PDA

View Full Version : Tired of being iced in

kristenk
12-07-2013, 02:57 PM
I am very thankful that DH, DD and I are warm and safe. And that DD is welcome at our neighbors' house to play with their younger kids. And that DH was able to take a vacation day yesterday so we could have some family time instead of him having to try to get into the office or work from home while we're here. And, especially, that I went to the store a second time on the day that the ice started coming so we have food.

BUT I'm tired of being iced in and unable to leave the house. And it's only been a couple of days. I was hoping that DH, DD and I could get to Target today so I could use my 20% coupon. Next weekend is our family Christmas before SIL/BIL/DN leave for SIL's hometown for the holidays. Also next weekend is the holiday breakfast at DD's school that I'm coordinating. I was planning on using yesterday while DD was in school to go over the supplies at school to figure out exactly what supplies I need to buy for the breakfast. School was canceled yesterday, though, so that didn't happen.

I know everything will get done and it will all be fine, but I just don't want to run around crazy next week. And then forget something that I meant to do.

With all of that complaining, I'm sitting here typing this post while watching DVR'd Project Runway All-Stars episodes instead of coming up with a master list of everything that needs to get done between now and next Sunday. Ugh.

WatchingThemGrow
12-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Oh, so sorry! That's a bummer~
And I'm just sitting here thinking how nice it would be to get iced in tomorrow, IF ONLY I could get all 200 items on my list done today!

DietCokeLover
12-07-2013, 04:00 PM
I am iced and snowed in too! My dc are going stir crazy! Unfortunately for my weight, when I get trapped inside, I bake! So far, cinnamon rolls from scratch, two batches of scratch biscuits and banana bread. I may not fit out the door when we do get to leave.

kristenk
12-07-2013, 04:28 PM
I am iced and snowed in too! My dc are going stir crazy! Unfortunately for my weight, when I get trapped inside, I bake! So far, cinnamon rolls from scratch, two batches of scratch biscuits and banana bread. I may not fit out the door when we do get to leave.

LOL! We ran out of chocolate chips yesterday after making brownies and trying out slow cooker fudge! Now the cinnamon rolls sounds interesting….care to share your recipe? One of the reasons I never try cinnamon rolls is b/c I don't want to be stuck at home with rising time, etc. Doesn't seem to be too much of an issue right now, though!

Oh, and I'm starting to see people on Facebook talk about going places, buying Christmas trees, etc., but our neighborhood still seems so icy! And our driveway is horrible. I fell on the driveway earlier today and I know I'm going to be sore tomorrow.

WatchingThemGrow - I was really excited on Thursday when it was announced that the schools would be closed on Friday. Now that our temps are still hanging out in the 20s and the ice is just hanging around, I'm not as thrilled!

Wait! It looks like tomorrow's high is going to be 39 not 33! Fingers crossed that's true!

jam224
12-07-2013, 04:31 PM

Care to share your banana bread recipe? ;)

♥ms.pacman♥
12-07-2013, 04:35 PM
Sing it. it was nice yesterday bc my boss told everyone to stay home from work (he is awesome) and it was nice to have a family day together, playing in the ice and snow and just vegging. and i actually did make it out yesterday to go to yoga class. but then today, we wanted to be able to go visit Santa and such but the roads were just soo soo bad. the roads here are way worse today than yesterday. we ended up just driving to a nearby supermarket, and even that was so scary. after getting home DH spent over an hour trying to break up the ice on our driveway so we could drive our van back into the garage. i don't see it getting better unless the temps get to above freezing. :( i guess i should be thankful we have power.

DietCokeLover
12-07-2013, 04:38 PM
I used the Clone of a Cinnabon recipe from allrecipes.com http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Clone-of-a-Cinnabon/. Thankfully, my bread machine did not sell in a yard sale a few months ago, so I was able to use it to knead the dough.

DH was outside shoveling the driveway when he heard the elderly man across the street yell out. He looked over there and realized he had fallen. So, ran over there. About that time I looked out the window to see DH go down over there too. So, I run outside in my PJ's to go help, only to see DH go down one more time trying to help the old man up. Thankfully, DH was extremely "padded" with his ski coat and pants on and our neighbor wasn't hurt either.

It's only 21 degrees here now, with not any hopes of being above freezing any time soon. I guess I'll keep baking til I run out of sugar and flour.

DietCokeLover
12-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Care to share your banana bread recipe? ;)

I used the one that came with my bread machine. I've never made that one before, and haven't tasted it yet, so can't comment on it. However, normally, I would make these: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Banana-Crumb-Muffins/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=banana%20muffins&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe, but I used all my brown sugar when I made the cinnamon rolls the day before!

Gracemom
12-08-2013, 12:57 PM
I baked all day yesterday: pigs in a blanket, banana bread, homemade tortillas, pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. I would have made cheese straws too but I ran out of flour. I am on a carb overload! We went on an icy hike this morning so I am at least exercising!

kristenk
12-09-2013, 11:57 PM
Tomorrow is DD's 3rd school day canceled b/c of ice. The roads don't actually seem too bad, so we're going to get out, run some errands and go see a movie. Should be a fun day, but I really wish our "fun day" were happening after Christmas!