PDA

View Full Version : To buy or not to buy AG Molly

KpbS
11-28-2013, 02:32 AM
I am on the fence about buying Molly (retiring AG doll) and possibly Emily (Molly's friend) to put away for DD. DD is almost 3 and likes dolls. She goes through phases where she will play with them a bunch and then play with other toys for awhile. I showed her the catalog in hopes she would express a specific interest in one doll over another but she liked them all. :)

I love the historical dolls and am sad they are retiring some and making fewer historical dolls than others. We inherited a Samantha doll a few months ago but she has loose limbs and needs a trip to the doll hospital to be able to hold a pose. I'm not sure if I should pay to have Samantha repaired or sell her to buy Molly or Molly and Emily. WWYD?

citymama
11-28-2013, 04:05 AM
I think the main reason to buy her would be your own relationship to Molly, weird as that sounds. Your DD is 3; by the time she's 6 or 7, there will be new dolls and old dolls to choose from that will make her as happy as Molly would. But if you always wanted Molly as a kid, or have special associations with her and would regret not getting her, then get her now!

DD1 got Molly last weekend as an early Hanukkah present. She is the one who decided she wanted Molly rather than another doll. She got great joy out of getting the doll in store and picking her out herself.

Between MIL and I, we've bought 5-6 outfits, her dog, her bed/bedding and assorted extras that we are going to give DD over time. She got the floral pjs girl/doll matching set tonight and its adorable to see them match (DD looks like Molly!). But I can't imagine having bought these 4 years ago to give her.

Now I know that if Kaya were to retire, I would undoubtedly buy her and her collection to keep - if not for DD2 then for me! But she is absolutely my favorite doll had the one I'd have picked for DD if I had bought ahead.

If you do end up buying Molly, keep an eye on the AG site on cyber Monday. I found some great deals on her items over the past two weeks sales (with free ship!) and I suspect some of her stuff may be included again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

lizzywednesday
11-28-2013, 11:32 PM
I love my Molly doll and have no intention of giving her to DD to play with.

Ever.

Ever.

Ever.

Part of the reason I love her so much is that she's really scrappy.

The other part of the reason I love her so much is she became a gateway to opening conversations with my maternal grandmother - Grandma was 13 in 1944, so not too much older than Molly (9 going on 10.) A lot of her experiences matched up with my grandmother's, so they allowed me to ask all kinds of questions that maybe I wouldn't have otherwise.

If it were me, I'd buy her anyway. The doll hospital will always be there; Molly won't.