PDA

View Full Version : good january vacation destination?

basil
12-11-2013, 03:04 PM
DH promised my Hawaii in January but the budget just isn't there this year so we'll put it off.

We have a 2 year old and I'll be ~24 weeks pregnant. So no skiing or super active things.

We're in the north east, so someplace warm would be good.

Orlando? I think DS is too young to really appreciate Disney. Other places in Florida?

lmh2402
12-11-2013, 03:12 PM
North East - Turks & Caicos

we're going in Jan and went last year in Jan - sun, sand, as relaxing as you want. and I would think less taxing to the budget than going all the way to Hawaii from this side of the country

I may be wrong, but I don't think it's a sure bet that Orlando will be all that warm in Jan. Yes, warmer than Boston or New York, but not warm like shorts weather.

khalloc
12-11-2013, 03:17 PM
North East - Turks & Caicos

we're going in Jan and went last year in Jan - sun, sand, as relaxing as you want. and I would think less taxing to the budget than going all the way to Hawaii from this side of the country

I may be wrong, but I don't think it's a sure bet that Orlando will be all that warm in Jan. Yes, warmer than Boston or New York, but not warm like shorts weather.

We went to Orlando the first week of February a few years ago and it was chilly. Not freezing, but in the 50s, cool and rainy. So yeah, you cant bet on nice weather.

arivecchi
12-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Puerto Rico

sariana
12-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Well, FWIW I don't think 2 is too young for Disney, but Disneyland might be less overwhelming for a first experience.

Which ties right into my recommendation--San Diego! Yes, it could be cold (all relative, of course), but it's always "nice" in San Diego. It's only a few hours south of Anaheim, so you could do Disneyland in the same trip if you wanted to.

In between are Balboa Pier and Fun Zone. If you rent a car, you can ride across on a ferry--always a hit with my kids! Farther south along the coast, there are the tide pools in Dana Point, as well as the Ocean Institute (not sure of its good for age 2, though).

In San Diego are the Zoo and SeaWorld. Balboa Park (which surrounds the zoo) is also great to visit.

In the mountains near San Diego there is a small town called Julian. Near there are some mines, with tours and train rides. It will be cold up there in January, but not compared to the northeast.

The trolleys in San Diego are fun to ride.

If you are looking for an "all-inclusive" vacation with everything in one place, San Diego may not be the best choice. But if you are going to have a car and are willing to explore a bit, it's great.

westwoodmom04
12-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Not even southern Florida is dependably warm in January, we've had years we've gone and its been in the 50's and other years, in the 80's. Anywhere in the caribbean is likely to have better weather, I would check out one of the bigger islands like Puerto Rico or Jamaica for the better deals. January is going to be peak season.

musicalgrl
12-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Dominican Republic! We went to an all inclusive a few years ago and there were a lot of families with small children. Plus it's an easy flight from the East Coast.