PDA

View Full Version : People who always need to be the special exception!

ha98ed14
11-27-2013, 06:05 PM
You know, those people who can never just go along as part of the group but somehow need to make a special case of themselves.

We have an "great aunt" type who refuses to actually eat dinner with us. She wants to come, but not eat. She called this afternoon to ask what time we were eating so that she made sure to arrive after. No, this is not dietary restrictions-- this is attention getting, so that my FIL and MIL will say, "Oh Aunt Rose, why won't you have some turkey, pie..." and Aunt Rose can say no because it's already been put away and she doesn't want to "put us out." Well, Auntie, I am more put out that you do not just come and enjoy the meal and the time with your family. That's what being a gracious guest is. Don't make a special exception of yourself.

And then there is BIL's mother who will not commit to coming. She wants to just leave it open. Ok, fine. I get it. She's old. But as the hostess, I have 3 people who "might be coming" and because it is important TO ME to have enough food and spaces at the table, it irks me. So if you come, don't expect me to move my 6 y.o. DD and 6 y.o. DN so you can have a spot. Why should my kid get the shaft? I just wish you'd make up your mind!

niccig
11-27-2013, 06:38 PM
You know, those people who can never just go along as part of the group but somehow need to make a special case of themselves.

We have an "great aunt" type who refuses to actually eat dinner with us. She wants to come, but not eat. She called this afternoon to ask what time we were eating so that she made sure to arrive after. No, this is not dietary restrictions-- this is attention getting, so that my FIL and MIL will say, "Oh Aunt Rose, why won't you have some turkey, pie..." and Aunt Rose can say no because it's already been put away and she doesn't want to "put us out." Well, Auntie, I am more put out that you do not just come and enjoy the meal and the time with your family. That's what being a gracious guest is. Don't make a special exception of yourself.

And then there is BIL's mother who will not commit to coming. She wants to just leave it open. Ok, fine. I get it. She's old. But as the hostess, I have 3 people who "might be coming" and because it is important TO ME to have enough food and spaces at the table, it irks me. So if you come, don't expect me to move my 6 y.o. DD and 6 y.o. DN so you can have a spot. Why should my kid get the shaft? I just wish you'd make up your mind!

That is just crazy. I agree it's probably attention seeking. My grandmother and DH's grandmother used to do similar things. I'd just plan on 3 people being there and have extra leftovers if they're not.

hellokitty
11-27-2013, 07:33 PM
Ugh! I totally feel your pain! We have members on both sides of the family that pull crap like that. I think the most epic one was my uncle, who's my dad's brother. He drove from northern California to attend my brother's wedding in San diego , but kept insisting that he was just coming to the ceremony, not to worry, because he wasn't going to eat, but would just turn around and drive home right after the ceremony! This was a very expensive affair, and even my dad's crazy family got upset with my uncle for pulling that. In the end they convinced him to stay for the reception, but instead of getting a hotel, he and his wife slept in their car! And they aren't poor, he's just incredibly cheap and mean. Not surprisingly, the same uncle's son has done really similar crap to our family too (he lives close to my parents), showing up 6 hrs late to holiday dinners and then deciding that he is just going to stay overnight, etc.. It is infuriating dealing with ppl like this. Bil is like your old relative, who never wants to commit to anything, so he always has an out and my younger brother has been known to do the same thing too. My mil is a pain too and yes, its for attn. She's even admitted to my brother at a holiday meal several yrs ago, that she is, " a special exception," and I just remember rolling my eyes and my brother came up to me after dinner and told me that my mil is crazy.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

janine
11-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Geesh, that is something else. Making it alllll abou them. People are crazy (as a disclaimer I'm in a mood now).

MMMommy
11-27-2013, 09:19 PM
That really is super annoying. Why can't people just be gracious and make things easier for the host? The host already has enough on their plate.

BunnyBee
11-28-2013, 01:00 AM
Huh, you didn't accidentally give her the wrong time, did you? ;)

And you need a maybe table instead of a kid table!