PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have issues with their Perplexus Rookie?

hellokitty
12-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Last yr, due to the raves here at BBB, I got my kids both the Original Perplexus and the Perplexus Rookie. We had great fun last yr playing it and the kids have played with it briefly on and off throughout the yr. I was just thinking today that if I could find a good deal on the Epic, that I should get it. However, today I saw our Rookie in the playroom and picked it up to play with, only to discover that some of the plastic ramps within the maze have shifted and the marble now gets stuck and doesn't move smoothly, the way it should over certain ramps. DH took a look at it and said that it looks like an issue with the plastic shifting. The toy has never been outside of our house and we keep our temperature pretty consistent, so I don't think that it would be from big shifts of temperature.

Anyway, I just sent a note to their CS and am hoping to hear back, since the toy isn't even a yr old yet and my youngest one hasn't even had a chance to play with it much at all. Out of curiousity, I went to Amazon to check the reviews and discovered that there are a LOT of ppl who had the same issue as I did. I am waiting to hear back from the company, I would like a replacement of the item, but was also curious, since so many BBBer's bought this item as well, whether or not any of you have had issues and if you went to the company to get it resolved.

IansMom
12-01-2013, 09:02 PM
We have had the Perplexus Rookie since this summer and we havent had a problem. DS is 4 and has been quite rough with it. He has dropped it a few times and is still able to solve it.

vonfirmath
12-01-2013, 10:20 PM
We got a Perplexus Rookie for DS for Christmas last year. It worked Beautifully for 10 months, until our 2 year old threw it and the top popped off. I would not dream of taking this issue to Customer Service. The toy should not be dropped/thrown. Its our issue, not theirs.

We're replacing it this year.

hellokitty
12-01-2013, 10:32 PM
We got a Perplexus Rookie for DS for Christmas last year. It worked Beautifully for 10 months, until our 2 year old threw it and the top popped off. I would not dream of taking this issue to Customer Service. The toy should not be dropped/thrown. Its our issue, not theirs.

We're replacing it this year.

My kids haven't dropped the toy like that, so that's the thing that bugs me. It's not that there are parts floating around the ball, it looks like a couple of the plastic ramps are slightly dislocated. I just pulled out our original perplexus tonight to check it and it is completely fine.

khalloc
12-02-2013, 10:15 AM
We had a Perplexus Rookie. DD bought it at Toys R Us with her own Gift Certificate.

We used it for a week or 2 and realized there was a spot in the maze that was impossible to get by. The ramps had an extra bit of plastic that made the ball not fit down the ramp. I ended up emailing the company and they made me take pictures of the toy and they had me write a big "X" on it with a Sharpie. A few days later I received a new one in the mail. But it wasnt the rookie maze. It was the next step up. We just kept that one, it was fine and I was impressed that they sent a new one out without making us ship the old one back to them.

mikeys_mom
12-02-2013, 10:50 AM
We had the Rookie and had a similar problem. It seemed like parts of the track inside had shifted. DD1 had been very careful with it. It was never thrown around. It may have rolled around the floor a bit but no more wear and tear than you would expect from a toy designed for a child that age. We had bought it at a small, local toy store and they took it back. The woman told me that they had many returns of the Rookie for similar reasons.

DS got the Epic about a year later. It is constructed the same way as the Rookie and after a couple of weeks we had a similar issue. Toys R Us took it back.

We now have the Original and the Twist and have not had any issues with them. They are constructed differently than the Rookie and Epic. I find it so odd that the company would construct them this way when they clearly have a more solidly built option that they use with the other versions. It's unfortunate because DS really liked the Epic. The Twist is fun but much more challenging than the Epic and requires lots of patience. The favorite around here is generally the Original.