PDA

View Full Version : Organization to donate books?

sarahsthreads
12-10-2013, 12:31 PM
DD1 wrote a letter to Santa asking for a few things, but also asking for "something to give to a family who can't buy toys or even many Books."

My heart about melted.

So, I was thinking Santa could donate to an organization that gets books to kids in need in her name and put a little card about that in her stocking. I see a few options when I search (firstbook.org, wegivebooks.org) and was wondering if anyone had any experience with any in particular? I'm initially leaning towards wegivebooks because - if I'm understanding correctly, the about page of the site isn't all that clear - she could continue to give by reading books online, which is a real way for her to help other kids that she can accomplish without actually having any sort of income. (Yes, actually giving her an allowance rather than just talking about the possibility of doing so would solve that problem, but that's a matter for another thread.)

Thoughts?

Sarah :)

candaceb
12-10-2013, 12:49 PM
I would call the children's desk at your local library and ask if they know of any local organizations that distribute books to kids. Both my local library and the one where I work have drives at this time of year to collect kids' books, and there is also a local group that distributes books in low-income areas throughout the year.

sarahsthreads
12-10-2013, 01:56 PM
I'm not really looking for a place to donate books, though, I'd rather donate money and have them buy the books they need - I'd assume their buying power is better than mine and they can get more books per dollar than I can. Besides, despite having too many kids' books in the house, with the wide range my kids' ages we're actually not really done with any of them...DD1 still frequently re-reads all of her chapter books, DD2 holds reign over the picture books, and DS is inheriting all the board books.

When we are, we'll absolutely donate them locally! :)

twowhat?
12-10-2013, 01:59 PM
We donate to a local orthopedic hildren's hospital. They keep them in the waiting rooms and patients are free to take home as many as they like. Up until recently all services at this hospital was free for all patients so they had plenty who could use good books.

sariana
12-10-2013, 02:44 PM
I'm not really looking for a place to donate books, though, I'd rather donate money and have them buy the books they need - I'd assume their buying power is better than mine and they can get more books per dollar than I can. Besides, despite having too many kids' books in the house, with the wide range my kids' ages we're actually not really done with any of them...DD1 still frequently re-reads all of her chapter books, DD2 holds reign over the picture books, and DS is inheriting all the board books.

When we are, we'll absolutely donate them locally! :)

Still, your local library is a good place to start. They often have access to/knowledge about all sorts of organizations.

hellokitty
12-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Still, your local library is a good place to start. They often have access to/knowledge about all sorts of organizations.

I agree with this. Our moms club had a big garage sale a few months ago and one of the ladies who came to our sale is a member of a local literacy group. She asked if we would be willing to donate the books to her group if we had any left over and and we gladly did. IDK about your library, but our library has a program where ppl are encouraged to call to ask them about local resources, so this is one reason why if I were in your shoes, I'd start there first. A group like big brothers and big sisters might be able to point you in the right direction as well. We have donated toward those groups in the past, they desperately need books.

sariana
12-10-2013, 02:59 PM
I remember one from when I was teaching: Are you familiar with Reading Is FUNdamental? Their web site has a Donate Now button. I taught in some low-income middle schools, and our students got books from this organization (back in the 90s).

hellokitty
12-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Oh and if you have a toys for tots program in your area, they always need books too! However, you may have missed the deadline for donatios for this yr.

KpbS
12-10-2013, 03:11 PM
We've done wegivebooks--it came recommended to me from a friend who is a former teacher and who is very involved with giving back/giving to others so I trust her recommendation. Great idea and great advent or even after Christmas activity. :)

squimp
12-10-2013, 03:48 PM
Could you ask at your school? Our school has a program called the learning center and they are always looking for books and magazines and other materials to give to kids who don't have books at home. We are in a fairly wealthy district so it was surprising for me to know from some moms who work in the school that there are in fact kids who don't have books at home on their bookshelves.

zag95
12-10-2013, 04:27 PM
School library, public library children's section, children's hospital, SMART (Start Making a Reader Today- literacy program targeting lower income schools), maybe HEAD START or similar?? Another idea might be a teen parent program.

boilermakermom
12-10-2013, 05:59 PM
I have sent books to troops overseas via http://www.operationpaperback.org/. I am sure you could make a montary donation instead of books.