PDA

View Full Version : what kind of rings did you or did you not get for your wedding (& anniversaries)?

eagle
12-11-2013, 05:00 AM
no poll bc i think there must be a million different scenarios!

we each got a plain (platinum) wedding band on our marriage day. i lost my band sometime after the birth of my first kid. i couldnt wear it bc my fingers got too swollen. and im kind of sad i cant find it. but not devasted. so i walk around w nothing.

im not against diamonds. i just dont really care for jewelry bc it irritates me. even my wedding band was something i never could get used to. i would feel it and that hard piece of metal between my fingers would just be SO noticeable and annoying. i even got a tan line, but id still notice!

i see a lot of you have anniversary bands. so does that mean you are wearing an engagement ring, a wedding band and anniversary rings? or do you pick and choose depending on mood / outfit?

just curious!

klwa
12-11-2013, 07:42 AM
At the wedding, I got two plain (thin) gold bands to fit on either side of my engagement ring. We had the whole thing soldered together before the wedding. No anniversary bands for us.

BDKmom
12-11-2013, 07:53 AM
My engagement run is a round solitaire diamond, just under a carat, on a plain white gold band. My wedding ring is a plain white gold band, just slightly thicker than the band on my engagement ring. DH's wedding ring is a white gold band with a satin finish because he didn't want anything too shiny.

For our 10th anniversary, we both got new wedding bands. Mine is an eternity band with small diamonds all the way around. I wear it in place of my original wedding band. DH got a tungsten band. I'm not very sentimental about our original bands. They are in my jewelry box. When we got them, it's all we could afford, but now I wanted something nicer.

BabyBearsMom
12-11-2013, 08:02 AM
I have a simple white gold 3-stone engagement ring and a white gold wedding band with paved diamonds on top. They are small as DH and I were young (and broke) when we got married. DH says he wants to get me a bigger anniversary ring for our 10 yr anniversary which is in 1.5 years. I would wear it on my right hand ring finger.

brittone2
12-11-2013, 08:04 AM
E-ring is a solitaire, and my wedding ring is platinum with pave diamonds. Dh's is a plain platinum band.

georgiegirl
12-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Engagement ring was a solitaire, wedding ring was a plain platinum band with our names and wedding date on the inside

DH isn't the type to buy me jewelry

boolady
12-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Engagement ring is an emerald cut diamond with a sapphire trillion on each side. Wedding band is alternating small sapphires and diamonds-maybe 4 of each? Both
rings are platinum. DH has a plain platinum band.

I haven't worn either in several years because I smashed a sliding door into my left hand and the rings got so damaged they had to be cut off. I have been dragging my feet about getting them redone because of the cost; however, DH and I have been talking about doing it for my next birthday.

Philly Mom
12-11-2013, 08:54 AM
E-ring is a solitaire, and my wedding ring is platinum with pave diamonds. Dh's is a plain platinum band.

Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Momit
12-11-2013, 08:57 AM
I have an engagement ring and wedding band that I wear just about every day. Occasionally, like when we travel to a place where I don't want to wear a diamond ring, I'll wear MIL's plain wedding band (she left it to me when she passed away), it's a little wider than mine and looks better as a stand alone ring.

Boolady - ouch! Did you break your hand?

Twoboos
12-11-2013, 09:30 AM
My engagement ring has one larger diamond in the middle and a smaller one on each side. My wedding ring and 10 year anniversary bands both have 5 diamonds, I wear them on each side of the E-ring. They are all fused together (to stop the spinning) and I love it! I wear the set every day.

queenmama
12-11-2013, 09:36 AM
I have a solitaire e-ring and w-band, each 2mm platinum. I don't have an anniversary ring. Was hoping this year -- our 15th anni!!! -- but we are broke! Maybe our 20th? ;)

I haven't really thought about whether to wear an anni ring stacked on top of mine, in place of my set, or on my right hand.

Lara

lizzywednesday
12-11-2013, 09:49 AM
DH picked my engagement ring - it's a 3-stone ring, very pretty, in white gold. I don't wear it except for special occasions because it's a hassle.

My wedding band is plain white gold with channel-set diamonds going about halfway around. It was designed by the same jewelery designer who designed my engagement ring, but selecting it was pure coincidence.

DH's ring is a white gold band with a satin finish.

My ring fits precisely inside DH's ring, which is something we discovered during our wedding ceremony. It's one of my favorite memories from our wedding day!

boolady
12-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Boolady - ouch! Did you break your hand?

No. My fingers, at their bases, were swollen and bruised, but it was shocking to me that the rings bent the way they did. There was no way to get them off- they were like rectangles, and my finger swelling wasn't helping. Two stones came out of my wedding band but I found them. I went to the jewelry store that made my engagement ring to see if they had any tricks for getting them off, but they didn't. They told me that the cutting and removal process might damage the diamond in my engagement ring, but I had to get them off. Luckily, the stone was fine.

crl
12-11-2013, 10:11 AM
I didn't want an engagement ring at all. Dh felt that it was very important that I have one. I did not want a diamond. So I have a sapphire solitaire as my engagement ring. My wedding band is a wrap with six very small marquise cut diamonds so the effect is rather like a flower. Dh designed it. It is lovely, but pointy and fragile so hard to wear everyday with small children.

So for an anniversary, I asked for a plain band. It is a silver and gold and from Sundance and it is what I wear 99 percent of the time.

Catherine

ETA. I forgot to say that I also inherited the diamond solitaire my grandfather gave to my grandmother for their fiftieth wedding anniversary. It coincidently fits perfectly into my wrap wedding band. When I am all dressed up, I sometimes wear this combination. :)

lmh2402
12-11-2013, 10:21 AM
my engagement is an antique cut center stone and the setting is platinum with pave all the way around. wedding band is pave around to match. for 5 years, H got me a second pave to go on other side of engagement ring.

i never wear my engagement ring unless i'm going out for dinner or something. to big and clunky, catches on things. i used to wear one of the simple pave bands - they're thin and delicate. haven't worn much this year b/c of other issues. but in the last month or so, I find myself putting one on a couple of times a week just out of habit. it's easy to wear and doesn't catch on anything, which i like.

no intentions or desires for any other rings

abh5e8
12-11-2013, 11:15 AM
my engagement ring is a round (?) diamond with 2 oval saphires, 1 on either side. platnium setting. my wedding ring has 5 small diamonds in a row across the top. (no idea what its actually called). they are not fused, as i thought iw ould want to just wear the wedding band (e-ring is kinda tall) but i wear both every day. i love how they spin and are not fused. :)

we have only been married 8 years, no anniversary ring. but i think someday i would like to have an eternity band (if i can. i have tiny fingers, both my rings are size 4, so not sure if they can make an eternity band that small). i think i would wear it in place of my current wedding band.

dh has a plain squarish band, i think its tungsten.

KLD313
12-11-2013, 11:45 AM
I'm divorced and the only thing I miss about that marriage are my rings. I have a 1.65 tw ring. A 1.01 emerald cut center stone and then smaller stones in the same shape channel set halfway around. There were four little round stones on the top of the setting like in these little scrolls. Hard to explain but pretty. My band was the same, channel set emerald cut halfway around. So they sit locked up and I have no clue what to do with them.

maestramommy
12-11-2013, 12:05 PM
We both got plain platinum bands for our wedding. Not an anniversary ring, but for our 10th anniversary I got an "everyday" ring. It's silver, in one of those "eternal knot" with little diamonds set in the knot part. I wear it on my right hand. My engagement ring I happen to be wearing now, but I usually wear it for dress occasions or date night only.

kdeunc
12-11-2013, 12:20 PM
My engagement ring is a solitare with 3 pave diamonds on each side. The wedding ring goes with it, 10 pave diamonds. They are platinum. DH has a plain platinum band. No anniversary rings. I generally wear both rings daily.

Ceepa
12-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Engagement ring is a solitaire. Wedding band is channel-set diamonds.

flashy09
12-11-2013, 12:45 PM
I have a platinum engagement ring with a crossed band and a 5 stone wedding ring in white gold. The white gold has definitely tarnished so I recommend platinum! I don't have them fused together because of the crossed band.

BabbyO
12-11-2013, 12:50 PM
I have a heart shaped diamond solitaire that I got as an engagement ring. My wedding band (white gold) is a hands and crown wrap that together with the heart solitaire create a Claddagh. It was custom made at by a local jeweler. For our first anniversary DH got me a plain gold band that matches his so I can wear that when I'm on construction sites or traveling.

123LuckyMom
12-11-2013, 12:54 PM
I just described my rings in the anniversary ring thread. I have an eternity band for my wedding ring and an interesting engagement ring that has multiple small, different shape stones, a slightly larger, though not large, center stone, and a pave band. I wear both daily.

I have other rings, but I never wear them. I'm just not a jewelry person. I wear the same set of diamond stud earrings every day.

The only piece of jewelry I really covet is a fancy watch. I have an Ebel now, which I love, but I'd like a dress up watch, maybe yellow gold with diamonds. Cartier used to make really beautiful jeweled tank watches, but I haven't seen anything I like lately. I seem to be drawn to yellow gold right now. Almost all my jewelry is white gold or platinum.

marymoo86
12-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Engagement ring is a princess cut diamond with two rounds on either side followed by two baguettes. Very 20's looking.
Wedding ring is plain thin band
anniversary ring is the alternating round and baguette style of the engagement ring but not all the way around
all platinum - thankfully have been married long enough that platinum was the same price as white gold

123LuckyMom
12-11-2013, 01:01 PM
I'm divorced and the only thing I miss about that marriage are my rings. I have a 1.65 tw ring. A 1.01 emerald cut center stone and then smaller stones in the same shape channel set halfway around. There were four little round stones on the top of the setting like in these little scrolls. Hard to explain but pretty. My band was the same, channel set emerald cut halfway around. So they sit locked up and I have no clue what to do with them.

Not to derail the conversation, but have you considered using the stones to make jewelry for your children? My mother has done that a lot with pieces of hers, my grandmother's and my great grandmother's. For example, she took a diamond pin of my grandmother's that she didn't love, took the stones out, and made diamond studs for all the granddaughters. It sounds like you have enough small stones in your rings that you could do this, though the rings sound lovely! Maybe you'd rather just leave them be.

KLD313
12-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Not to derail the conversation, but have you considered using the stones to make jewelry for your children? My mother has done that a lot with pieces of hers, my grandmother's and my great grandmother's. For example, she took a diamond pin of my grandmother's that she didn't love, took the stones out, and made diamond studs for all the granddaughters. It sounds like you have enough small stones in your rings that you could do this, though the rings sound lovely! Maybe you'd rather just leave them be.

I haven't considered that but the rings aren't from my kids father so I'm guessing my current BF won't be into that. LOL. That's a nice idea though. I did consider resetting it for me but it's hard to use an emerald cut stone and not make it look like an engagement ring. I don't really associate them w my ex-h because I paid for them but my BF feels differently. Idk. It's such a waste because me stone is very valuable.

gymnbomb
12-11-2013, 01:23 PM
I have one like this: http://www.zales.com/product/index.jsp?productId=17878316&fd=Ladies%27&fd=%24500.00+-+%24749.00&fd=White&fd=White&size=96&fv=Gender%2FLadies%27&fv=00050000~-~00074999&fv=Metal+Color%2FWhite&fv=Stone+Color%2FWhite&ff=PAD&ff=StorePrice&ff=PAD&ff=PAD

I am not a ring person and do not have or want an engagement or anniversary ring. I do love my wedding ring, though it took me a while to get used to it. I am one of those people who knew exactly what I wanted and told DH when we were at the point of living together and assuming we would get married eventually but not actually engaged.

crl
12-11-2013, 01:36 PM
I haven't considered that but the rings aren't from my kids father so I'm guessing my current BF won't be into that. LOL. That's a nice idea though. I did consider resetting it for me but it's hard to use an emerald cut stone and not make it look like an engagement ring. I don't really associate them w my ex-h because I paid for them but my BF feels differently. Idk. It's such a waste because me stone is very valuable.

I think I would sell them intact. Sounds like they are lovely as is, but not something you will ever use and not something meaningful to your kids either.

Catherine

marinkitty
12-11-2013, 01:37 PM
My engagement ring is a solitaire with a platinum band and my wedding ring is a thin platinum band with channel set diamonds half-way around. For our 10-year anniversary, DH bought me an eternity band with diamonds all the way around but the stones are too big for me to wear it with my other rings (it is wider) so I wear it on my right hand. For my 40th, DH got me a very thin sapphire and diamond eternity band (the size I wish my anniversary band was) and I stack that with my other two rings on my left hand. But I only wear any of my rings if I'm dressed up or going somewhere other than the run of the mill day-to-day gym, errands, carpool routine. Most of the time I don't wear my rings at all.

AnnieW625
12-11-2013, 01:55 PM
This is my engagement/wedding ring (the platinum band is sautered to the diamond ring-- I had that done after I lost the first platinum band--thankfully it was less than $200 to replace). The center stone is a 1/2 carat and the side diamonds are 1/4 carat IIRC. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/12/gemyvypu.jpg

I have always loved the look of vintage rings and would have loved a non diamond center stone like this one:
http://www.whiteflash.com/articlefiles/1_49ct%20blue%20sapphire%20with%20_50ctw%20side%20 stones,%20hand%20engraved%20palladium(1).jpg

but DH preferred all diamonds and I also liked one at the jeweler we used similar to this one, but it had been sold and DH liked the one I have as well and they still had it and it was his choice so I went with it.
http://www.devonsjewelers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/side-ring-27.jpg

arivecchi
12-11-2013, 03:22 PM
My engagement ring is an emerald cut solitaire platinum ring that I adore. DH did such an amazing job picking it out. I get a lot of compliments on it. The wedding band is platinum with channel set diamonds all around. I love my rings and wear them all the time. In fact, I feel naked without them!

niccig
12-11-2013, 03:26 PM
These are my rings.
I go the middle tulip eternity ring for my engagement/wedding band. The other 2 thin eternity rings were for 5th anniversary to keep the wedding band on. I can't resize my wedding band, so got slightly smaller ring to wear above and it looked best with same ring below. The 3 look like 1 ring, but they're not joined together.

ETA..sorry for big pictures..I made them smaller on photobucket, but not coming through here smaller.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/niccig03/Rings/IMG_0577.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/niccig03/media/Rings/IMG_0577.jpg.html)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/niccig03/Rings/IMG_0576.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/niccig03/media/Rings/IMG_0576.jpg.html)

smilequeen
12-11-2013, 05:04 PM
I have a diamond engagement ring and a matching wedding band. Then I have a 3 stone anniversary ring.

Right now I wear my Anniversary ring on my left hand because I bent my engagement ring badly (it's platinum and apparently VERY soft) so that I can't wear it. I am trying to pick a new setting for my center stone. I'm attached to the stone, but I'm OK with getting a new set.

buttercup
12-11-2013, 05:05 PM
I wear only one ring, so my engagement ring served as wedding bad as well. It is an antique European cut (round stone in a square setting) that I adore. It hasn't occurred to me to upgrade, I just love this. It wasn't expensive.

HannaAddict
12-11-2013, 05:29 PM
My engagement ring is an emerald cut solitaire platinum ring that I adore. DH did such an amazing job picking it out. I get a lot of compliments on it. The wedding band is platinum with channel set diamonds all around. I love my rings and wear them all the time. In fact, I feel naked without them!

Finally, someone else who wears their rings! I was never a ring person but love my engagement ring and wedding band. They are 1930's platinum with center diamond set into the ring and tiny diamonds in the scroll work around. It was his paternal grandmother's actual set. Band is platinum with diamonds set into it around. He lucked out and didn't have to buy one, just have it sized! I wear them every day all day and get compliments all the time. Most moms I know all wear their E rings etc. to school, in sweats, etc. so this thread had me flummoxed. Even really big rings. A few years ago, he surprised me with a gorgeous thick platinum band with five diamonds all about .8. It seemed huge and is very sparkly (he did great stones conflict free) but I got used to it. I wear it every day on my right hand and love it. It is like a ring Blue Niles has five stone signature 3 carat band. http://www.bluenile.com/platinum-blue-nile-signature-ideal-cut-diamond-ring_46522?track=product&elem=image

He is a jewelry guy, he likes buying it and I was very surprised!

HannaAddict
12-11-2013, 05:31 PM
These are my rings.
I go the middle tulip eternity ring for my engagement/wedding band. The other 2 thin eternity rings were for 5th anniversary to keep the wedding band on. I can't resize my wedding band, so got slightly smaller ring to wear above and it looked best with same ring below. The 3 look like 1 ring, but they're not joined together.

ETA..sorry for big pictures..I made them smaller on photobucket, but not coming through here smaller.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/niccig03/Rings/IMG_0577.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/niccig03/media/Rings/IMG_0577.jpg.html)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/niccig03/Rings/IMG_0576.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/niccig03/media/Rings/IMG_0576.jpg.html)

Really lovely. I like them!

nfowife
12-11-2013, 05:53 PM
My engagement ring is a round center stone with 2 smaller bar-set (a vertical bar) of platinum between each stone. The wedding band has 5 of the small size stones with the bars in between.
I'm on my 2nd engagement ring. I lost the first one in 2007 and never found it. Got the insurance money and set it aside while we lived overseas. I designed my new engagement ring a few months after we returned to the US in early 2009. The original was very similar as they both match my wedding band, but the original had one stone on each side of the center instead of 2. Also I very slightly bumped up the size of my center stone with the new version :) . I wear them both everyday when I leave the house except to the gym. I don't wear them around the house, though.
PSA: insure, insure, insure!! and every few years, re-appraise!

AnnieW625
12-11-2013, 05:57 PM
I wear my rings every day except at night. I have to take them off at night.

GaPeach_in_Ca
12-11-2013, 06:10 PM
I wear my engagment ring & anniversary band all the time, basically. This is a picture from when I was trying on anniversary bands and is basically the type of ring I have now. I don't wear the wedding band that much anymore.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p12/SiValleySteph/rings.jpg

BDKmom
12-11-2013, 07:23 PM

My parents are divorced, and my mom had the diamond from her engagement ring set into a really pretty pendant. Your BF may be bothered by that also, but it does seem a shame to have your diamonds just locked away.

niccig
12-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Really lovely. I like them!

Thanks. I get many comments about my rings as it's not your usual solitaire engagement ring + band. I think if I had one stone that sat above the ring, it would catch on things so I wouldn't wear it. I wear these all the time, but take them off for washing up, shower, plus anything messy like lotion or some cooking as the lotion etc will collect in the gaps in between the flowers. I feel naked if I'm not wearing my rings or my watch.

KLD313
12-11-2013, 08:34 PM
My parents are divorced, and my mom had the diamond from her engagement ring set into a really pretty pendant. Your BF may be bothered by that also, but it does seem a shame to have your diamonds just locked away.

I did think of doing that but I don't want a plain solitaire pendant.

I also considered selling it like crl suggested but I don't think I can sell it intact. My ring size at the time was 3 3/4 and sizing it up will break the side stones.

niccig
12-11-2013, 08:49 PM
I think I would sell them intact. Sounds like they are lovely as is, but not something you will ever use and not something meaningful to your kids either.

Catherine

I agree with selling them, even selling the stones if you can't sell the intact ring. Use that money to buy something or do something for your family now. It was your money as you bought them.

Kindra178
12-11-2013, 10:10 PM

This exactly. Word for word. I don't take them off.

pastrygirl
12-11-2013, 10:53 PM
I have an antique-looking set. The band was custom made to match the engagement ring, which is scroll-y and has teardrop and round diamond settings next to the center stone. The band has cutouts to match the teardrop and round shape so they kind of lock together.

A couple of years ago, I was searching for a mom ring and found a band that matched the shape of my rings. It had small sapphires that I had replaced with my kids' birthstones. I had planned to wear a mom ring on my right hand, but this one fit so perfectly with my wedding rings and was already my size, it looks like they were a set. Last week I realized the band has a gap in it so I haven't been wearing it and my finger feels weird now with only the two rings! I haven't had time to get it repaired but want to do it ASAP.

I only take my rings off to lift weights or help my husband hang drywall in the basement.