PM
Next years GoTy doll, Isabelle, is a ballet dancer - in case that influences your decision.
Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

I totally panicked when I read this (moments after ordering Saige) but then looked her up and found pictures. I don't think there's any contest - Isabelle is pretty enough, but Saige seems more unique. You could probably build a doll like Isabelle from the catalog, kwim?

Now, with the GOTY, there's no way to order her "stuff" after the new year, right?

citymama
11-25-2013, 11:30 PM
I totally panicked when I read this (moments after ordering Saige) but then looked her up and found pictures. I don't think there's any contest - Isabelle is pretty enough, but Saige seems more unique. You could probably build a doll like Isabelle from the catalog, kwim?

Now, with the GOTY, there's no way to order her "stuff" after the new year, right?

I love Saige - she's a beautiful doll and her dress is so pretty. You should buy her stuff now with the free shipping code (expires tomorrow, JOYFUL) and save for future birthdays and holidays!

KrisM
11-25-2013, 11:41 PM

Probably not. Some stuff will stick around until January. Some will pop up on sale. But, it's hard to predict.

This summer, we bought Kanani's swim suit as a purchase-with-purchase at the store. Kanani was 2011. And some of McKenna's outfits popped up online this summer briefly. But, if there are things you want, get them now.