PDA

View Full Version : Help! I'm allergic to my Christmas tree!

SnuggleBuggles
12-11-2013, 10:47 PM
This tree has been a disaster all around but we have it settled in finally but I can not stop sneezing. Ds1 has watery eyes too. I have always had a real tree and I have never had this reaction. For those who have had this reaction, does it settle down or am I in for 3 weeks of an annoying running nose and sneezing? Definitely not a cold- feel great otherwise. It's the same kind of tree as always, Fraiser Fir. Bought it from Costco, just like last year. No idea of origin. I heard that Fraiser Firs had a possible mold issue this year though I don't usually react to mold. Tree looks mold free too.

ChristinaLucia
12-11-2013, 10:57 PM
We can't have trees inside because of this! Mine never gets better.

KpbS
12-11-2013, 10:57 PM
So sorry! DH is terribly allergic to fresh trees also and we've gone the way of the artificial tree as a result. His didn't settle down after a few days--it seemed to progress to severe congestion, sinus infection, etc. :( I've read that sometimes the White Pine trees are less allergenic.

specialp
12-11-2013, 11:05 PM
It happened to me one year 4 years ago. I was so upset because I have had real trees for years and year - since we were married. I would walk out of the house or run an errand, etc., to make sure it was the tree causing it and it was. My reaction stopped after 3 days and I had no problems after that. I'm guessing it was wet, mildew, mold, whatever and my reaction cleared up once it dried out at bit. It hasn't happened since.

AnnieW625
12-11-2013, 11:13 PM
I would take it back to Costco and ask for a refund. Good luck!

SnuggleBuggles
12-11-2013, 11:26 PM
I would take it back to Costco and ask for a refund. Good luck!

That sounds like torture! It barely fit in my car bound- no way will it fit back now. So heavy too. An hour of stringing lights. Catastrophe with overflowed tree stand finally rectified. Nope, it has to stay. :) I'm going to cross my fingers that it will get better!

Thanks all for the experiences.

ECMom
12-11-2013, 11:54 PM
This tree has been a disaster all around but we have it settled in finally but I can not stop sneezing. Ds1 has watery eyes too. I have always had a real tree and I have never had this reaction. For those who have had this reaction, does it settle down or am I in for 3 weeks of an annoying running nose and sneezing? Definitely not a cold- feel great otherwise. It's the same kind of tree as always, Fraiser Fir. Bought it from Costco, just like last year. No idea of origin. I heard that Fraiser Firs had a possible mold issue this year though I don't usually react to mold. Tree looks mold free too.

I'm having the same issue! Sitting by the tree right now, miserable. No sneezing, but my throat clogs up, runny nose, & itchy eyes. Funny thing is that I don't have allergies otherwise! We've had ours 2 days. I've taken allergra in the morning & I'm fine until about 4:00. Ours isn't from Costco but is a fraser fir.

baileygirl
12-12-2013, 12:46 AM
I am allergic and haven't had one since I was a kid. I think I read somewhere that it is the types of mold that grows on the trees that causes the reaction (once cut down and inside). I have never had a reaction to one that was still planted. If it is a reaction to the tree I wouldn't expect it to get better until the tree is gone.

gatorsmom
12-12-2013, 10:17 AM
We can't have trees inside because of this! Mine never gets better.

:yeahthat: While we were still living in our rental house and our artificial tree was in storage, we bought real pines. The last 2 Christmases were torture because of my reaction to those trees. The reaction was worse for the first week after purchase and settled down after a few weeks. Unfortunately, after we took the tree down and dragged it through the house after Christmas my allergies were terrible again probably due to dust and mold spores being kicked up.

Do you have allergies? If not, this is the age to start developing some. :( And your unusual reaction to the Christmas tree could be an indicator that you are. I'd try taking a daily allergy med like zyrtec, Claritin, etc., and see if that helps at least to get through the holidays.