PDA

View Full Version : Family quilt for dd, age four

crl
12-09-2013, 07:25 PM
I have a pretty, fun, mostly pink quilt my grandmother made. It is currently stored in a linen closet. When we re-do dd's room for her fourth birthday this spring ("new" furniture given to us by a neighbor that I will paint or have painted white, new paint on walls with some input from dd, likely a new lamp and maybe a new piece or art or two), I plan to use this quilt. The quilt is fairly old and is sized slightly small for a double bed. Dd will have a twin.

Would you use the quilt on her bed? If so how?

Or would you hang it behind her headboard?

Or something else I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!
Catherine

gymnbomb
12-09-2013, 07:35 PM
If it's a sentimental, family heirloom type of quilt (i.e. you would be upset if it got dirty/torn/etc.) I would not put it on the bed. It is much more likely to stay in decent condition if you hang it on the wall. If you don't feel that way about it, then disregard :)

AnnieW625
12-09-2013, 07:40 PM
I would use it if it is in good condition. If it is not in good condition I might think twice about it, but honestly a well made quilt in the first place will last a long time and you can always have it re quilted and rebatted as well (my mom has done this for friends with quilt tops that are over 50 yrs. old) and I wouldn't have a problem with it being used. I am the daughter of a quilter and my mom made a lot of my clothes (as did my grandma pre age 10 or so; she was about 70 when she stopped) and my girls have worn to church some of those hand made clothes as well, and we use my 16th birthday quilt as an extra blanket around the house and I don't sweat it that they are being worn and loved by another generation. My DD1 could potentially wear the 55+ yr. old first communion dress that my grandma made if she wanted to (but I don't think she will, plus I think it will be too big).

crl
12-09-2013, 07:44 PM
It is in good condition overall, though I think there may be a place or two that could use some new stitching. I want it to be used in some way. It's not a museum piece at all and has been used in the past (though not since I have owned it).

Catherine

AnnieW625
12-09-2013, 07:47 PM
It is in good condition overall, though I think there may be a place or two that could use some new stitching. I want it to be used in some way. It's not a museum piece at all and has been used in the past (though not since I have owned it).

Catherine

I would definitely use it then and I am sure your grandma would want that.

ahisma
12-09-2013, 07:52 PM
I'm of a belief that quilts should be used.

crl
12-09-2013, 07:58 PM
If you would use it on the bed, do you think it will be okay on a twin bed? Or will it look too big? (Headboard is stored in the garage and we will need to buy a mattress so I don't have any good way to test it out ahead of time.) Would you use it as the main cover (with sheets and a blanket underneath) or would you fold it at the bottom? I like the folded at the bottom look, but we aren't great at making beds to begin with so I don't think we would regularly get it refolded all pretty. . .

Thanks!
Catherine

egoldber
12-09-2013, 08:25 PM
I would use it as her main bedspread. I think it's a wonderful idea. :)

zukeypur
12-09-2013, 09:28 PM
My great grandmothers quilt is on my 3 year old's bed right now. :). I say use it.