PDA

View Full Version : Anyone gift their DC's therapist?

Dream
12-11-2013, 04:56 PM
My daughter is getting speech therapy in a university that have their students come in and practice while the therapist overlooks and guides accordingly. Its private and pay out of pocket. It's been the same two students that always work with her. So I'm wondering whether I should give a gift. If I were to I'll have to give 3 gifts.

Do you gift your child's therapist? If so whats the $$ amt?

Thank you

brittone2
12-11-2013, 05:17 PM
My daughter is getting speech therapy in a university that have their students come in and practice while the therapist overlooks and guides accordingly. Its private and pay out of pocket. It's been the same two students that always work with her. So I'm wondering whether I should give a gift. If I were to I'll have to give 3 gifts.

Do you gift your child's therapist? If so whats the $$ amt?

Thank you
When I worked in EI, many families gave gifts, but agencies often have limits on what you can accept, and honestly it always made me feel a bit uncomfortable, although I appreciated the gesture immensely. Many families I worked with were lower income, and it was touching that they wanted to give. What truly meant the most were the heartfelt notes of thanks, or something simple like a little craft or picture drawn by the child I was seeing.

Pilotbaby
12-11-2013, 05:23 PM
I'm not sure about speech therapists but psychotherapists are really not supposed to accept gifts from clients. Could your children maybe make them something? That would be sweet and let them know you are thinking about them and probably wouldn't violate any agency policies.

hellokitty
12-11-2013, 05:36 PM
When my son was seeing a SLP at school, I did include a gift for her, like I did to the teachers. My youngest DS has been in ST for 2 yrs (at an outside facility through our insurance) and we never gifted her anything. However, he, "graduated" from ST a couple months ago and I did get her a $50 GC to a local boutique. She was an excellent SLP and we had such a great relationship.

ett
12-11-2013, 05:38 PM
DS1 previously saw an OT who worked privately. I usually got her a small gift around $15-$20.

okinawama
12-11-2013, 05:57 PM
I am using my Silhouette to make a vinyl monogrammed (knock off Terivs) cup for DS speech and developmental therapist.

Eris1995
12-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Great question! My son is in speech and therapy. We're on a tight budget but I might make them sugar body scrub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

georgiegirl
12-11-2013, 07:08 PM
I have DD's speech therapist (through the school system) last year a $20 Starbucks gift card. When DS was little, he had some OT and she got a Starbucks gift card too.

My sister is a speech therapist and she was very apprecuative of any gift she received. She worked in the public school system.

missliss55
12-11-2013, 07:33 PM
DD#3 does private PT and we have always given a Starbucks card.

Dream
12-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Thank you for posting. I ordered amazon GCs, $10 each for the two students and $20 for the therapist.

Seitvonzu
12-11-2013, 08:30 PM
i also did the starbucks card route -- we loved our SLP and still talk about her! we did a special visit just to say "hi" before school started :)

lmh2402
12-11-2013, 10:43 PM
yes, we also did starbucks cards each year!