PDA

View Full Version : Whose kids have a snow day? And how much snow?

TwinFoxes
12-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Our second day off from school here. Yesterday it was freezing rain. Today it's real honest to goodness snow. I don't think we will get that much, but it's all hitting during the morning rush + there's fog. Some people are complaining on our school system's FB page. The thing is, I'm sure kids in our neighborhood could get to school, but our county is huge. Folks in the more rural parts would be in bad shape going on unplowed country-ish roads.

So how much snow does it take to close your schools. What type of district/road situations do you have?

DietCokeLover
12-10-2013, 09:02 AM
We homeschool now, but kids have been out since Thursday here, with reportedly no hope of going back til this Friday at the earliest. We are in a more southern state, so lacking in necessary equipment to get roads cleared appropriately. We had 8 - 9 inches of snow and it has not gone above freezing since Thursday.

candaceb
12-10-2013, 09:03 AM
We have no snow and a snow day. We are supposed to get 2-4 inches. It doesn't take much for them to close around here.

westwoodmom04
12-10-2013, 09:04 AM
snowing lightly here and no school. We've had school closed for a snow forecast in the past. No school yesterday because of ice (wasn't warranted, the delayed opening they originally called would have worked). Can you tell I'm bitter?

chlobo
12-10-2013, 09:14 AM
We had snow and freezing rain yesterday and still had school. Today its supposed to snow more and we have school but early release at 12:30.

brittone2
12-10-2013, 09:17 AM
We HS, and school year-round, but usually take things light in Dec. since we also school through the summer. THe public school in my area was delayed yesterday and they are closed today. DH took the day off prior to knowing it was going to snow, so we'll have a nice family day at home.

I have some errands I need to run, but it isn't happening today. On the bright side, I think both kids' extracurricular activities are closed today, which makes me kind of happy.

eta: coating to an inch so far, but we are supposed to get 4+ hrs of snow and it is coming down pretty strongly. We are on the border of 2-4 or 4-6 inches, so we'll see!

Mikey0709
12-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Philly suburbs here.... 2 hour delay yesterday and closed today. 3-6 inches expected.

Do you think they do the automated phone call at 5:30am to wake kids and torture parents by making us keep our our kids today? Blah! Next time I expect it I'm shutting off the ringer and maybe we can sleep in!

georgiegirl
12-10-2013, 09:31 AM
No, it has to be pretty bad here to have a snow day. We got about 4" on Sunday and the kids had school on Monday. No outside recess though since the windchill was between -10 and -20.

georgiegirl
12-10-2013, 09:32 AM
Do you think they do the automated phone call at 5:30am to wake kids and torture parents by making us keep our our kids today? Blah! Next time I expect it I'm shutting off the ringer and maybe we can sleep in!

DH has been woken up that way before. I keep my ringer off.

minnie-zb
12-10-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm in the western part of Fairfax county and we are getting a lot of snow! Second day of no school.

dogmom
12-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Outside of Boston, no snow days yet. Thus might. be the first time in years we make it to winter break with no snow/storm days. Previous years we had storms that brought down trees/power in the fall. We may not got to the last week of June this year. Yeah!

egoldber
12-10-2013, 10:21 AM
We've had school closed for a snow forecast in the past. No school yesterday because of ice (wasn't warranted, the delayed opening they originally called would have worked). Can you tell I'm bitter?

I am much more sympathetic to the delay/cancellation based on forecast now that I have a middle schooler. Kids at her school may have to be at the bus stop as early as 6:15 and the MS/HS bus stops can be several blocks away from your house. She has a 10 minute walk to her stop in the dark on a good day. Add in snow and/or ice + insane drivers here who can't drive in snow and it isn't a pretty sight!

We had a 1/4 inch of ice on our street until 10 am yesterday. But I think those of us further south got hit much harder than MoCo.

Philly Mom
12-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Philly area and roads are awful. They deteriorated quickly this morning. Good thing most schools made the call to close. I was out after it had only been snowing an hour and it was scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

lizzywednesday
12-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Philly area and roads are awful. They deteriorated quickly this morning. Good thing most schools made the call to close. I was out after it had only been snowing an hour and it was scary.

I opted to telecommute rather than drive today. I'm very glad I did.

DD's daycare is still open, but she's outside happily playing in our yard right now.

TwinFoxes
12-10-2013, 10:49 AM

I don't think our district does robo calls for cancellations anymore. I get emails, they post on FB, their webpage and their app. That would just suck to get a 5:30 wake up call.

kristenk
12-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Today is the 3rd day school has been canceled due to hazardous driving conditions. Most of the roads are fine, but I guess that they're bad enough still in some areas of the school district that they didn't want to risk the possibility of accidents, etc. In my area, it's a mix of school districts today that are open as usual, delayed 2 hours, or closed.

maydaymommy
12-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Philly 'burbs here, too. Sunday afternoon brought some of the worst driving conditions I've ever experienced! Even major roads were awful. It was a very "under-forecasted" weather event!

Yesterday's delayed opening was the right call and I think it's a lot better to have closed today than to have had to announce an early dismissal. Those things are a mess!

Dream
12-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Started snowing just when I came out of the house, we're supposed to get about 5-6" I think but no talk of NYC public school closings. My YDD in Montessori and they follow the Great Neck school district, there's talk of early dismissal.

mommylamb
12-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Our second day off from school here. Yesterday it was freezing rain. Today it's real honest to goodness snow. I don't think we will get that much, but it's all hitting during the morning rush + there's fog. Some people are complaining on our school system's FB page. The thing is, I'm sure kids in our neighborhood could get to school, but our county is huge. Folks in the more rural parts would be in bad shape going on unplowed country-ish roads.

So how much snow does it take to close your schools. What type of district/road situations do you have?

As someone in your county, I really wish they would make the decisions for when school is out for weather based on school pyramid. It seems bizarre that we miss school because of snow in Great Falls. I grew up in CT, and decisions were made by town rather than county. Of course, the towns all had their own municipal government up there and counties were weak. But it worked better for us.

That said, considering the timing of today's storm, I think it was the right call today. Yesterday was a joke though, at least in our area of the county. Today, I'm home too (my office follows the federal govt.) so it's nice that we can all have a day together. Sadly, I still have to do a conference call this afternoon, but that's ok.

candaceb
12-10-2013, 11:28 AM
Our snow has started. I took DS out for a walk with me.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/10/6u9e7e8e.jpg

TwinFoxes
12-10-2013, 11:32 AM
As someone in your county, I really wish they would make the decisions for when school is out for weather based on school pyramid. It seems bizarre that we miss school because of snow in Great Falls.

I wonder if this has ever been looked into, or if it's just one of those things dismissed out of hand as impractical? I just think of schools like Woodson, which is basically in downtown, their pyramid would rarely close. But then schools further west would probably close much more often.

hillview
12-10-2013, 11:41 AM
outside boston. it takes a lot to close schools (like a foot of snow or HORRIBLE conditions). we have a ton of equiptment and are well prepared for snow/bad weather.

bcafe
12-10-2013, 11:44 AM
It takes a lot of snow to close here in WI. We only have about 5" but the temps are frigid! It was 4F when I drove the kids to school this am.

arivecchi
12-10-2013, 12:26 PM
No, it has to be pretty bad here to have a snow day. We got about 4" on Sunday and the kids had school on Monday. No outside recess though.
:yeahthat: We are expecting more snow tonight. Last year, the only snow day we had was because the storm hit during morning rush hour. Otherwise, the buses are out and about since they clean the roads fairly quickly here.

Kindra178
12-10-2013, 01:18 PM
:yeahthat: We are expecting more snow tonight. Last year, the only snow day we had was because the storm hit during morning rush hour. Otherwise, the buses are out and about since they clean the roads fairly quickly here.

Same area. Snow days are hard to come by here. We had a rain day last year due to localized flooding near the school bus depot. There was a snow day in the blizzard of 2011, but almost two feet fell. Ds1 had three recesses yesterday (three inches of snow fell on Sunday), the temp was around 20 during the school day and wind chills were significantly lower. We packed snow pants, hats and mittens. I expect they will go out today again. Wind chills are about 1 degree and the temp is about 15.

lfp2n
12-10-2013, 01:45 PM
In central VA we had a 2 hour delay yesterday and it was icy in the am, but today we've had no snow at all and school is cancelled because they were expecting a few inches. Lamest snow day ever.

elephantmeg
12-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Day 2 here too. Ice/sleet yesterday (but was clear by 10ish) and snow today. A whopping 2 inches. I borrowed a friend's 2 kids for the day-I was going crazy with just mine yesterday! Thankfully I was put on call for work last night so I've been able to hang out here with the kids!