PDA

View Full Version : Tipping at an All-Inclusive Resort: What do you do?

justlearning
12-10-2013, 03:05 AM
We're going to an all-inclusive resort in Los Cabos (Sandos Finisterra), and I'm wondering how/if we're supposed to tip. The package that we purchased said that all meals, drinks, entertainment, and gratituities are included. Should we still tip? If so, how much for dinner at a restaurant where you're waited on (as opposed to a buffet)? How much for drinks at the pool? How much for help with luggage, etc.? Would you only tip if the service were truly excellent, or would you tip for everything even if the service was mediocre? The only other all-inclusive resort we've stayed at was Sandals, which prohibited tipping. In reading reviews of Sandos Finisterra, I see many references to tipping so now I'm wondering if we're expected to tip even though it says that the gratituities are included.

khalloc
12-10-2013, 09:02 AM
I've been to AI resorts in the past. Both in Aruba and Barbados. But they've never been 5 star resorts. They've been much more laid back. So we dont normally get help with our luggage, and some of the more over the top stuff like that. But we usually tip at dinner (but not 20% of what the dinner would cost). We'd leave like $8-$10 for the waiter/waitress. DH will tip around $1/drink at the bar. Alot of times he'll give more up front and then not tip some drinks, or just tip less. If its a buffet, we might tip the person clearing the tables a few bucks. I tip most of the time, but not 100% of the time. If I left my $$ back in the hotel room, I would have no problem going to get a drink and not tipping that time.