PDA

View Full Version : s/o nopooing and salon visits.. Larig? anyone?

Globetrotter
12-11-2013, 01:16 AM
Larig, in the other thread you said your hair looked great after a salon visit, so I had some questions. If anyone else has experience with this, I would love your feedback!

I have had two salon services since going curly, and both times they used dry remedy shampoo and conditioner (aveda) which was okay, but I wanted them to style it curly and they failed miserably, made every mistake in the book, and it looked worse than usual. I was so disappointed, but it goes to show that most stylists don't understand curly hair. ONe time I insisted on non silicone product and it was not as bad, but the other time I let her do her thing and it was awful - despite talking like she understood, she didn't know how to manage it and wondered why it didn't work out. Do you just get it blow dried straight or have them use a diffuser or… ? I dread those visits now and feel the need to wash and style myself afterwards after paying them a fortune to do it. I only use Aveda color so I'm limited to a few salons, though I started getting it CUT at a devacurl salon. I have been looking for other relatively gentle coloring alternatives without luck.

ETA: The time it worked a bit better, they used some Devine product, which my AVeda salon promotes.

I don't dare tell them that I nopoo or any of that because they are so tied to selling their product and I don't need to hear a lecture from them when I am managing it quite well on my own! That was always a huge pet peeve of mine, and it's only worse now!

If you get it blow dried at the salon, is it easy to go curly again? The Curly girl book makes it sound like you should never straighten it, and I've followed that only because my hair was damaged from heat styling. Otherwise, I don't have a problem with an occasional change :) The only thing is, I would only want to use silicone free product for blow drying and I'm not sure what Aveda has. I don't know if I have the guts to take in my own product!

Any thoughts?