PDA

View Full Version : S/O - What sort of Holiday pay/gift/bonus for a FT sitter?

BabbyO
12-10-2013, 05:54 PM
You would think I have this down...but due to the multiple changes in our DC situation over the last 2 years, I'm feeling out of the loop.

Our sitter watches our boys in Her home (along with 2 other children and her own son). She has my 2 yo all day from 8 - 5 ish. She has my 4 yo basically from 11:30 till 5 ish. She currently drops Stachio off at 4k in the morning (same time/school as her son). She picked him up after his 1/2 day for 2 mo, and now we have a classmates mom dropping him off.

She also drops the kids off at our house at the end of the day - at her request. What is an appropriate Holiday gift? (I would pay it in cash so she doesn't have to claim on her taxes since it is meant to be a gift).

I would love to do a couple week's pay, but there is NO way it is in our budget. One week would be the max we can afford...and that stresses me out a bit. We love her and I want her to know she's appreciated, but I try to show her that by paying when the kids are sick, if DH or I has a random day off and she doesn't have the kids, when she is sick, etc. Her grandmother passed away earlier this year and we paid her for 2 days while she took care of family matters (offered more time, but she only took 2 days). I also have given her a little extra on weeks when DH is traveling and she has the kids longer.

#2 - this got me to thinking. The family that picks up our son after school and takes him to the sitter's house, wouldn't accept any cash for helping us out. Would it be appropriate to get them a Gas GC to a local station as a "Thank you/Merry Christmas" gift. I already plan to send some homemade cookies to them.

ha98ed14
12-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Honestly, with what you are saying, I would give your sitter and the other mom who walks your son to the babysitter's house each a $20 gift card to Starbucks and call it done. You don't have to go above and beyond. Yes, it's Christmas, but you don't have to show your gratitude in $. JMO.

AnnieW625
12-10-2013, 06:14 PM
I have done $20-$40 for either Starbucks, Target, or a pedicure place a d that is what I would do in your situation as well. This year for the daycare I am going to make a photo book of the photos that our DCP has taken throughout the year and placed on the daycare center shutterfly site.

vonfirmath
12-10-2013, 06:29 PM
I always did 1 week's pay for our FT childcare provider

melrose7
12-10-2013, 07:37 PM
I am in almost the same situation as your sitter. I watch one child all day and the other I take and pick up from 4k. I'm previous years I have gotten one week pay and I thought that was very generous.