PDA

View Full Version : What to do? Holiday express G scale electric train set?

DualvansMommy
12-10-2013, 01:59 PM
My father got my 2.5 year old DS the New Bright holiday express scale G train set, and just got the box today. It said its for 10 years old and above kids?? So I'm thinking it looks pretty advanced with a remote and all.

How should I handle this with my father? Return it, keep it stored until DS is old enough to play with it?? Or exchange it for something else? But I don't know what to replace it with? As he's already getting Thomas train table set from Santa as his big gift, Melissa & Doug art easel from one set of grandparents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hellokitty
12-10-2013, 02:09 PM
I would NOT let him play with it. Guess what, our 4 yr old has busted up our O guage polar express train set. He keeps on messing with the train and they aren't really meant to be handled like toys (just kept on the track), so now it is all screwed up. Let your dad know that most likely your son will break it, and for how much he spent, ask if he'd prefer that you hold on to it, to give it to him when he's older, or your dad exchanges it for something more child appropriate, like a geotrax set.

Mopey
12-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Could you ask your Dad what he'd like to do? I'm sure it's an honest mistake and he'd love his GS to have something he could use and love now....

Maybe?

SnuggleBuggles
12-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Could you ask your Dad what he'd like to do? I'm sure it's an honest mistake and he'd love his GS to have something he could use and love now....

Maybe?

That's good advice. I'd share with him experiences from this board and toddlers with the trains.

AngB
12-10-2013, 03:30 PM
That's good advice. I'd share with him experiences from this board and toddlers with the trains.

Yes, I would ask him if he would prefer for you to set it aside for when he is older if he would prefer you exchange it for something more age appropriate/child-friendly.

FWIW, DH got DS1 a Trackmaster Thomas set that they have rigged up around the tree (it's really more for DH than DS1 so I let him get it out now that the tree is set up.) DS really loves it but he has already taken the tracks apart and is pretty rough on the trains. (Like they'll be on and he'll push it backwards and you can hear the motor grinding when he does that sort of thing.) They are about $30. DH actually bought 2 to be sure he had enough track pieces to go around the tree (insert my eye roll here.)