PDA

View Full Version : 4 yo making popcorn garland crazy? or could your kid do it?

eagle
12-10-2013, 02:23 AM
i was thinking of having my 4 yo help me with making a popcorn garland. but i dont know if its crazy or not to do this. sharp needles? hes typical, whatever that means. he can scrawl out his name on paper, holds a paint brush alright.. i dont know if this would require more dexterity than he has...

should i just do this alone at night while watching a dvd?

shweethart
12-10-2013, 02:30 AM
My sons preschool (3&4 y.o) strung peanuts (packing kind) using plastic needles. With supervision. Most of them put the peanut on table then stabbed the peanut with needle face Down to hit the table... Hard to explain

crl
12-10-2013, 02:33 AM
Ds "helped" at that age. He ate popcorn. Handed us popcorn. Strung a few pieces on. As I recall, we used a dull metal needle of some kind. And did most of the actual stringing after he went to bed. Paper chain was easier to have him participate. I cut the strips ahead of time and he helped make the chain.

Catherine

eagle
12-10-2013, 02:38 AM
ah! paper chain garland! god, its probably been 30 years since ive thought of those! somehow our preschool hasnt/doesnt do that.

i dont have a dull needle. perhaps ill just convince him to help me while i actually string popcorn.

very nice. thank you! im always so glad to post here asking questions.

ill have him help me, and right when i get tired, we can make paper chains, and ill have strips all ready to go. :D

eagle
12-10-2013, 02:40 AM
also the styrofoam peanut idea is brilliant. though i just throw those away when i get them. ill save a bunch this year and we can do it with him and his sister! thanks for that idea too!

BabyBearsMom
12-10-2013, 08:35 AM
I think my 3.5 year old Dd could do it but I think she has unusual patience and loves detail oriented careful work.

maestramommy
12-10-2013, 10:06 AM
agree with pp about paper chains. They were a huge hit with DD2 when she was 4 and 5. In fact I think she made all the paper chains on our tree.

hellokitty
12-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Another idea, that I thought was really cute, is a straw/bead garland. I just saw it in a magazine yesterday and I think we will do it next yr. Just cut up regular disposable straws in your color of choice into thirds and get wooden beads, and alternate. It looks really cute and seems easy enough, while still being manageable for a 4 yr old.

mikala
12-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Ds1 helped me string popcorn and cranberries last year at 3 yo. I taped the far end of the string to the counter and he used a dull needle. I'd definitely consider adding some straw pieces or big beads because it takes forever to make a long strand.