PDA

View Full Version : Need some help from Apple Iphone people, a iMessage ?

AnnieW625
12-10-2013, 06:20 PM
DH told me the other day that when he sends me a message that even though my Imessage is on that my messages aren't blue, they are green, which means a standard text, right? I have not updated my phone to iOS7. So I am trying to send a text to someone else who I know has updated to the newest operating system for her iphone 4 and it is green is not blue. So is this really a sign that I really do need to update to iOS 7?

vonfirmath
12-10-2013, 06:30 PM
As long as they get the text, does it matter if it is a imessage or not? I don't get the difference.

AnnieW625
12-10-2013, 06:37 PM
I don't have a texting plan so I only text most people if I know they have an iphone; I do make a few exceptions, but in general will only text someone with an iphone:bag. I actually figured out the problem with my friend though. I thought I had saved her new number in her old contact and I hadn't so that was the issue there, but it still doesn't explain why DH's phone (also an iphone 4s) is doing it.

KLD313
12-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Did you turn iMessage off accidentally? That's what happened when my friend kept sending me green messages.

egoldber
12-10-2013, 06:47 PM
:yeahthat:

Go into Settings>Messages and make sure that iMessage is turned on. I know I have accidentally turned it off before.

AnnieW625
12-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Mine is on, so the messages I was getting from him were iMessages. I checked his phone as well and iMessage wasn't turned off.

egoldber
12-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Does it happen all the time or just occasionally? Sometimes if I am in an area with weak signal my texts get sent as SMS instead of iMessage.

mmommy
12-10-2013, 06:51 PM
This mysteriously happened with my iPhone 4S when I updated the OS. I hadn't turned iMessaging off and only noticed when I got a text from AT&T that I was almost over my texting limit. I Reset the phone (hold both buttons down for a few seconds) and it cleared up. And I had to spend a few hours on the phone/chat with AT&T to get them to agree not to charge me for the overages.

BDKmom
12-10-2013, 06:54 PM
There was some sort of glitch with iMessage right after the update came out. I had trouble but rebooting my phone as PP mentioned fixed the problem. I would reset your and his.

Zukini
12-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Yup, try rebooting the phone. My iPhone 4S (with IOS7) was doing that very same thing for weeks - the iMessages were all getting hung up until I either manually converted them to text or went into Settings and just indicated to use text regardless. Apple was aware of and working on the problem from what I understand, and mine eventually resolved. But I did have to reboot several times before it "took". The problem was annoying because I iMessage family with iPhones internationally (vs. $0.25 per SMS text) and I was starting to getting complaints from them LOL.

Is there a reason you haven't upgraded to IOS7? It took a little getting used to, but it works pretty well now IMHO. Biggest issue for me was the run on battery life since apps now started updating in the background - but this is apparently a setting that can be turned off. Haven't tried it though as I just got used to charging a little more frequently.

sariana
12-10-2013, 07:34 PM
As long as they get the text, does it matter if it is a imessage or not? I don't get the difference.

The difference for some of us is that iMessages are free while texts are not!!

Sometimes a message I send to DH will show as blue then will change to green AFTER I've sent it. That is annoying!

larig
12-10-2013, 08:13 PM
also make sure that in your DH's contact list that your phone number (and his in yours) are both tagged as "iphone" numbers (not home or mobile, but "iphone"). That makes a difference, I think, in terms of what service the app tries first.

mommylamb
12-10-2013, 09:26 PM
I really prefer iOS7.

I don't have a texting plan either because most of the people I know and would text have iphones, so it just isn't worth it. I hate those odd times when somehow I end up sending a text instead.