PDA

View Full Version : What do you get for the third kid (baby) when you already have toys for the older 2?

goldenpig
11-30-2013, 12:58 PM
OK, I know this sounds incredibly entitled and "First World Problem"-ish, but what do you do for gifts for the youngest if you already have lots of toys for the older two? For Christmas, I'm planning to wrap some of the old baby toys from when DD and DS1 were little as gifts to the baby. I know that sounds lame, but pretty much everything I can think of getting for a baby we already have. And I've bought a bunch of toys for the two older ones this year because they're getting older so there's lots of new things they can now play with (science kits and so on, see my science toys thread (http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?469299-Recs-for-great-science-kit-S-o-Goldieblox-other-good-math-science-engineering-toys)), but I haven't bought anything for DS2 except a Thomas Rollercoaster (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=21008336&mr:referralID=67cb6345-59e3-11e3-9f1f-001b2166becc&cagpspn=plat_15815385&camp=PLAPPC-_-PID15815385&KPID=15815385) from Santa when it was on sale for $79 at TRU (DH is going to kill me--we have no space for this, as we are already over-run with toys :bag. But I had to get something new for baby, so that DD and DS1 don't get suspicious about Santa). I feel a little bad for DS2 as he is always going to get hand-me-down toys and clothes (although they are nice hand-me-downs!).

But Grandma is asking for ideas for gifts as we are going to visit them for Christmas this year with all the cousins. What are some good gifts (Grandma asked for $50 range or less), for babies/toddlers?
I was thinking of this zebra scooter (although we already have a ladybug ride-on and a Haba walker chair):
http://www.amazon.com/VTech-3-in-1-Learning-Zebra-Scooter/dp/B0038B9GG2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385830254&sr=8-1&keywords=vtech+zebra
But I am going to be taking all 3 of them there by myself (DH is working) and I don't know if I can fit that big scooter into the suitcase to take back with me.

And in general, what do you buy your third kid, if you already spoil your older two? I suppose in a couple of years DS2 will not always want to have just hand-me-down toys. Do you go more with "experience" type gifts? Thanks so much!
(And yes, I totally know I need to re-read Simplicity Parenting. Maybe for my New Year's resolution :ROTFLMAO:).

KrisM
11-30-2013, 01:08 PM
Well, I had relatives "shop" my house before Christmas and his first birthday. They all took something home, wrapped it, and gifted it. I did not need more baby/toddler toys!

And, he got stuff like a Twilight Turtle, Pillow Pet, etc that were out after DS1 was that age.

hellokitty
11-30-2013, 02:26 PM
I had the same issue and let family members give something small and then most of them also included a check to deposit into his savings acct.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

MommyAllison
11-30-2013, 03:02 PM
We have run into this too! This year Dd2's big gift is a play kitchen that was Dd1's, which we put away when dd2 was born so she doesn't remember it at all. We have given her things that we didn't get into with the older two, like Little People, Sophie the Giraffe, different board books, new dress up clothes, new Corolle doll, we've done a lot of Green Toys since they've come out with lots of new things...but it is a challenge and I can't figure out how to spend some of the birthday money great-grandpa sent for us to buy her a toy with.

essnce629
11-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Books! With DS2 all we got him for his 1st birthday was a new sling bookshelf for his room and a bunch of board books we didn't have.

123LuckyMom
11-30-2013, 07:34 PM
I like personalized stuff if you want things that are new. I also think the re gifting from your own house is brilliant, and the baby won't care. I'd go for it if your older kids won't reclaim what once was theirs.

brittone2
12-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Some ideas:
Practical stuff that you might want anyway. Clothes, socks, new shoes, new sippy cups, hair accessories, baby leg warmers. Nice teether (haba or similar), something personalized. Books. Special blankie or lovey (my third got a beautiful hand dyed cotton velour ticketybu blanket as a newborn). Personalized ornament (DS2 got a little handmade baby block from etsy with his birth date, weight, etc. on various sides as his first Christmas ornament). Music? At that age I'd still get 1-2 new toys but would try to put a lot of perfect into something just right or sort of heirloomy, and then maybe pick up some more practical items you might need like new baby shoes.

swissair81
12-01-2013, 04:10 PM
I was lucky with number 3, because he was a boy and my first two were girls. I also had to replace a lot of things after our flood for the younger two girls. I save what is nice and salvageable, sell or give away the rest and get what I need that's new. This year, DD4 got a wheelbug for Chanukah because all of our ride ons were ruined. When I don't need anything for a particular kid, I get them books, needed clothes, some kind of consumable activity. DD3 gets a lot of hairclips as presents, because her hair is impossible.