PDA

View Full Version : Disney cruise... how do you decide which one?

Tammy
12-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Let me start by saying DH and I have been on a Western Carribean cruise previously and loved it. Our family just returned from our first visit to WDW and now thinking about a Disney cruise next year or early 2015.

How do you choose which cruise you want to do? Do you choose the ship you want first? I read the Fantasy and Dream are newer and include the Aqua duck. Do you choose how many nights you want and then which destinations?

I know we want to leave from Florida. Currently kids ages are almost 3 (one month shy) and 7. I'm not sure if we would use the kid's clubs or not until we get there and get a feel for how comfortable my oldest would be. I'm not crazy about leaving my youngest with strangers and the girls would be separated due to their ages. Maybe I'd feel different once we got there and saw the people and areas, just don't know.

Our kids love to swim and would like anything water related for sure. Younger DD is also potty trained. Also need to choose room type I'm guessing...younger DD still takes naps. As a family we typically do better when we have a one-bdrm setup so I can get the kiddos to bed and then relax or plan for next day (that extra room is helpful though even to spread out just a little). I'm sure that adds to the cost so we may not want that option, just a thought.

Thanks for any advice!

egoldber
12-11-2013, 04:18 PM
Well, for us, we knew we wanted a 7 day. We picked the week that worked best for us and then saw what was available. We didn't really care that much about the itinerary because the cruise/boat experience was more important to us than the destinations. We ended up on a Fantasy 7Night Western.

I posted an extensive review when I got back in July.

Tammy
12-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Well, for us, we knew we wanted a 7 day. We picked the week that worked best for us and then saw what was available. We didn't really care that much about the itinerary because the cruise/boat experience was more important to us than the destinations. We ended up on a Fantasy 7Night Western.

I posted an extensive review when I got back in July.

Thanks, I read your review! Don't remember if you'd cruised before with your kiddos? Since we haven't been previously with kids wondered if we should go for the 4 night over the 7 night to start with?

egoldber
12-11-2013, 04:43 PM
None of the 4 of us had ever been on a cruise before. :)

ETA: A 4 night is really not enough time. I would do the 7 day if at all possible.

Tondi G
12-11-2013, 09:18 PM
I would try for a 7 day if you can. I would go for the newer ships with the Aquaduck. For rooms I would suggest a balcony or larger cabin. We loved having a balcony. 2 rooms will make it a bit more expensive because you are paying 1st and 2nd passenger rates for all .... in one room you pay less for the 3rd and 4th passengers typically.

Have you been over to Cruisecritic.com ? Great website .... tons of info. They have boards for Disney Cruise line specifically, then you can check the ports, and they also have a board for Family cruising. It can be a little overwhelming but the people are usually very helpful and knowledgeable.

Tammy
12-12-2013, 11:00 AM
I would try for a 7 day if you can. I would go for the newer ships with the Aquaduck. For rooms I would suggest a balcony or larger cabin. We loved having a balcony. 2 rooms will make it a bit more expensive because you are paying 1st and 2nd passenger rates for all .... in one room you pay less for the 3rd and 4th passengers typically.

Have you been over to Cruisecritic.com ? Great website .... tons of info. They have boards for Disney Cruise line specifically, then you can check the ports, and they also have a board for Family cruising. It can be a little overwhelming but the people are usually very helpful and knowledgeable.

Thanks! We had a balcony on our first cruise and loved it. I don't think we want the added expense of 2 rooms as nice as that would be (now that I've looked at some prices) ;). I will check out that site, thanks. Do you all worry about scheduling during hurricane season?

egoldber
12-12-2013, 01:50 PM
I worried about it a little bit. And in fact, the cruise the week after us rearranged their itinerary because of inclement weather. But the great thing about the cruise is there is soooooo much to do on the boat! The kids were bummed because it rained on our Castaway Cay day, but they had a fantastic time in the pool, Aquaduck, and Aqualab.

ETA: We were all in a cat 10A interior deluxe cabin. Really, it was fine. Although my perception may be flawed by the fact that my ILs had a connecting cabin.

Also, your kids would not be separated. Kids 3-12 can be in the Oceaneer's Club/Lab. Older kids (11+) tend to prefer the tween club. My older DD only went to the Club/Lab once and never wanted to go back.