PDA

View Full Version : How do you spend Dec. 31 (day time) & Jan. 1st (with your kids)

ourbabygirl
12-09-2013, 06:25 PM
I'd like to start some new family traditions, and possibly include the neighbors, as well. It'll be nice having DH off of work, but I'm kind of not sure what to do with ourselves. :)
Care to share how you spend NYE and NY? Any special outings (to places that are open), foods, activities?

Momit
12-09-2013, 06:43 PM
In the last 2 places we've lived, the children's museums have done "New Year's Eve" celebrations at noon on the 31st. They make noisemakers, sample holiday foods from different countries, etc. then do a ball drop at 12 noon. We did it last year and probably will again this year.

I think DH's family did a game day on New Year's.

Of course, my favorite is to lie on the sofa and watch football but that really isn't an option with DS. :)

BunnyBee
12-09-2013, 06:44 PM
We have a NYE "party" with appetizers, sparkling grape juice, hats, etc. Sometimes we'll invite another family over and toast at about 8-9pm. If it's just is, we usually watch a movie on NYE while we put away all the Christmas decor. New Year's Day is pork, greens, and black eyed peas. We usually watch football, play games, just hang out around the house. I'm a big homebody though! :)

Simon
12-09-2013, 08:15 PM
Some years we go to friends and spend the night. The kids play together, we eat a dinner together, watch some football, dance around a bit, and then play games after the kids go to bed. In the AM, we eat breakfast together then we go home or else out together (ice skating, sledding, etc).

There is a big family NYE celebration downtown here with sleigh rides, music, a ball drop, etc. but its been too cold since Ds2 was born for us to go out. Usually temps are single digit and heading lower.

Years that we stay home, we watch a family movie, eat popcorn, have a little dance party, and then after the kids go to sleep we read or talk and I fall asleep. I'm not a night person, no matter what day of the year it is! I also don't enjoy watching all the NYC events on tv. We've btdt in person and watching it just isn't my thing.

YouAreTheFocus
12-09-2013, 08:24 PM
We are with DH's family (out of town) for NY's. We go to a big family party and adults and kids alike are up until 1 or 2 am. I was able to put DS to bed in a pnp when he was 3 mos & 1 & 2 but last year at 3 he was just up and in the mix the whole night. The next morning we all sleep in and have a late brunch. Then we go to BIL/SIL where everybody (but me) watches football and DS can play w/ his cousins.