PDA

View Full Version : What to buy the DH who has everything?

twotimesblue
12-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Sigh. DH is SO hard to buy for. He loves all things tech, but already has every Apple device known to man. He has a fancy camera (that only I use). The Bose headphones. The wine fridge. I seriously have no idea what to get him! I've already done the 'experience' gifts such as driving a race car. Any suggestions welcome!

brittone2
12-10-2013, 03:45 PM
Nice shave stuff?
DH got into nice shave stuff about 2 years ago. He loves using a razor like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Edwin-Jagger-De89lbl-Double-Safety/dp/B002RBF1PO/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1386704621&sr=1-1&keywords=edwin+jagger

and then nice shave soaps like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Old-Bond-Street-Sandalwood/dp/B0007MW2ZW/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1386704661&sr=1-1&keywords=bond+st+shave with a nice brush. There's a learning curve but it is soooo smooth and nice, and he loves that a super sharp blade cuts vs. tugging hair. I read a bit at the Badger and Blade forums before buying. Dh wanted some nicer shave stuff, but wasn't sure what to buy. The forums there were really helpful.

Nice bottle of scotch/bourbon/vice of choice?

eta: this yr I am getting DH a gps for his bike (garmin forerunner 500 I think?), the complete DVD set of The Wire, a basic Kindle for travel (everyone else who can read in our house has one but he doesn't), shave stuff for his stocking, a CD. My parents got him new cycling gloves and a new jersey. I will pick up a mixed 6 pack of fun beer and or a bottle of bourbon. He never buys himself clothes so I usually pick up a few brooks brothers dress shirts and polos for him.

GaPeach_in_Ca
12-10-2013, 03:51 PM
Let's see. I always think the same of my DH. If he really wants something, he will buy it, and he doesn't like "stuff", so that makes it hard.

That said, this is what I have for him this year:
Sphere ice cube molds (tovolo)
Nice old fashioned glasses - set of 12 (will get rid of our old glasses if we like these)
Hydroflask (insulated) stainless steel growler (will be great for taking homebrew to the pool)
Game of Thrones book set

Kids got him a Seahawks jersey.

Stocking -
funny tshirt from woot
undies
card game (something like "this is not playtested at all")

curiousgeorge
12-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Cool walkie talkies to use with your kids?
Personalized pint or pilsner glasses (I ordered some off of etsy for my BIL)
Bose bluetooth speaker to use with iPod, etc.
If he likes clothes, what about a custom made shirt (could get a GC for it) One example would be J Hilburn, they will come to his home/office to measure him and let him pick styles and fabrics. Doesn't have to be your standard button-down, can do a western yoke, pearl buttons, roll up sleeves, etc.

elbenn
12-10-2013, 03:58 PM
How about one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/ION-iCade-Arcade-Cabinet-iPads-Mac/dp/B004YC4NH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386705404&sr=8-1&keywords=icade
http://www.amazon.com/iCade-Arcade-Controller-iPad2-ICG05/dp/B008BGY2I6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386705404&sr=8-2&keywords=icade

BabyBearsMom
12-10-2013, 04:19 PM
My DH is the same way and I'm not getting him anything for Xmas bc he has spent a ridiculous amount on himself recently. But if your DH is more deserving, is he into fitness at all? My DH has gotten really into it and I know he wants the new P90X (P90X3) which is 30 minute workouts instead of the old version which is 75 min to 90 min. He also loves his power block weights and wants the stand for them.

If he isn't into fitness but he is an apple fan check out the home products by the Nest. They have a thermostat and a smoke detector that were designed by one of the old Apple guys and DH is obsessed the design asthetic and wants this Nest Protect Smoke + Carbon Monoxide, White, S1001BW
http://amzn.com/B00FN4EWAM

He also wants this hoodie: http://www.american-giant.com/mens-heavyweight-full-zip-hooded-sweatshirt.html which is supposed to be the "best hoodie ever" not sure why though, lol.

Does he like graphic novels? My DH loves The Walking Dead and Y: The last Man Standing series.

I've also toyed with the idea of getting him a telescope.

Momit
12-10-2013, 04:24 PM
Some fun "guy" things I've gotten for DH are:
-whiskey stones
-home brewing kit (for beer)
-Cranium Brain Breaks and other small games
-beer of the month club for 6 months
-nice noise cancelling headphones

Twoboos
12-10-2013, 04:29 PM
I've gotten some good ideas at www.Thinkgeek.com and www.uncommongoods.com.

DH loved these when I got them for him, recycled windshield drinking glasses.
http://www.uncommongoods.com/product/recycled-wine-glasses

ETA: I am seriously thinking of getting DH an inversion table this year! He's always complaining about his back and trying to hang over the edge of the bed or the couch to stretch it.
http://www.costco.com/Teeter-Hang-UpsĀ®-EP-560%2B-Inversion-Table.product.11760272.html?catalogId=10701&keyword=inversion+table&langId=-1&storeId=10301

georgiegirl
12-10-2013, 04:52 PM
DH is getting the gin making Kit from uncommon goods and a photo mug.

AnnieW625
12-10-2013, 05:00 PM
You guys have seriously way cooler and more sophisticated husbands than I do.

I did get DH a Han Shot First tee shirt from Think Geek a few years ago and he wears it all of the time.

I am thinking about a cargo liner for his car

A bluetooth or Ipod speaker dock (can't decide which one would be better).

BabyBearsMom
12-10-2013, 05:07 PM
You guys have seriously way cooler and more sophisticated husbands than I do.

I did get DH a Han Shot First tee shirt from Think Geek a few years ago and he wears it all of the time.

I am thinking about a cargo liner for his car

A bluetooth or Ipod speaker dock (can't decide which one would be better).

I strongly recommend the Jambox for a Bluetooth speaker. We have it and use it with our iPods and iPhones. It rocks. We have the bigger one.

AnnieW625
12-10-2013, 05:13 PM
I strongly recommend the Jambox for a Bluetooth speaker. We have it and use it with our iPods and iPhones. It rocks. We have the bigger one.

Which one is that? It looks like there are a few different models. I did see one at one of the local Costcos and I think the price was $259 (and we still have our executive member rebate to use as well), does that seem about right price wise? I am also thinking about the Bose Sound Link Mini as DH likes to listen to music while cleaning the kitchen so smaller might be better.

BabyBearsMom
12-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Which one is that? It looks like there are a few different models. I did see one at one of the local Costcos and I think the price was $259 (and we still have our executive member rebate to use as well), does that seem about right price wise? I am also thinking about the Bose Sound Link Mini as DH likes to listen to music while cleaning the kitchen so smaller might be better.

We have the Big. Full price is $299. I think I got it for $250 last year.

AnnieW625
12-10-2013, 05:22 PM
We have the Big. Full price is $299. I think I got it for $250 last year.

Thanks!

happymom
12-10-2013, 05:48 PM
My DH is very difficult to buy for because A) he buys any tool/gadget that he wants- as long as we can afford it. And if we can't afford it, he wouldn't want me to buy it as a gift either and B) He is interested in things that I know nothing about so it would be difficult to research and buy the right thing...

Over the last few years I realized the one thing he does not spend $ on is clothes for himself. He wears a uniform for work every day and doesn't have time/patience to shop for clothes for the few days he doesn't wear uniforms. He usually "binge shops" before a vacation when he realizes he has nothing to wear lol. Anyways, now I basically buy him nice clothes (usually sweaters for some reason) as gifts and he really appreciates it! This Chanukah I also bought him a new hat/scarf set and he loooves it. Its the little things sometimes!

Binkandabee
12-10-2013, 06:15 PM
My DH LOVES the clothing and jackets from Scotevest. He is desperately in need of a winter coat, so I got him the heavy revolution plus, but they have lots of different items from pants to vests to shirts, etc. DH has a few shirts and a fleece jacket and LOVES them. Places to store all of his tech stuff :)

Here's a link to the one I got for DH:

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/Revolution-Plus-Jacket.shtml

Ms B
12-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Coravin with extra capsules. DH luuuuurrrrrves his and is the envy of his wino pals.

Link here: http://www.coravin.com/

If you wanted to go big, you could get him a bottle of wine from his birth year. Always a hit.

DH also loves his Sonos Play:1 and just got another speaker so that we can have it in multiple rooms.

swissair81
12-10-2013, 06:44 PM
Go with his interests. I once tried to go all out for DH's birthday and he tried to hide that he hated everything I got him. I didn't celebrate his birthday for a few years, and finally this year I tried again. He turned 35, so I got him a cupcake with an 'over the hill' toothpick and I bought him two books I would fairly sure he would love. We have a big aquarium and he loves everything space exploration. So I bought him one book about reefs and another about the Mars rover. He was so excited that I spent so much time and effort, even though monetarily I spent less than $50. It's the thought that counts, I think.

ETA: I always feel especially bad because he is so good at getting presents for me. He's generous about it too. I said something to that effect and he told me that just the card I bought him and the message I wrote was priceless to him.

Twoboos
12-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Coravin with extra capsules. DH luuuuurrrrrves his and is the envy of his wino pals.

If you wanted to go big, you could get him a bottle of wine from his birth year. Always a hit.

DH also loves his Sonos Play:1 and just got another speaker so that we can have it in multiple rooms.

Wow, that Coravin is so cool. I hate dumping wine we don't finish soon enough (and we're not even buying expensive wine, LOL!).

And DH also loves his Sonos.

hellokitty
12-10-2013, 06:56 PM
My DH is also impossible to buy for. Due to him buying himself plenty of things on his own (his motto is, "everyday is christmas, for me."), and b/c he likes a lot of things that are very specialized, that I know NOTHING about, it makes it pretty impossible for me to try to buy something to surprise him. In the past, I've had to return things I bought, b/c he flat out told me he wouldn't use it. So, I don't get him gifts. HOWEVER, I still get him stocking stuffers. Do you think that might be another plan? If he doesn't really need anything or if he is very specific about what he likes that would make it too difficult for you to buy for him, can you just do stocking stuffers?

I usually get him books, good chocolate, this yr I'm throwing in a cell phone charger (they are only $5 at at the 5 and below store this wk), a funny garden gnome representing his alma mater, some gum and whatever other small thing I may see, that he'd like or could use. He needs more shaving soap, so I may try to get some more for him.

TwinFoxes
12-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Here are things I have gotten my DH that have been hits in recent years:
Tickets to the Daytona 500
Hockey tickets
A flame thrower for getting rid of weeds (he was like a little kid..."I've got a flame thrower!")
Rock climbing lessons
A chain saw (I think he more liked the idea of it, he hasn't used it much)
A really nice warm coat (he had warm, he had nice, he didn't have nice and warm. :) )

I'm trying to think of what else, but maybe those will give you some ideas?

lizzywednesday
12-10-2013, 07:04 PM

ETA: I always feel especially bad because he is so good at getting presents for me. He's generous about it too. I said something to that effect and he told me that just the card I bought him and the message I wrote was priceless to him.

ZOMG, it's like we're married to the same man!

DH is crazy-good about gifts for DD and me.

But I really do need a list when I shop for him or else I get him some real stinkers! I try. For his birthday this year, I got him Chris Hadfield's book: http://www.amazon.com/Astronauts-Guide-Life-Earth-Determination/dp/0316253014 and a clip-on book light so he can read it anywhere. It was the first time a book was a big hit with him!

AnnieW625
12-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Wow, that Coravin is so cool. I hate dumping wine we don't finish soon enough (and we're not even buying expensive wine, LOL!).

And DH also loves his Sonos.

Wine snobs might say the Vacuvin doesn't work, but my dad (who is in wine sales) has had a Vacuvin for over 20 yrs. and he still uses it, plus it is less than $20:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00004SAF4

theriviera
12-10-2013, 07:11 PM

That Coravin is awesome. DH (and who am I kidding, me, in a few months!) would love that! Did you buy it direct from them?

BabyBearsMom
12-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Here are things I have gotten my DH that have been hits in recent years:
Tickets to the Daytona 500
Hockey tickets
A flame thrower for getting rid of weeds (he was like a little kid..."I've got a flame thrower!")
Rock climbing lessons
A chain saw (I think he more liked the idea of it, he hasn't used it much)
A really nice warm coat (he had warm, he had nice, he didn't have nice and warm. :) )

I'm trying to think of what else, but maybe those will give you some ideas?

OMG my DH would go crazy for a flame thrower weed wacker. He could use it for his weapon plans for the zombie apocalypse (why do I feel like I have a teenage son?)

TwinFoxes
12-10-2013, 07:32 PM
OMG my DH would go crazy for a flame thrower weed wacker. He could use it for his weapon plans for the zombie apocalypse (why do I feel like I have a teenage son?)

It's pretty awesome, I'll find a link.

ETA: Here ya go:
http://www.amazon.com/Red-Dragon-VT-2-23-000-BTU/dp/B00004Z2FP/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1386718346&sr=1-2&keywords=flamethrower

Also good for melting ice. :)

anonomom
12-10-2013, 07:34 PM
What is your budget like? If you feel like splurging, I got this for DH for his birthday and he loves it:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007HZLLOK/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1386718286&sr=8-3&pi=SX200

It's a silly, frivolous toy but it gets lots of use and every man DH has shown it to has asked for one of his own.

Ms B
12-10-2013, 07:49 PM
That Coravin is awesome. DH (and who am I kidding, me, in a few months!) would love that! Did you buy it direct from them?

Yes. DH did the Kickstarter and then watched his e-mail daily for shipment. He tried it out the night he got it home. It is great for those nights when you want to each have a glass of white and a glass of red without wasting or when you want to sample a truly great bottle over a period of time.

ETA -- I note that we buy our refills at a local store.

Annie -- We have a Vacuvin, but it does not hold the wine for weeks or literally months like the Coravin. Also, we find that the Vacuvin does not work on all bottles (e.g. phlanged tops, etc.). For a better bottle and a longer time, Coravin is the only way to go.

twotimesblue
12-10-2013, 08:31 PM
I love the look of the Coravin! Typically, though, DH just bought a canister or argon gas from a local wine store for $6... you put two pumps into an opened bottle and it's supposed to preserve the wine. He might think that the Coravin is just a fancier version of that?

I should have elaborated on DH's interests: he doesn't really have any! He runs his own travel business and works at least 16 hours a day, 7 days a week. He is always on call, so has very little 'down time'. He never reads books. Doesn't much care for sport. Is vegetarian, so no hunting/fishing/steak knives. He used to work in the wine industry, and even blended his own wine, so he does like a nice drink a couple of times a week.

We have a fancy TV (well, it was fancy 3 years ago when we bought it) and I think it gets turned on once or twice a month! DH prefers to web surf during the limited downtime he has, so DVDs are a waste of money. He has all manner of fancy speakers etc but again rarely listens to music unless I put it on.

He is a good cook and enjoys it, but again rarely gets the time. I once bought him cooking lessons and he had fun, but that was before his business was as crazy as it is now. I've bought him sailing and tennis lessons before, which again he liked, but time is really at a premium these days. Clothes-wise, he's Antipodean, and well, let's just say fashion is not his top priority! He is a label snob, though, and won't wear anything from Old Navy etc (me and the kids do! I don't give him grief over it as he was VERY poor growing up - he lived with the Salvation Army for a time when his parents separated - and I think he associates lower-end stores with his deprived childhood).

He does love cars and always wanted to drive a Lambourghini - I checked that off his bucket list for his last birthday, though! Now I'm seriously struggling. I was actually going to buy "him" a Vitamix, which would ultimately be a gift to myself! I could just cop out and get him a massage, but he's been bought 1000 of those before.

Sigh. I am SO easy to buy for. Anything from the window of my lovely local jeweler is guaranteed to be a hit (is there a wishful thinking emoticon?)

TwinFoxes
12-10-2013, 08:39 PM
This may be crazy, but have you asked him what he wants? :)

vludmilla
12-10-2013, 08:57 PM
A fancy wine club membership or other fancy food delivery?

curiousgeorge
12-10-2013, 09:04 PM
What about a membership to one of the wine clubs? Like from a small upscale winery that you can't get anywhere else? We toured several that we loved and got shipments from for several years after our visit to Napa and Sonoma. You could get a wine fridge to go with it...and one of the wine preservers mentioned up thread.

Ms B
12-10-2013, 09:31 PM
Subscription to a CSA?
Tasty treat from Russ & Daughters, Murray's Cheese or Zingerman's?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk