PDA

View Full Version : Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, Carcassone??

lfp2n
12-03-2013, 09:16 AM
I'd like to get a new board game for Xmas. It will need to work with 3 players. DD is 10 and great at Monoploy, Life etc and we 'd like something new. For me personally my tolerance runs out after about 60-90 mins so nothing that goes on for ever. Anyone played Ticket to Ride, Carcassone, Settlers of Catan? Would they hold interest for kid and adult alike? Anything else I should consider?

SnuggleBuggles
12-03-2013, 09:26 AM
I've played all but Settlers. I know people love that one though. We used to be really into Carcassonne even though I never totally got it. :). I enjoy Ticket to Ride. We have the one for 2- 3 players- Nordic Countries You should put Forbidden Island on your list. It's a cooperative game and faster play than the others.

ahisma
12-03-2013, 10:51 AM
We're big fans of Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride. I've never played Carcassonne.

I second the recommendation for Forbidden Island.

keh602
12-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Ticket to Ride is a huge hit here. We have a ton of board games and semi-regular game nights, and despite DH's best efforts to try out new games, Ticket to Ride comes out every single time.

DH and I have played Forbidden Island, and it is fun. We keep saying we're going to try it out with DD.

o_mom
12-03-2013, 06:43 PM
I have only played Carcassone. It plays pretty quickly and my 8 and 10yos are pretty good at it. It has expansions too, but read about them before you buy as some really change the game.

queenmama
12-03-2013, 08:26 PM
We love Settlers and I think the instructions say it can be played within your time frame. ;) It can drag out if people take long turns trading, etc, but I feel like it's a quicker game than Risk, for example.

Lara

MichelleRC
12-04-2013, 08:26 AM
My 9 yo got Forbidden Island for one night of Chanukah, and he loves it. He and I have played it a few times already. One thing I like is that it can be played with just 2 players. Quite a few of these games need 3+. The cooperative aspect is great since he is super competitive and can get a little carried away.

jodi_b
12-04-2013, 01:49 PM
I've played all three. They're all good games and a 10 year old would be able to play them. I would also cast a vote for Forbidden Island. It's one of my 8 year olds favorite games (although I think DH might have simplified the game play a bit).

My order:
1. Forbidden Island
2. Ticket to Ride
3. Settlers of Catan (Settlers with expansions is one of my favorite games, but the expansions might be a bit beyond a 10 year old)
4. Carcassone (UNLESS your DD is into visuals and creating mazes, maps, etc, then Carcassone would move up on the list. My DD just likes to 'design' with the tiles from time to time.)