PDA

View Full Version : Picture of converted full size bed ?

PMJ
12-07-2013, 07:54 AM
We are looking to convert our toddler bed to a full size for DD. i have no idea what this will look like and can't visualize it. Any people out there with pictures of this? I think we bought the rails already, but no clue if there is a box spring.

thanks in advance.

TwoBees
12-10-2013, 09:03 AM
I'm not sure what you mean. Some bed conversions have platforms and some have box springs. When you said you bought the rails, do you mean the wood planks that form the platform?

truly scrumptious
12-10-2013, 10:19 AM
We converted DD's crib into a full size bed. With the rails, you have the option of buying slats and putting the mattress directly on there (this is what we did), or of buying both box spring and mattress. With just the slats and mattress, I like that the bed is low enough for her to climb in and out of, and if she rolls out at night it's a short drop.
I don't have pictures on my phone right now, but I'll upload when I get home.
Also, the full size bed turned out to look MUCH larger than I expected - we can comfortably fit an adult in the bed with her, and it takes up most of her room.

ETA - we bought the slats from Ikea

kaharris83
12-10-2013, 12:40 PM
http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu271/kaharris83/CAM00773_zps47036fdf.jpg

For ours the conversion kit included the side rails to attach the headboard and footboard together and the slats for the mattress to sit on.

Dream
12-10-2013, 05:07 PM
So you also need to get a new mattress right?

mom2binsd
12-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Yes you need to buy a full size mattress, we bought a full mattress and box spring and the metal frame for it which attached to the headboard which was the back side of the crib.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

PMJ
12-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the picture! Wow, the bed is really big!!

gymnbomb
12-10-2013, 06:04 PM
Yes you need to buy a full size mattress, we bought a full mattress and box spring and the metal frame for it which attached to the headboard which was the back side of the crib.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

This is what I had hoped to do -- no problems attaching the standard metal bed frame to the headboard? I don't think I'm going to use the footboard.

Dream
12-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Does the additional parts you buy to extend the bed have to be the same brand/model or is there a universal kit that'll work with any crib? We're thinking of a converting our crib but didn't buy the extension parts when we bought the crib and now I don't know where to get extension parts from or whether it'll fit the crib we have, its a 5 year old crib that I bought from BRU.

Also can we convert to a twin bed or only full size?

TwoBees
12-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Does the additional parts you buy to extend the bed have to be the same brand/model or is there a universal kit that'll work with any crib? We're thinking of a converting our crib but didn't buy the extension parts when we bought the crib and now I don't know where to get extension parts from or whether it'll fit the crib we have, its a 5 year old crib that I bought from BRU.

Also can we convert to a twin bed or only full size?

We have only purchased conversion kits along with the cribs, so I do not know if there is a universal conversion kit. You might try calling some bed stores to ask. Also, BRU sells conversion kits for its cribs, so you might check there.

Most cribs convert to full size beds because they use the front and back sides of the crib, which are the width of a full bed. The only crib I saw that converted to a twin used the sides if the crib, IIRC.

Dream
12-17-2013, 10:55 AM
We have only purchased conversion kits along with the cribs, so I do not know if there is a universal conversion kit. You might try calling some bed stores to ask. Also, BRU sells conversion kits for its cribs, so you might check there.

Most cribs convert to full size beds because they use the front and back sides of the crib, which are the width of a full bed. The only crib I saw that converted to a twin used the sides if the crib, IIRC.

Thank you. I think we'll just buy a toddler bed and see how it goes.

TwoBees
12-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Thank you. I think we'll just buy a toddler bed and see how it goes.

It's farily easy to convert most cribs to a toddler bed...you just place the mattress at the lowest level and take off the front rail (as long as everything is sturdy enough). You can buy a bed rail for the front pretty easily, those are universal.

http://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/Dex-Baby-Convertible-Crib-Safety-Rail/1017799576?categoryId=32084

Dream
12-17-2013, 11:41 AM
It's farily easy to convert most cribs to a toddler bed...you just place the mattress at the lowest level and take off the front rail (as long as everything is sturdy enough). You can buy a bed rail for the front pretty easily, those are universal.

http://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/Dex-Baby-Convertible-Crib-Safety-Rail/1017799576?categoryId=32084

I offered this to DD but she's refusing since it'll still look like a crib. If there was a way to take off both sides then that would work as it'll look like a bed.