PDA

View Full Version : Formula for Dummies

alleycat
11-25-2013, 02:16 PM
I'm taking care of a neighbor's baby. Just six weeks old. I bf my three DCs so I know nothing about formula. She gave me a bottle of distilled water and the powder formula. I know the amounts to use. Anything else I need to know about formula? Amount of time sitting outside before I should toss? Any don'ts I should know about? Thanks.

TwoBees
11-25-2013, 03:05 PM
Add the water to the bottle first and then the powder, not the other way around. Don't shake---mix by flipping the bottle upside down a few times and swirling. I can't remember the amount of time it can sit out, an hour or two maybe? Refrigerate up to 24 hours. If you have the brand, you can go to the manufacturer's website for guidelines as to how long the room temp formula can remain at room temp.

alleycat
11-25-2013, 07:33 PM
The first bottle I added the powder first and couldn't see the amount of water I was pouring in so the second time I put the water first. And I shook it. Tomorrow I know not to do that. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Tondi G
11-26-2013, 01:45 AM
I always put the water in first. I always shook the bottle and had no issues. I wanted to make sure it all mixed well ... didn't want any clumps of formula in the bottle. We also used Playtex drop in bottles so we could get most of the air/bubbles out. We never warmed bottles ... just had room temperature bottled water.

I think the bottle can be out for an hour or so at room temp but then should be tossed. Once they are done eating ... whatever was left in the bottle usually got tossed and the bottle/nipple was rinsed out.

YouAreTheFocus
11-26-2013, 05:01 AM
I always put the water in first. I always shook the bottle and had no issues. I wanted to make sure it all mixed well ... didn't want any clumps of formula in the bottle. We also used Playtex drop in bottles so we could get most of the air/bubbles out. We never warmed bottles ... just had room temperature bottled water.

:yeahthat: to all of this!

TwoBees
11-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Wheny ou put the powder in first, and then add water using the bottle's measurements, the formula concentration will be incorrect. I don't think this is such an issue for older babies, but it can cause kidney issues in infants (or maybe just preemies? not sure). So if you add powder first you have to measure the water out in a separate container, and then pour in. Unless the package directs state otherwise, and I'm pretty sure Similac and Enfamil state water first.

From Similac:

How to mix formula
For proper mixing, follow these steps:

1.Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water.
2.Measure and pour desired amount of water into a bottle.
3.Add unpacked, level scoop(s) of powder as directed to the bottle. Return dry scoop to can.
4.Put the cap on the bottle and shake. (Tip: Moving your wrist in a twisting motion helps powder formula mix more quickly and more thoroughly.)
5.Feed or store immediately in refrigerator.

The reason for not shaking the bottle is to minimize air bubbles. If the baby doesn't have issues with that, than I wouldn't worry about shaking.

Piglet
11-26-2013, 12:12 PM
Water first, then formula. We always stirred the formula with a chopstick. If the baby isn't fussy about the temperature, then room temp water is fine, otherwise, we would put the mixed bottle of formula in a cup of hot water for a few minutes to warm up a bit.

Simon
11-26-2013, 05:42 PM
Our state regulations say any formula in a bottle that has touched baby's mouth must be tossed after 1 hour from start of feeding. Otherwise, a bottle can be made early and kept at room temp for up to 2 hours.