PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning from balance bike to pedal bike

joules
12-09-2013, 12:34 AM
We just got DS2 (3.75 years old) a 14" bike. He's been riding a Strider/Kazaam balance bike since he was almost 2. He's gotten really good at it and can coast really long distances. Should I put the training wheels on the 14" bike? He's NEVER ridden anything with pedals before. Would it be overwhelming for him to deal with the pedals and brakes and balancing all at once? If I put on the training wheels will it cause him to regress in his balancing abilities?

brittone2
12-09-2013, 08:36 AM
We just got DS2 (3.75 years old) a 14" bike. He's been riding a Strider/Kazaam balance bike since he was almost 2. He's gotten really good at it and can coast really long distances. Should I put the training wheels on the 14" bike? He's NEVER ridden anything with pedals before. Would it be overwhelming for him to deal with the pedals and brakes and balancing all at once? If I put on the training wheels will it cause him to regress in his balancing abilities?

My DS1 went from BB directly to a pedal bike, but he was about 5. I am absolutely certain he could have done it much earlier, but we didn't have a 14 in bike and he wasn't complaining, so we just rolled with it. He also didn't get a BB until his third bday. (eta: it took minutes, like HA said below)

DD went from BB to a pedal bike at exactly 3.5. It took her a few tries and less than an hour. We never used training wheels. Getting started was the toughest part; once she could do that, the pedaling was a non issue.

DS2 was 3y3m or so, and same thing. It took him a few days to work it out but then he had it. Again, getting started was the challenge vs. actually pedaling.

I would probably let DC try a few days without training wheels. You may be surprised!

eta: All 3 of my kids knew how to pedal a trike, which probably helped a little bit.

okinawama
12-09-2013, 09:53 AM
I would not put him on a bike with training wheels, it kind of defeats the purpose of the balance bike. I'd work with helping him learn to pedal or just wait until he picks it up a little more naturally. No harm in sticking with the balance bike.

DS learned to ride his two wheeler at 2yrs 8 months and initially struggled with pedaling. We bought the pedal bike used, and it came with training wheels, so DH used the training wheels to somehow rig the bike to have its back wheel raised off the ground. Doing that turned it into a stationary bike of sorts and DS play on that and learned to pedal that way. After he had the pedaling down DH took him to a spot with a slight decline and it seemed to make the independent pedaling easier.

georgiegirl
12-09-2013, 11:35 AM
I'd put the training wheels on so he can learn how yo pedal. But make sure he continues with the balance bike. Once he masters pedaling, then take the training wheels off. DS transitioned easily a month before he turned 4. It took him just a few minutes. We did have a 10" bike with training wheels and it didn't impact his ability to ride his balance bike.

cagey
12-09-2013, 12:18 PM
..and a vote to NOT do training wheels....sit him on a bike his size, help him get started and he'll be off. Mynewly 4 yr old DD never did petals before, and hopped on a 12" bike after a year of Skuut-ing and took off. She figured out how to 'skuut' along on the pedal bike to get enough speed, then just put her feet up and went

HannaAddict
12-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Another vote for no training wheels, that is why your guy mastered tech balance bike. Ours went from a glider at 3.5 to a pedal bike at about 5 and it was literally instant or within 5 minutes! Crazy. He got on, we steadied it, he found the pedals and away he went with no issues on balance at all. We were at a level playground and he rode and rode and was able to get himself going within 5-10 minutes with no help. He's not an uber athlete either and my husband was pretty surprised. Our daughter didn't do training wheels at all either and was able to take off and pedal way within a few minutes too at about five as well. I really think training wheels slow down the ability to ride a real bike and if the child is old enough, in most cases it won't take long at all. My daughter never loved the balance bike (son did) but used a scooter tons from 3-5.

Kira's Mommy
12-13-2013, 01:20 AM
My vote is no training wheels. It won't hurt to try. I think at that age it won't take him long to figure out how pedals work.

My DD rode both her balance bike from 2.5 and 3.5 (she did ride a trike before that though). When she got really good at riding her balance bike, DH took the training wheels off. I thought he was crazy. DD was riding the pedal bike within 5 minutes. She was 3.5.

joules
12-13-2013, 04:02 AM
Thanks! We won't use the training wheels then. Although depending on how he does, might do the stationary bike trick if needed.

He still seems like my "baby" so I just can't imagine him riding a normal bike like he's a big kid or something.

abh5e8
12-13-2013, 03:46 PM
i agree with no training wheels. put the seat all the way down, so he can start by "walking" around with the bike, then gliding like on his strider and balanceing, then can easily start to pedal. this also helps as he learns to break. when he is still learning, he can easily put feet down to the ground like with strider.

wendibird22
12-13-2013, 03:57 PM
I would try with no training wheels first. That said, DD1 is my very timid child and though she was a master at the balance bike when we bought her a pedal bike she refused to get on it w/out training wheels. REFUSED. We went a whole summer with the training wheels on. The following summer we took them off and didn't give her the option. She rode perfectly fine all on her own the very first time. But on video you she and hear that she's crying hysterically the entire time out of fear. DH and I were laughing as she rode down the driveway on her own sobbing. She also refused to ride the balance bike the first summer she had it so she's always just been fearful to try new things.

Momit
12-13-2013, 10:32 PM
The no training wheels should be fine. We waited until 4.5, mostly because I was hunting for a 14" bike on Craigslist and we weren't in a rush (most of his friends were on tricycles and he was already way faster than they were).

It took him about 5 seconds. The only tricky thing was starting by himself. It took him a day or two to get the hang of that - he could pedal effortlessly but if he had to stop and get started again he needed help. Now he loves to tell people "It only took me 3 SECONDS to learn to ride a two-wheeler!"

♥ms.pacman♥
12-30-2013, 04:07 PM
bumping this as i'm curious on this same topic for my DS (same age) . I got him a 12" Thomas pedal bike secondhand months ago, and was planning to give it to him for his birthday next week. It does come with training wheels..but it sounds like the consensus is to not put them on..will try that. DS does know how to pedal, but i'm not sure how well. DS never really did the trike at at home, but from the few times i've seen him at a friends' house or somewhere else use a trike, he does know how to pedal. maybe in the next few days i will bring the trike indoors and try to get him to use it more.

also now i'm realizing that 12" might be too small (DS is tall). but his balance bike i think is 10", and he seems fine on that, so hopefully won't be too bad!

twowhat?
12-30-2013, 10:16 PM
I vote no training wheels! My kids are overly cautious (I loaded them up with sugar before going out for a ride with their new pedal bikes because it amps them up), and they did great transitioning to a pedal bike. We didn't bother to put the training wheels on. Seriously, it was so easy... DH and I had to hold their bikes at first for them to gain confidence but it didn't take long before they were screaming at us to LET GO!! Once they know how to balance, then it's just a matter of putting that and pedaling together.

I think the most important thing for the transition is to go to a really flat area to practice. We have to drive to get to a park that is like this but smooth, very flat sidewalks are easiest to learn on. DD2 still doesn't like going down any sort of a hill, no matter how slight.

Ours were really good with pedaling their trikes and could coast and steer with the balance bikes, but they NEVER went fast on their balance bikes. It didn't matter, because they prefer to ride slowly on their pedal bikes, LOL. And the slower you go, the better you have to be with balance so that was the great thing about the balance bikes - they let the kid go at a speed they are comfortable with. Once on a real bike you just pedal at the speed you are comfortable with, assuming a flat riding surface.

I think a 3-4yo could totally do it if they are proficient both on the balance bike and on a tricycle...so my one suggestion is to get a cheap trike and get him pedaling first.

eta: I see a PP suggested putting the training wheels on first so he can master the pedaling while still encouraging use of the balance bike. That's a good idea too.

vonfirmath
12-30-2013, 11:03 PM

We tried transitioning DS from his balance bike to a pedal bike at age 5 but he needed training wheels (still has them on even.) Somehow, the "magic" ease has not paid off. He LOVES the scooter he got for Christmas though...

joules
12-31-2013, 03:19 AM
The 14" bike turned out to be a bit too big for DS1 (he's about 50%). So for now, he uses his 12" balance bike. Occasionally he'll get on the 14" and DH will have to hold on while he tries the pedals. His legs are a tad too short so it's sort of difficult for him. I think a 12" pedal bike would be perfect. However the 14" would probably last us longer in the long run.

lchang25000
12-31-2013, 08:57 AM
..and a vote to NOT do training wheels....sit him on a bike his size, help him get started and he'll be off.

Ditto this! DS rode his balance bike for about 1.5 years on/off, and this past summer and 4.5 years old we got him a pedal bike. He took off pedaling and riding immediately after DH gave him a little push. we prob should've started him on it even sooner.