PDA

View Full Version : Stocking for toddler

mackmama
12-09-2013, 05:50 PM
In terms of not overwhelming DC, how do you all handle stockings and gifts for a toddler about to turn 3yo? DC loses interest if there are too many gifts- but we want to do stockings and a couple of gifts too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

BabyBearsMom
12-09-2013, 05:53 PM
In our family, we do stockings and presents on Christmas day. As soon as we get up, we go downstairs and open stockings. Then everyone takes a break, has breakfast, some people shower and get dressed. Then we do presents. Having the break in between stockings and the main presents seems to keep her engaged in the present process although by the end of Christmas morning DD1 has been D.O.N.E. in prior years.

carolinacool
12-09-2013, 06:07 PM
DS just turned 4. Honestly, we don't put a lot in stockings. Right now, I have a tiny Hot Wheels firetruck and a Dora game for his Leap Pad. And that's probably going to be it. He won't be too overwhelmed. LOL

Momit
12-09-2013, 07:19 PM
We do stockings first thing in the morning, kind of space out presents throughout the day between breakfast, getting dressed, making dinner. I like to do one gift Christmas Eve night as well.

TwinFoxes
12-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Much like babybearsmom, we have a break between stockings and presents. We do presents first, and then do stockings. We don't put too much in the kids' stockings. Like so far they have a jump rope and some wooden car thing. I usually go for big (as in take a lot of room) presents in there, and also things like stocking caps.

marymoo86
12-09-2013, 07:29 PM
we do family presents on Christmas Eve and stockings/Santa Christmas day

For DD1 stocking we have a set of four small Dr. Seuss board books, twistable crayons, tape, and a new hooded towel

YouAreTheFocus
12-09-2013, 07:55 PM
We also split up the presents (always have, even pre-kids). We do some Xmas Eve, some Xmas day morning, and some later in the day. We have 6 adults plus ds and we all exchange gifts and all get (big) stockings so it would just be way too much to do it all at once.

Simon
12-09-2013, 08:33 PM
We let the kids space the gift opening. If something catches their attention and they want to jump into playing, we let them and don't push to keep opening gifts. Sometimes we have items left over a day or two after Christmas waiting to be opened but that's partly because some years relatives go a little overboard.

In toddler stockings we might put a fun toothbrush, socks, glow sticks, a candy cane or other consumable, cans of playdough, stickers, tattoos, a comb, bracelets, matchbox cars, Schleigh animals.

TxCat
12-09-2013, 10:03 PM
We do stockings first thing in the morning, kind of space out presents throughout the day between breakfast, getting dressed, making dinner. I like to do one gift Christmas Eve night as well.

This is basically us as well.

PZMommy
12-09-2013, 10:04 PM
I just put one small item in the stocking. This year they are each getting a Cd to listen to in the car. So they get over their stocking pretty fast and are ready for presents. As a kid we always got our stocking and then opened up all of our gifts. We never got tired! We do the same with our kids. They get their stocking and all of their presents at once. They have never complained or appeared to be overwhelmed.

vonfirmath
12-09-2013, 10:07 PM

This is pretty much what we do. And when DS was 2, mom and dad ended up finishing opening his gifts because there were SO many.

For her 2nd birthday, I didn't wrap all of DD's gifts. She could just pull sheets off. She seemed to like that.

Jen841
12-09-2013, 10:14 PM
We do Santa gifts and stockings, then breakfast then Mom and Dad gifts.

Stockings are little things but always underwear, new toothbrush, chap stick and some snacks (honestly I raid the pantry for filler.)