PDA

View Full Version : Digital camera (not kid camera) for 8 year-old?

nabigus
11-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Our 8 year-old has put a digital camera at the top of his list, and I think he's totally ready for one. Any recommendations for specific ones? We don't want a "kid" camera, just a good basic digital point-and-shoot that actually takes good photos.

Thanks!

octmom
11-24-2013, 10:41 PM
No advice, but I'm looking for the same thing for my 10 y.o.

georgiegirl
11-24-2013, 11:12 PM
My DD (7.5) wants one too and I was thinking about giving her my old point and shoot. I never use it anymore since it's either iPhone or DSLR.

Sidney
11-25-2013, 12:44 AM
I gave our 3 year old an old Canon point and shoot. He loves it! We never did the kid camera. I'd just get a child an inexpensive P&S, especially for a kid that is older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mommy_Mea
11-25-2013, 07:23 AM
I read back on some old threads when researching this for DS1, and someone made a good suggestion of getting a waterproof/shockproof camera. I have this in my Amazon shopping cart:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATE7U64/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

But then Staples ran an amazing clearance and I picked up a decent P&S for $30. If the price drops on the Panasonic I have in my Amazon account to below $100, I may still go for it, it is a better camera than the $30 one, and I won't stress about it so much when DS1 is swinging it around :)

TwinFoxes
11-25-2013, 08:13 AM
I have liked Canon and Nikon p/s cameras. I don't think you can go wrong with those brands. I think it would be easiest to just set your price point, and find one that hits it. I would encourage getting one with image stabilization.

maydaymommy
11-25-2013, 10:15 PM
We followed advice (which most likely was from BBB) and got ds1 a "real" digital point & shoot camera that is waterproof and impact resistant.

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=6949856&pid=1218816308228

I think his is a Nikon Coolpix s30 or 31.

It's been great! Settings are easy to use, not too complicated, and it takes good pictures.

Only bad thing about the one he had us that it is not rechargeable! How crazy is that?! Have to keep feeding it aa batteries.

TwinFoxes
11-25-2013, 11:22 PM
Only bad thing about the one he had us that it is not rechargeable! How crazy is that?! Have to keep feeding it aa batteries.

I bought rechargeable AA batteries for my coolpix. I like cameras that use regular batteries, in a pinch you can always find AA. Random battery pack, not so much.

pb&j
11-25-2013, 11:34 PM
DS has this one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842880-REG/Canon_6145B001_PowerShot_D20_Digital_Camera.html

It's been great. Used it at the beach and lake.

lizzywednesday
11-26-2013, 10:37 AM
I bought rechargeable AA batteries for my coolpix. I like cameras that use regular batteries, in a pinch you can always find AA. Random battery pack, not so much.

:yeahthat:

Except I have a Canon. It was one of my requirements because I used my camera most often at a 2-day charity walk and would have had no way to charge my battery if I wanted to take pictures on the 2nd day.

I could always pop into a drugstore to buy AA batteries, though!

octmom
11-26-2013, 10:50 AM
DS has used three different p&s we have floating around the house. All use AA batteries, and that drives me nuts! He goes through batteries like crazy. I need to get him something with its own battery, sturdy, good quality pics and video, and water-resistant or waterproof would be great. I'm looking for a cyber Monday deal, if possible.