PDA

View Full Version : Considering a big Container Store purchase...

kaitlyns.mom
12-03-2013, 01:57 PM
As a shoot-off to my thread about kids not taking care of their belongings, I've decided I need to get organized with these toys once and for all. Right now we use a hodge-podge of containers/storage, and some are kept in the downstairs closet, some on a shelf in the living room, some in DD's room. The containers all look different and don't stack, and no one ever puts things back in their "right" place because they don't know where that is. I'm debating buying a case (20) of sweater boxes and a 4x4 Expedit for our sunroom, which we are fixing up to be the playroom, and keeping all the toys in one place. That way I could sort out bigger categories into the boxes and the kids could see what is in them before pulling them off the shelf. But it's an investment and I'm not sure I'm ready to pull the trigger. I feel like having invested in containers that match and can easily be labeled will help everyone be more organized, but I don't want to spend the money! Thoughts?

FWIW TCS has free shipping this week...

npace19147
12-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Lots of organizing gurus say buying the containers should be one of the last steps, not the first. First purge and sort out what you actually want to keep and have accessible. Maybe then try creating a list of what different categories you want to have, and label the containers you already have with pictures/words so the kids can tell what goes where. If that works, then once your playroom is set up you'll have a better idea of how many and what size containers you need.

I am a frequent victim of buying pretty organizers and then not following through on the organizing part! Labels have been a huge help for me, I love my labelmaker!

WatchingThemGrow
12-03-2013, 03:07 PM
I find the various sizes of multipurpose bins more useful- maybe just a few of the sweater boxes...

wellyes
12-03-2013, 03:43 PM
I bought a case of the clear plastic shoe boxes for the exact same purpose, and now they are strewn about, part of the clutter!

kaitlyns.mom
12-05-2013, 02:55 AM
I bought a case of the clear plastic shoe boxes for the exact same purpose, and now they are strewn about, part of the clutter!

Not encouraging! :ROTFLMAO:

OK, so I've waited on making the purchase. I like the idea of the multipurpose bins too, I was just hoping for lids so they could stack and be less tempting to dump.

WatchingThemGrow
12-05-2013, 08:11 AM
Not encouraging! :ROTFLMAO:

OK, so I've waited on making the purchase. I like the idea of the multipurpose bins too, I was just hoping for lids so they could stack and be less tempting to dump.
Yes, prone to dumping, but IME, lids are part of the problem. They take up a good amount of floor space during playtime. The mpbins are good b/c you can walk by and toss stuff in the top without having to use 2 hands to open it.

egoldber
12-05-2013, 09:45 AM
I do think that lids are part of the problem, but I find them very useful for keeping things together as a set. Not everyone cares but both me and my kids are a tad compulsive about this..... :o

I really like these open top bins for the Expedit: http://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-16268006-Basket-Titanium-Inserts/dp/B002BDTET2/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1386251023&sr=8-7&keywords=sterilite+extra+large

They fit perfectly in one section and are easy for the kids to get in and out.

mikeys_mom
12-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Lots of organizing gurus say buying the containers should be one of the last steps, not the first. First purge and sort out what you actually want to keep and have accessible. Maybe then try creating a list of what different categories you want to have, and label the containers you already have with pictures/words so the kids can tell what goes where. If that works, then once your playroom is set up you'll have a better idea of how many and what size containers you need.

I couldn't agree more. I am no organizing expert but what finally has helped reduce the constant mess of toys around the house was making a plan of which toys to keep where and what size bin they need. For example, all the Little Pet Shop animals and accessories don't need a huge bin but the My Little Ponies are bulkier and do need more space. We now have fewer bins with very specific labels and the kids all know what goes where. Makes daily clean-up quick, easy and manageable.

I had the exact same problem when I bought a dozen of those bins at Costco. The one-size fits all bin situation was not working. It didn't help that my original plan was to stack them on the floor and not on a shelving unit but I really think the bigger problem was that I didn't think through what I would put in the bins.

abh5e8
12-05-2013, 11:56 AM
ill also disagree :) for us, having a defined location and volume of space for toy storage was the best first step. then, purge toys to fit that space. nothing new unless something old is out. i think the expedit + bins is a great plan. just stick to it. although you may want more variety in the size of bins. i also prefer to have lids, although sometimes i leave them off. it makes rotation toys easier. i think following through with the entire organizing process and then enforcing the new rules (regarding how many toys, where they live and keeping them picked up) is key. but its so worth it!!! kids can learn. mine are living proof. :)

we use billy bookcases with doors (and child locks - the magnet key kind) on the bottom shelves. i use the open top fabric bins from walmart and they work well. for big toy collections, i use big plastic boxes with lids and they live in the basement. just 1 comes upstairs at a time.

mnosky1
02-17-2014, 02:21 PM
An expedit with bins worked great for us without much planning - I KNOW buying containers is supposed to be the last part but it is what inspires me to organize - I often buy a bunch of container then return what doesn't work.
In this case - maybe try and figure out what will go in the Expedit - just so you know it will work but it is so versatile. I used big plastic Sterlite containe - white one with holes. spray painted them colors to match the basement playroom. No lids - they go just about to top of the space anyway. Things bins have held: My little ponies, Little pet shop (we definitely filled a bin!) Calico critters, Mr. Potatoe head, Legos, Duplos, Mini princess dolls and outfits, Polly pockets, muscial instruments, mickey mouse clubhouse parts, small balls. Then other shelves have held games(stacked), puzzles (stacked), wii Games free standing and the remotes in a basket. The top has some stuffed animals for "decor" a light and bigger calico critter and pet shop sets.

wendibird22
02-17-2014, 02:41 PM
Nevermind.

niccig
02-18-2014, 10:04 PM
I got sweater bins and multipurpose boxes a few years ago and it changed the toy storage in the expedit. In some shelves, I have one big sweater bin without a lid, as it won't fit with lid on it - this holds big cars and trucks. In others I have 2 sweater boxes that stack with lids on both. To get both to fit you have pull the bottom one out a bit and then slide the top one on, and push both in. I think Ds was 4 or 5 when I got them and he got the hang of it quickly. The stacking sweater boxes have matchbox cars (2 bins full !), remote controlled cars, spy gear, and I have one bin for junk - things DS wants to keep but don't have a home. Multipurpose boxes have held books, folders, homework papers. We've never needed to replace a lid for the sweater boxes.

WatchingThemGrow
02-18-2014, 10:26 PM
I got sweater bins and multipurpose boxes a few years ago and it changed the toy storage in the expedit. In some shelves, I have one big sweater bin without a lid, as it won't fit with lid on it - this holds big cars and trucks. In others I have 2 sweater boxes that stack with lids on both. To get both to fit you have pull the bottom one out a bit and then slide the top one on, and push both in. I think Ds was 4 or 5 when I got them and he got the hang of it quickly. The stacking sweater boxes have matchbox cars (2 bins full !), remote controlled cars, spy gear, and I have one bin for junk - things DS wants to keep but don't have a home. Multipurpose boxes have held books, folders, homework papers. We've never needed to replace a lid for the sweater boxes.
funny you have matchbox cars in sweater boxes - as we have two "small vehicles" multipurpose bins side by side in our expedit.Maybe they don't dump them out when they are in boxes???