PDA

View Full Version : 8 Holiday Gifts Your Kid's Teacher Does NOT Want

njk07
12-12-2013, 10:45 AM
I just read this and thought about all those email threads we've had about what to give or not to give the teachers:

http://thestir.cafemom.com/big_kid/165334/8_holiday_gifts_your_kids/111943/candles?slideid=111943

I thought it pretty much agrees with the sentiments of most of the BBB teachers.

AngB
12-12-2013, 10:56 AM
I just read this and thought about all those email threads we've had about what to give or not to give the teachers:

http://thestir.cafemom.com/big_kid/165334/8_holiday_gifts_your_kids/111943/candles?slideid=111943

I thought it pretty much agrees with the sentiments of most of the BBB teachers.

Yeah, no to stuffed animals and things that say "teacher" especially. I disagree with coffee/tea though. I think that's a pretty "safe" gift, MANY teachers drink either or both and even if they don't that's easy enough to give away or leave in the teacher's lounge for the school coffee machine or someone who drinks tea.

Mikey0709
12-12-2013, 11:23 AM
I post this every year... my dad does maintenance at his local district elementary school.

Every year he pulls stuff out of the trash and donates it to goodwill. He has pulled Vera Bradley, Yankee Candle, Thirty one, Lands End, picture frame, TONS Of Bath and Body, and even coffee and tea. Most food gifts they leave in a central area like the teachers lounge and they tell him to help himself. They leave it behind. Last year alone i could count on two hands the homemade mason jar cookie mix, brownie mix, etc. He makes sure unwanted stuff gets donated so it doesn't sit the whole week off. You can tell alot of times they will rip off gift cards and dispose of anything else.

Yes, not everyone does this, but if you could see the amounts of stuff! I stick with CASH or gift cards - still think that's the most appreciated. I think about myself - and personally i don't like vera bradley, HATE smelly products, and have enough mugs. I am a coffee snob, and i only use what i like.

It's the thought that definately counts, but man if you could see the amount of stuff - - it makes you think how much money and effort you put into a teachers gift....

AND WHILE I"M POSTING - - you should see the TRASH BAGS full of Lost and found coats, gloves, sweatshirts, etc at the end of the year! WITH NO NAMES! The school tells him to dispose of it. I must have washed at least 2 loads and donated to goodwill - - - WITH AT LEAST 3 North face coats!!!! I DON"T GET IT?????? I would kill my kid and he'd be checking lost and found everyday????

janine
12-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Hmm, I guess I thought any gift was appreciated? Only giftcards? I'll keep quiet on this one I think....

TwoBees
12-12-2013, 11:36 AM
We've started doing lunch (sandwich tray with sides) for DD's daycare/preschool. She's been there for almost 4 years now, almost since they day they opened, knows all of the teachers, and has had many of them at some point. Bringing in lunch is easier and less expensive than trying to figure out individual gifts for all the different people who have been so wonderful during the past year. We ask them in advance for a good day, and EVERYONE appreciates it. Obviously, this will not work for a larger school (believe it or not, a sandwich tray for 20 people is not much more than it would cost for me to buy, assemble, and distribute small gifts to at least 6 different teachers, not to mention much less hassle).

TwoBees
12-12-2013, 11:38 AM
I disagree with coffee/tea though. I think that's a pretty "safe" gift, MANY teachers drink either or both and even if they don't that's easy enough to give away or leave in the teacher's lounge for the school coffee machine or someone who drinks tea.

I agree with you here. Most coffee shops have foods and beverages other than just coffee and tea, too.

If it is a gift for a "teacher" who travels to you (such as a therapist or tutor), I think gas gift cards are appreciated as well.

arivecchi
12-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Makes all the sense in the world to me and I'm not a teacher. It is hard to buy a meaningful gift for someone you don't know, so yes cash or gc are the safest bet. I also thought the spice box idea that is all the rage here is an odd gift too.

HannaAddict
12-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Hmm, I guess I thought any gift was appreciated? Only giftcards? I'll keep quiet on this one I think....

It's not that it is not appreciated, but that it isn't something they will use or want as more clutter in their house. I don't want anything from bath and body, no monogrammed bags from a store on sale, etc. I wouldn't use it and don't need to store it. I do go to coffee and so a gift card would be used, it is a non-essential so nice that way. But candles, and all sorts of things people on here give - wouldn't be something I would use thought I would certainly think it was sweet of someone to think of me. I'm not a teacher. I do fresh flowers along with gift cards and thank you's.

janine
12-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Our class typically does a group gift, so yes gc or something that is useful. But then the kids will sometimes give individual gifts for fun, these are the times you see things like homemade cookies or a frame the child worked on. I will think twice this year though and maybe just stick with the class gift alone.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-12-2013, 12:04 PM
this is interesting. i guess this is probably true in general but definitely isn't true for all. the candles for example..at first i agreed..i would never buy a candle for a teacher, i thought that was such a useless gift, they must get tons of them. and i can't stand smells so if i got one i'd regift. but last year one of ds' teachers wrote in the "my favorite things binder" under gifts she loves to get was scented candles for her apt!

i like how our school has a binder and teachers can list their favorite things. one teacher said she can't eat candy/chocolate for dietary restrictions. but then the vast majority of the other teachers said they specifically wanted chocolate/candy.

khm
12-12-2013, 12:12 PM

I know plenty of teachers. They do indeed appreciate anything. They do. But, when you have 25+ kids year after year after year....

They probably have been given some brand or type of...... everything. Bag, mug, tumbler, frame, knick-knack. Everything. 25+ parents (moms, lets be honest). A good number of those moms really, honestly want to give something nice and original and loved. Count me in that group! I loathe giving gift cards, want to give something "nice/original/clever", but for teachers, I have come to agree GCs best and honestly probably "more appreciated" than any original idea I could try to come up with. I know I like one type of water bottle, and hate another, etc.

Stuff we don't have a use for (because we have too many or whatever) CAN be a burden, we all know that when we get into our purge phases. Teachers need stuff, but I don't know what that is, so I let them decide with a GC. They know what their room needs and can go get it with student money vs. theirs. Or, they can treat themselves to their favorite coffee, candle, candy or red pens, etc.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that they'd toss perfectly good stuff as PP says vs. donating it or giving to someone themselves. I'm not disbelieving, I just know MY teacher friends do not leave that type of stuff behind, I'm sure a goodly amount of it doesn't end up getting used by them, but it does get used by someone.

I typically do a GC and a small thank you note from myself and/or the kid. I just try to honestly express my appreciation for the hard work they do in a short note. If I know they have a preference for Starbucks or the local coffee shop, I do that. If I don't know, I do Target or an office supply store. If I do give a thing, it is something very small and either consumable or something practical for their class room (new markers if I see they are low), etc.

njk07
12-12-2013, 12:14 PM
this is interesting. i guess this is probably true in general but definitely isn't true for all. the candles for example..at first i agreed..i would never buy a candle for a teacher, i thought that was such a useless gift, they must get tons of them. and i can't stand smells so if i got one i'd regift. but last year one of ds' teachers wrote in the "my favorite things binder" under gifts she loves to get was scented candles for her apt!

i like how our school has a binder and teachers can list their favorite things. one teacher said she can't eat candy/chocolate for dietary restrictions. but then the vast majority of the other teachers said they specifically wanted chocolate/candy.

I like the binder idea. Maybe I'll suggest that to our daycare for next year.

carolinacool
12-12-2013, 12:19 PM
It's not that it is not appreciated, but that it isn't something they will use or want as more clutter in their house. I don't want anything from bath and body, no monogrammed bags from a store on sale, etc. I wouldn't use it and don't need to store it. I do go to coffee and so a gift card would be used, it is a non-essential so nice that way. But candles, and all sorts of things people on here give - wouldn't be something I would use thought I would certainly think it was sweet of someone to think of me. I'm not a teacher. I do fresh flowers along with gift cards and thank you's.

Exactly. My mother is a teacher, and she doesn't use anything on that list. Of course she'll bring it home, but then she'll either regift or donate to Goodwill. I don't want to give a teacher a gift they have no use for, and since I don't know DS' teachers well enough to know individual preferences, I go with GCs.

I also think it's interesting that it seems to be an universal idea that teachers like: Vera Bradley, tote bags, candles, scented lotion/bath stuffs, hot chocolate mixes, soup mixes, frames decorated by kids. Some people (not really at BBB) hate gift cards and call them "impersonal," yet almost always default to something on this list. How is anything here any more personal?

ETA: I can believe that sometimes teachers leave stuff at school. I imagine after a while, you don't want to bring more stuff home during the busy holiday season that you have to store/figure out what to do with. It's just easier to leave it.

KpbS
12-12-2013, 12:29 PM
I like to give chocolate at Christmas--it is well received. :). For Thanksgiving I made chocolate pumpkin muffins and DSs reported this everyone really enjoyed them.

vonfirmath
12-12-2013, 12:32 PM

Our school seems to TRY to do this. But then not follow through. Maybe next year I'll see about spearheading getting it actually done. Because its a lot different if a teacher mentions they like something than just passing it out because you find it on sale.

vonfirmath
12-12-2013, 12:35 PM
ETA: I can believe that sometimes teachers leave stuff at school. I imagine after a while, you don't want to bring more stuff home during the busy holiday season that you have to store/figure out what to do with. It's just easier to leave it.

My mom was a teacher, growing up (Middle school. So didn't quite get so much) And yeah, she didn't bring teh stuff home after the first year. She has enough of her own stuff, papers to grade, etc. to bring home. The school had nice large trash cans. The only things that came home were stuff she wanted to use or regift. (A gift card here or there and I think there was a couple of mugs and a candle. Over many years)

minnie-zb
12-12-2013, 12:45 PM
See, my teacher friends won't eat food kids bring in from home. And while I know teachers said they enjoyed (because what else are they going to say?), I would try and feel out if this is something they really do want and enjoy.

I stick with gift cards -- they can buy what they need for the classroom and not spend their money. I'm always amazed at how many people buy Vera Bradley bags and assume everyone likes Vera.

janine
12-12-2013, 12:46 PM
Ok I see...I think chocolates might be safer, but then I usually put it in a Mongrammed mug! (my eldest is in pre-K so still new to this). Our GC are given by the class (we all contribute $) so this is just for fun, something extra, but I suppose if someone gets 20 mugs it's really a burden!

Mikey0709
12-12-2013, 12:52 PM
I think the binder idea is AWESOME!!!! I think everyone should recommend it to teachers/schools! Or maybe to all the PTO's!

khm
12-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Ok I see...I think chocolates might be safer, but then I usually put it in a Mongrammed mug! (my eldest is in pre-K so still new to this). Our GC are given by the class (we all contribute $) so this is just for fun, something extra, but I suppose if someone gets 20 mugs it's really a burden!

Yeah, I think that's where it gets hairy. :) No one is saying it is bad to give items, but just really think about ALL the other moms doing the same or similar, over many years...... More chocolate with the $ you save on the mug, maybe. ;) My kids are older, so this is something I've just grown to accept over time.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-12-2013, 01:03 PM
yes, the binder idea was pretty great. it was actually done for Teacher Appreciation week (in May?), not for the holidays but i think one for the holidays would be useful too. the binder was called "These are some of my favorite things" and it had a page for each teacher/director inside it with spaces for them to write things like their birthday, favorite sports team, favorite food,favorite color, favorite restaurant, favorite drink, favorite treat/candy, gifts i love to get,etc. While it was a lot of info i just snapped a photo of each page with my phone and so i had it for easy reference when i was out shopping. it is great bc IMO teacher interest really varies, we have a decent age range amongst the teachers so they are typically interested in different things. one of ds' teachers was really young (like 22) and put itunes under GC's id like to get so i got her that. Usually the older teachers had dietary restrictions and put they can't eat candy/treats, but put they liked Vera Bradley, candles, etc.

carolinacool
12-12-2013, 01:08 PM
My school had the teachers post a similar "likes" sheet on their door for either Teacher Appreciation Week or Christmas last year. I thought it was great. I remember there was even a line about "Favorite Bath and Body Works scent," which was super helpful. While my main gift is a gift card, I also throw in a small item like a hand soap or hand sanitizer. This year I think I'm doing those EOS lip balms. I'm not opposed to giving a "thing," but I just make it a small part of the gift. And I thought the hand stuff was good because if they didn't care for the scent, they could use it in the classrooms with the kids.

indigo99
12-12-2013, 01:21 PM
last year one of ds' teachers wrote in the "my favorite things binder" under gifts she loves to get was scented candles for her apt!

DS1's teachers wrote the same thing on their info sheets that are kept in the school binder. I have a jar candle that I received as a gift probably ten years ago and haven't used up yet. I just don't like/use them. I guess if you're giving a gift like that anyway, many would rather have something that can be used up (like candles). We're doing class gift cards in sons' classes. In one class, I organized it. In the other, I voiced my opinion early on to steer things in that direction. They're still insisting on getting some sort of holiday flower arrangement in addition to the gift cards though *sigh*.

eta: I was a little shocked to see that the info sheets that they asked the teachers to fill out included a line asking for their clothing sizes. I would not ask someone to share that with everyone b/c I think it could make some uncomfortable.

crl
12-12-2013, 01:26 PM
Ds' school does a preference sheet for teachers. I am room mom and per his teacher's request we made a donation to the local food pantry. She seemed very pleased! In the absence of that kind of direction, I go for a GC, preferably one with some flexibility on what it can be spent on (ie, Target or the like). I am sure teachers appreciate the sentiment of any gift, but no one needs that much stuff. Ds has thirty kids in his class; his teacher has taught for seventeen years. No way does she need another tote or candle or mug. And donating that stuff must just be a burden during a time of year that is already busy.

Catherine

JCat
12-12-2013, 01:32 PM
My son's preschool paperwork had a form to sign saying we weren't allowed to give gifts to the teacher or staff. Of course a lot of people ignore it anyways!

wendibird22
12-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Here's where I'm torn on this. I like my children to be part of picking out the gift for their teacher. There's something sweet, and innocent, and loving, and special about the mug, frame, ornament, craft hand picked by the child because they think their teacher will love it to. And yes, most likely teacher won't have a need/use for it but it came from the child's heart. DH is a teacher and I love seeing what he comes home with. Most of it is recycled, donated, or thrown away but we do spend time looking at his loot, sometimes giggling, sometimes sawing "aw" about the sentiment. I totally get wanting to give them something useful like a GC, but IMO that misses some of the magic of the holiday. This year my girls are giving their teachers EOS sets because they are addicted to chapstick and think everyone should be too. The note with the gifts will acknowledge that. If they chose to throw them out of give them away, so be it. My 1st grader will be buying gifts for us today at the PTA's Santa Shop. She has $10 of her own money to spend on me, DH, and DD2. Last year I got a plastic ring and a kitty pin. I don't wear them, don't need them, don't even like them, but I cherish them because my daughter hand picked them just for me. That's how I feel about teacher gifts.

SnuggleBuggles
12-12-2013, 01:46 PM
I like the binder idea. Maybe I'll suggest that to our daycare for next year.

I started an online Google Form (a Drive feature) to track teachers' preferences. I email them the link at the start of the year, they fill out a simple questionnaire and Google Drive puts it into a spreadsheet for me. Love it!!!

Corie
12-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Last year alone i could count on two hands the homemade mason jar cookie mix, brownie mix, etc.

I am NOT a big fan of these homemade mason jar mixes!! Honestly, I really cannot stand them!

♥ms.pacman♥
12-12-2013, 01:55 PM
eta: I was a little shocked to see that the info sheets that they asked the teachers to fill out included a line asking for their clothing sizes. I would not ask someone to share that with everyone b/c I think it could make some uncomfortable.
What?! Wow, that is awful, totally crosses the line!!! I would hate that too. And I can't imagine buying clothes for another person, except for children...clothing styles i feel are just so personal. That is really weird.

crl
12-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Here's where I'm torn on this. I like my children to be part of picking out the gift for their teacher. There's something sweet, and innocent, and loving, and special about the mug, frame, ornament, craft hand picked by the child because they think their teacher will love it to. And yes, most likely teacher won't have a need/use for it but it came from the child's heart. DH is a teacher and I love seeing what he comes home with. Most of it is recycled, donated, or thrown away but we do spend time looking at his loot, sometimes giggling, sometimes sawing "aw" about the sentiment. I totally get wanting to give them something useful like a GC, but IMO that misses some of the magic of the holiday. This year my girls are giving their teachers EOS sets because they are addicted to chapstick and think everyone should be too. The note with the gifts will acknowledge that. If they chose to throw them out of give them away, so be it. My 1st grader will be buying gifts for us today at the PTA's Santa Shop. She has $10 of her own money to spend on me, DH, and DD2. Last year I got a plastic ring and a kitty pin. I don't wear them, don't need them, don't even like them, but I cherish them because my daughter hand picked them just for me. That's how I feel about teacher gifts.

I guess I feel like that desire to give something personal can be accomplished with a piece of artwork or a handwritten note. Much easier for a teacher to store if he or she wants to keep those kinds of things. Also easy to recycle if not. I also really don't think my ds' teachers feel the same way about him as I do. I am sure they like him just fine and they care about their students, but it is one thing to have a few useless but sentimental things from your own kids, another entirely to have them from thirty students every year.

Catherine

AnnieW625
12-12-2013, 02:04 PM
We give the teacher cash or a gift card.

I guess I feel like that desire to give something personal can be accomplished with a piece of artwork or a handwritten note. Much easier for a teacher to store if he or she wants to keep those kinds of things. Also easy to recycle if not. I also really don't think my ds' teachers feel the same way about him as I do. I am sure they like him just fine and they care about their students, but it is one thing to have a few useless but sentimental things from your own kids, another entirely to have them from thirty students every year.

Catherine

I feel the exact same way. I don't think I ever gave a teacher anything more than a Christmas card even in high school. In my jr. year English class we had a home made cookie exchange during Christmas, but that was really the only time I remember doing anything more than a card.

wellyes
12-12-2013, 02:10 PM
I think the gesture of a gift is always appreciated, but, realistically, not all gifts are going to be used. Most are given away or thrown away or regifted. My Aunt taught kindy and gave away so many chocolates and mugs and lotions and little bags after every holiday. And sometimes framed photos of a student, who'd give THAT?

Given that the gesture is apprecaited but the object may end up as clutter, it makes sense to give a teacher a handmade kid gift (nice but disposable) and/or a gift card (infinitely regiftable).

I asked my kindy teacher by email what she wanted, and she said "You don't have to buy anything. Anything is appreciated. I buy school supplies through ______ and I'd love a gift certificate to shop there for the class!" I thought that was a great answer.

I agree with the PPs who say this is muddied because un-wanted gifts are always going to get a warm thank you anyway, unless the teacher has no manners at all, so it may seem more appreciated than it is.

123LuckyMom
12-12-2013, 02:16 PM
I give gift cards and envirosax. The real gift, though, is the thank you note. I spend a good amount of time writing to the individual teachers about how they have helped DS; how I have seen him blossom under their care; and what an extraordinary gift it is to parents like me that they have chosen to use their talents to nurture my child. The cards are always heartfelt and true and mention specifics about their relationship with DS and with me. I still have teachers from three years ago thanking me for those cards. The director of the school also called me at home to thank me. She said the teachers were incredibly touched and grateful for the cards-- not the gift cards, the thank you cards.

I think what teachers need most is affirmation and respect. They get so very little of it! Most teachers just want to know that their hard work is noticed and appreciated. Money is always helpful, so I do give that, but thanks is what nourishes the heart. This year, DS will be writing his own thank you cards in addition to mine, and those will be his way of offering something personal. I think it's a good lesson, too, to teach that it's words and actions, not stuff, that convey appreciation and love.

specialp
12-12-2013, 02:19 PM

Catherine

Exactly. When I was very little, I remember my mom (standing beside at drop off) telling me to ask the teacher her favorite color and that was the color construction paper & glitter we used to make her Christmas card. I was so proud to give her my card and tell her I had made it her favorite color. When I was older, I remember drawing a beach scene on my card and having my sister help me with a palm tree (and said sister telling me beaches weren’t Christmasy) because my teacher was from Florida and had sea shells and beach things all on her desk. Even older, and I would mention a fun project I really enjoyed in class. (I actually had a 7 year old child write he had fun doing making an ornament which we did in my class and it was very sweet to me.) I think kids can personalize cards in their own small way and in a way that an adult appreciates.

squimp
12-12-2013, 02:54 PM
I did the math back when DD was in preschool - 20 kids times $10 = $200 for the teacher. 20 kids times 10 mugs or tchotchkes = a bunch of stuff to put on a shelf. Now that we are in older elementary the room gifts seem to be less common, so we do a gift card and a handwritten note from my DD. I think the note allows the kid to have some input and be involved, and that is enough.

Indianamom2
12-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Well, DD goes to a smallish Christian school. I grew up in the same sort of school and my mom is still a teacher in that school. They make FAR less than the average public school teacher. They also deal with less, so it's a trade-off and choice. Still, most teachers there see this as a form of mission/service. I appreciate them and the investment they make in my kids. I have seen first-hand (through my mom) how hard she works in and out of school.

As a result, I have no problem giving these teachers a gift card. They truly can use them and appreciate the gift. I know that the mugs and stuff are thoughtful, but over the years they really, um, collect. I can also understand not wanting to eat homemade food, especially in a public school setting. We always got lots of goodies and it saved my mom some time having to bake so much over Christmas. But if I give something, I try to do something store-bought so that ingredients are listed and so that they can feel comfortable eating (or donating).

This year, DD's teacher is a mom to a one year old, HER mom is in the hospital with very serious cancer and her husband works the nightshift. I know that the best gift for her would be something practical like a restaurant gift card or a card to Target. I am getting Ds's preschool teachers a tin of Starbucks hot chocolate ($5 at Walmart) and a probably a non-teacher Christmas ornament or something else small (he only goes a few hours a week).

JustMe
12-12-2013, 03:13 PM
I had both of my kids ask their teachers what their favorite restaurant was (of course, still waiting for ds to remember all of the steps involved in this. he says the answer is written down in his locker), and plan to buy them giftcards to their restaurant of choice. The kids had a small part in it, although not as fun as picking out a gift--but I want the teacher to actually want what we get them too.

lkoala
12-12-2013, 03:31 PM
I think what teachers need most is affirmation and respect. I think it's a good lesson, too, to teach that it's words and actions, not stuff, that convey appreciation and love.

Gosh, I think anyone would love a thank you note. We all need affirmation in our lives. This is a great idea and I am going to do that this year. Thank you.

Tenasparkl
12-12-2013, 03:45 PM
My 1st grader will be buying gifts for us today at the PTA's Santa Shop. She has $10 of her own money to spend on me, DH, and DD2. Last year I got a plastic ring and a kitty pin. I don't wear them, don't need them, don't even like them, but I cherish them because my daughter hand picked them just for me. That's how I feel about teacher gifts.

Our school does something like this too. The parents in each class are responsible for making crafts and the kids all shop at the "holiday boutique" with a list and a few dollars for their family, friends, teachers. My DD was so excited to pick out things for everyone and the few that she already gave out were very well received.

KpbS
12-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Our teacher forms are distributed through the PTA and then given to the room moms who are assigned to by the group gifts (Christmas and her birthday). They list favorite restaurants, clothing/department stores, colors, anything the teacher collects, classroom wishes, and preferences for party food, eg. no messy cupcakes. It works great!

AngB
12-12-2013, 04:44 PM
I had both of my kids ask their teachers what their favorite restaurant was (of course, still waiting for ds to remember all of the steps involved in this. he says the answer is written down in his locker),

LOL! Your DS cracks me up!

fedoragirl
12-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Former middle/high school teacher here and echoing most of PP's sentiments about teacher gift cards. I didn't get much once I started teaching the higher grades but I hated the hot chocolate mixes etc. because I am very picky about this food item. I used to get $5 GC for Starbucks and they were MORE than enough and very much appreciated as I did not splurge on Starbucks and enjoyed an occasional frappe or so. Very thoughtful. You don't have to spend much on a GC for a teacher.
Those Vera Bradley totes and wristlets...are part of DD's dress-up box. I hate VB and wouldn't have used it.
I left most of the other stuff at school and our janitor would take it. I was ok with that. I was already carting home papers and lesson plans etc., I did not need to be taking 20 other items that wouldn't be used. All those cards? I still have them stored somewhere but I am not throwing those out. Beautiful memories.
We are doing Amazon gift cards for our preschool teachers because we know they shop online. Another suggestion was to buy something for the class (like a new game/puzzle) which could be enjoyed by everyone in the teacher's class. I like this idea too.

HannaAddict
12-12-2013, 04:59 PM
I guess I don't think mix in a mason jar or even things kids pick out is that personal. We have a teacher appreciation fund and representatives that get a group item, and teachers do fill out a form to guide that and a GC to someplace is the norm. For individual gifts, I figure they don't make a lot and I have had a job where I didn't make a ton and a GC to a coffee place or great restaurant or the cool upscale mall in town would be very much appreciated! The personal side comes from the thank you note or letter or drawing from my child. It is usually more expensive to do a GC as I have an amount I wouldn't go below, versus stuff from a crazy sale or bath products. When I've given flowers to go along with the gift cards, they aren't pre-made FTD style arrangements, but cut flowers from the florist, something I would like or that my child helps pick out and can go in a vase. We are lucky to have a neat flower market that wraps them and they look neat. It adds up though I know. For our OT, she drives all day and is in her car a ton, so I did a GC to the full service inside and outside while you wait car wash. It is a small luxury and something she wouldn't necessarily buy herself as a single mom. So even though a GC, thought can go into it and it isn't necessarily impersonal.

TwinFoxes
12-12-2013, 05:31 PM
This thread is entertaining. I contributed to the class $$ gift, and I bought each teacher Penzey's spice boxes…but I know both of the teachers cook! (and Arrivechi, I bought an extra spice box, send me your address. :) ) If they don't like them, they'd be great for re-gifting. My feelings would not be hurt at all if they re-gifted them. Throwing them away would make me sad, just because that seems wasteful.

I love the binder idea. But asking for clothing sizes is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard…just really unbelievably goofy.

Of the gifts on that list, I pretty much wouldn't want any of them either. Who gets a grown up a stuffed animal? I hate most scented candles (and all of you who think that everyone loves vanilla, think again, it makes me want to heave, so overpowering!) And mason jar mixes, there's no way I'd use. I'm not a germaphobe, but for some reason those gross me out.

KrisM
12-12-2013, 05:53 PM
We are doing Amazon gift cards for our preschool teachers because we know they shop online. Another suggestion was to buy something for the class (like a new game/puzzle) which could be enjoyed by everyone in the teacher's class. I like this idea too.

DD has a brand new teacher this year. She did student teaching last spring and was hired for 2nd grade 8 days before school started. So, we are doing a group gift of games, craft supplies, books to help get her room stocked more than it is. I thought that was a good idea (not mine).

DS1's teacher asked that we not give her gifts and instead donate toys to a group that she works with that helps get gifts to kids. Works for me and we donated a bag of stuff.

DS2's teacher is getting a gift card.

They'll all get notes from my kids.

swissair81
12-12-2013, 05:54 PM

My father gets close to 20 fruit baskets or fruit related gifts every holiday season from patients and their families. He HATES fruit. The rest of us eat it and he graciously says thank you. We especially wait for the person who sends him Harry and David pears every year without fail. Likewise, when he gets food that is not kosher, he brings it to his office for the other doctors and never says a single word. He gets hundreds of gifts and cards every year.

hellokitty
12-12-2013, 07:48 PM
I I understand what it's like to get an overload of food/craft type of gifts. Like pp, my dad was a doctor and got soooo much of that stuff. Most doctors give the food gifts to staff or regift it. I would imagine that teachers do the same thing. We don't do group gifts at our school, but the teachers all have a wish list of books when they do the annual book fair in November during parent and teacher conferences and that's when I buy books from their wish list as their gifts. I'm sure they get more than enough of the food, mug, lotion, bath, accessories, that something practical and useful would be nice.

IansMom
12-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Of the gifts on that list, I pretty much wouldn't want any of them either. Who gets a grown up a stuffed animal? I hate most scented candles (and all of you who think that everyone loves vanilla, think again, it makes me want to heave, so overpowering!) And mason jar mixes, there's no way I'd use. I'm not a germaphobe, but for some reason those gross me out.

:yeahthat: I also dislike vanilla-scented stuff. The smell makes me nauseous. I agree about the mason jar mixes, too.

MommyofAmaya
12-12-2013, 09:06 PM
This year my girls are giving their teachers EOS sets because they are addicted to chapstick and think everyone should be too.

Where did you find these? Costco or is it something different. I would love to pick up some for our specialist teachers. My kids are addicted too.

khm
12-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Where did you find these? Costco or is it something different. I would love to pick up some for our specialist teachers. My kids are addicted too.

We have them at Target, Walgreens, the grocery store..... I haven't seen them at Costco though.

maybeebaby08
12-12-2013, 09:15 PM
I think even if you only have $5, a gc to Starbucks or Dunkin, is better then a mug. That's a coffee or bagel when they're running late one day or just need a pick me up. That's the approach I've taken after reading threads here. I've organized the class gifts the past few years, and always do a gift card as well as have the children make a coordinated thank you card type gift. It's personal but useful too.

I gave DD1's teachers A Favorite Things form this year and it's very helpful. It's been easy to plan the gifts and also when I'm out and find a deal on something I can pick it up.

MommyofAmaya
12-12-2013, 09:22 PM
We have them at Target, Walgreens, the grocery store..... I haven't seen them at Costco though.

I've bought them in singles in all of those places, but only seen them in "sets" or more precisely a multi-pack at Costco. Do they have them in gift sets at those stores? Thanks.

khm
12-12-2013, 09:39 PM
I've bought them in singles in all of those places, but only seen them in "sets" or more precisely a multi-pack at Costco. Do they have them in gift sets at those stores? Thanks.

Not that I've noticed, but I haven't looked, honestly. :) I've only ever bought singles. I loved the mint but it did a number on my lips, so I stopped buying them.

mikala
12-12-2013, 10:07 PM

Our target had a multi pack recently. I don't remember details because I didn't buy it but I think there were three tubs? I think Costco had a pack earlier in the fall but haven't seen it recently.

PZMommy
12-12-2013, 11:09 PM
As a teacher, I have been given all of those as gifts before. On the last day there are always tons of gifts left in the teacher lounge for anyone to take. I assume what isn't taken gets donated or tossed. I much rather get a $5 gift card to Starbucks, or to anyplace for that matter, vs something I'm not going to use. I appreciate the thought that goes into gifts, but I can't use 25 bottles of lotions and candles. Due to allergies, I can't use any of them!

Globetrotter
12-12-2013, 11:30 PM
We usually give a gc attached to a small bag of premium chocolates or some such thing. I have the kids do some research to figure out their favorite store, and I find most teachers they've had give hints or talk about their favorite things, thank goodness!! If I don't have better information, I usually resort to Target because that's practical for anyone, even though it's boring.

If I get to know the teacher well or notice she is into something in particular, I might get something unusual. For ex., the art teacher wears a lot of folksy ethnic jewelry, and she went crazy for silver enamelwork earrings from India, something that is hard to find here. I tend to give her jewelry to her because her style is similar to mine. One time dd picked out a nice scarf for her (with a gift receipt) because she noticed she wears them a lot. The math teacher dresses up in math paraphernalia so we found pi earrings on etsy.

That said, I still prefer to give GCs! I do disagree about coffee and tea. I think that one is fine if you KNOW they drink it and know their taste since it's a consumable item. I think the overall problem is that a lot of these things are meant for specific tastes so it's okay if you KNOW they will like it, but we usually don't know. I never use candles so I tend to donate them. I'm also picky about anything scented so that's not a good bet for ME.

One time the teacher requested donations to a family in need, and that was well received.

ETA: I always have the kids write thank you notes for teacher appreciation and/or end of year, and sometimes I also write something. I think those are the most appreciated.

queenmama
12-12-2013, 11:36 PM
See, I don't even think a wish list/binder would be helpful. If he/she says he/she likes ___, what's to prevent him/her from receiving a dozen of the same item?

Money or GC and a heartfelt note. Bam. Easy, thoughtful, and not wasteful.

Lara

larig
12-12-2013, 11:38 PM
I started an online Google Form (a Drive feature) to track teachers' preferences. I email them the link at the start of the year, they fill out a simple questionnaire and Google Drive puts it into a spreadsheet for me. Love it!!!

Everyone should know about and use google forms. THis is an outstanding use for it too!

larig
12-12-2013, 11:42 PM
I give gift cards and envirosax. The real gift, though, is the thank you note. I spend a good amount of time writing to the individual teachers about how they have helped DS; how I have seen him blossom under their care; and what an extraordinary gift it is to parents like me that they have chosen to use their talents to nurture my child. The cards are always heartfelt and true and mention specifics about their relationship with DS and with me. I still have teachers from three years ago thanking me for those cards. The director of the school also called me at home to thank me. She said the teachers were incredibly touched and grateful for the cards-- not the gift cards, the thank you cards.

I think what teachers need most is affirmation and respect. They get so very little of it! Most teachers just want to know that their hard work is noticed and appreciated. Money is always helpful, so I do give that, but thanks is what nourishes the heart. This year, DS will be writing his own thank you cards in addition to mine, and those will be his way of offering something personal. I think it's a good lesson, too, to teach that it's words and actions, not stuff, that convey appreciation and love.

Well said. I taught for ten years, and you just nailed it. I still have the kind notes I have gotten from students and parents over the years. I treasure them.

larig
12-12-2013, 11:52 PM
This thread is entertaining. I contributed to the class $$ gift, and I bought each teacher Penzey's spice boxes…but I know both of the teachers cook! (and Arrivechi, I bought an extra spice box, send me your address. :) ) If they don't like them, they'd be great for re-gifting. My feelings would not be hurt at all if they re-gifted them. Throwing them away would make me sad, just because that seems wasteful.

I love the binder idea. But asking for clothing sizes is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard…just really unbelievably goofy.

:hysterical: This is hilarious. I'm a vanilla person, but I think that's because I'm anti-floral scents. I like things that smell like cookies baking--clearly, I need to re-think my relationship with vanilla.

California
12-13-2013, 03:01 AM
Articles like that rub me the wrong way a bit, and I think I figured out that its because I taught mainly students from low income families. They were so proud when they brought in a gift! Those were gifts given from the heart. There are so many low income families in California who are struggling. Our local food pantry ran out of food, the demand has outpaced supply. When a kid, despite his/her struggles, brings in a cheap box of candy or a cheap candle or a stuffed animal that they think is fabulous you know that gift is filled with love. On the BBB, we're not walking that road in life- we're got electronics and a connection to the internet and time to have these discussions. I think we need to be careful when we judge gifts to think that not every kid or every family has the time, transportation or money that we do. That stuffed animal may be the only thing the kid could grab on the way to school. I hate to think of them stumbling across an article like that and thinking that the gift they were so proud of may not have been appreciated by the teacher.

blisstwins
12-13-2013, 04:03 AM
Articles like that rub me the wrong way a bit, and I think I figured out that its because I taught mainly students from low income families. They were so proud when they brought in a gift! Those were gifts given from the heart. There are so many low income families in California who are struggling. Our local food pantry ran out of food, the demand has outpaced supply. When a kid, despite his/her struggles, brings in a cheap box of candy or a cheap candle or a stuffed animal that they think is fabulous you know that gift is filled with love. On the BBB, we're not walking that road in life- we're got electronics and a connection to the internet and time to have these discussions. I think we need to be careful when we judge gifts to think that not every kid or every family has the time, transportation or money that we do. That stuffed animal may be the only thing the kid could grab on the way to school. I hate to think of them stumbling across an article like that and thinking that the gift they were so proud of may not have been appreciated by the teacher.

I am a teacher and I feel just as you do.

fedoragirl
12-13-2013, 06:32 AM

I appreciate your sentiment but not everyone on the BBB attends or teaches at a low-income school. Everyone here insists that all teachers appreciate any or no gifts--it's just not something one would use. There is nothing wrong in having such a discussion and the internet is a vast trove of unwelcome information so someone someday might find out something unpleasant.

Snow mom
12-13-2013, 08:02 AM

My mom teaches at a school like this in CA. I think the saving grace is she gets less stuff (but it still seems overwhelming at times). Unlike a high income school there isn't this competition to find the perfect, most creative gift. She probably receives gifts from less than 1/4 of her students so rather than 30 items that she doesn't need she gets 5. But I personally can't put another mug in my cupboards (seriously, every one we have has a spot) and I wouldn't use one of most things that people gift so I understand not needing more. I've tried (and I admit sometimes haven't succeeded) to do a gift card or cash. This year I'm doing one of the spice boxes because I know enough about DDs teacher to be 95% confident she'll enjoy it. She strikes me more as a small business type and health conscious so I was blanking on gift cards. Thanks to this thread I think I'll get her a gas card for end of year. She commutes a long distance and I know she does it out of love for the kids and teaching.

TwinFoxes
12-13-2013, 08:45 AM

I can understand why you feel this way. Keep in mind it's not an article about a scientific study of things teachers hate. It's a silly blog post. If it were aimed at low income kids and parents, I think BBBers would be appalled. But I think the post was light-hearted, and aimed at parents like us. There's a difference between not wanting, and not appreciating. My MIL has given me awful jewelry, and I am still very appreciative even though I don't want it and will eventually Goodwill it.

MamaMolly
12-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Ds' school does a preference sheet for teachers. I am room mom and per his teacher's request we made a donation to the local food pantry. She seemed very pleased! In the absence of that kind of direction, I go for a GC, preferably one with some flexibility on what it can be spent on (ie, Target or the like). I am sure teachers appreciate the sentiment of any gift, but no one needs that much stuff. Ds has thirty kids in his class; his teacher has taught for seventeen years. No way does she need another tote or candle or mug. And donating that stuff must just be a burden during a time of year that is already busy.

Catherine

I love that your teacher asked for this!!

crl
12-13-2013, 10:42 AM
I love that your teacher asked for this!!

I do too! She listed three local charities and I chose the food bank because the school had just finished a food drive for it so I thought it was a nice connection for the kids. And she really seemed so pleased that we had done it.

Catherine

BunnyBee
12-13-2013, 10:52 AM

I bought a 3 pack in an "ornament" (vague silver orb) package at Target. They were hanging near the other chapsticks in the pharmacy area.
http://evolutionofsmooth.com/smooth-sphere-three-pack-lip-balm-collection.html

lhafer
12-13-2013, 11:10 AM
My daughter's teacher is getting a gift card to chick fil a because she listed that as one of her favorite fast food places, and a nice letter written to her by my daughter. She's in second grade and learning how to read/write has been SUCH a struggle. She has come a really long way already this year, and I think her teacher would appreciate seeing how far she's come - because her teacher had a BIG hand in that!!

vonfirmath
12-13-2013, 11:22 AM
I appreciate your sentiment but not everyone on the BBB attends or teaches at a low-income school. Everyone here insists that all teachers appreciate any or no gifts--it's just not something one would use. There is nothing wrong in having such a discussion and the internet is a vast trove of unwelcome information so someone someday might find out something unpleasant.

I REALLY appreciate these conversations. I'd rather not waste my money on something that isn't going to be appreciated. $20 is a lot of money to be thrown away at school. Even if it was appreciated by the teacher first. And note: The most appreciated gift costs NOTHING at all so even low income people can do it. A heartfelt note addressing how this teacher has blessed the family specifically.

Wouldn't it be freeing for a family struggling with money, no matter what income bracket they are in, to know that the BEST gift costs nothing at all? That the others may look impressive and all, but that doesn't mean the teacher really cares, or is going to look down on THEIR child because they didn't get her anything?!

Globetrotter
12-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Wouldn't it be freeing for a family struggling with money, no matter what income bracket they are in, to know that the BEST gift costs nothing at all? That the others may look impressive and all, but that doesn't mean the teacher really cares, or is going to look down on THEIR child because they didn't get her anything?!

:yeahthat: I think we need to have a viral blog post highlighting this, written by a teacher! Any takers? :)

I write thank you notes to the teachers on good years (kids always do) because a good teacher can make all the difference and sometimes I'm sure they feel unappreciated. I'm particular about teacher's gifts because we can afford to be, and this article is targeted to people like us, but I tend to be practical because I figure they are relatively underpaid and could probably use the extra gc money. Whereas, I don't know if I've ever given anything to my doctors and would probably just give a heartfelt note in that case.

MamaMolly
12-13-2013, 04:59 PM
I REALLY appreciate these conversations. I'd rather not waste my money on something that isn't going to be appreciated. $20 is a lot of money to be thrown away at school. Even if it was appreciated by the teacher first. And note: The most appreciated gift costs NOTHING at all so even low income people can do it. A heartfelt note addressing how this teacher has blessed the family specifically.

Yes!!!!!! Well said. :)

Rainbows&Roses
12-13-2013, 05:12 PM
I was a high school teacher so didn't get a lot of gifts, but any homemade food I did get went in the trash (and I would be sure to mention how tasty it was too!)

scrooks
12-13-2013, 05:34 PM
I totally get where everyone is coming from regarding gift cards being the most useful gift. I just wish this thread happened about a month ago seeing as all our teachers are getting Vera Bradley lunch bags :bag Which are apparently a crappy gift. I guess the only thing that bugs me is that people would toss useful gifts. I get tossing homemade food....there is no way I would eat it either but other stuff can certainly be regifted or donated.....not just trashed!!! It seems so wasteful. I guess if I was a teacher I would 1. Expect to get a bunch of gifts (useful or not) 2. Plan on bringing in a box or something that I could toss them all in ...take them home and deal with them after the holidays.

Fwiw our room mom got our teacher to fill out a survey or her favorite things and distributed it to the class. I had already gotten the lunch bags but at least one of them matches up with her favorite color. I plan on keeping the list in case either ds has the same teacher for k.

TwinFoxes
12-13-2013, 06:09 PM
I just wish this thread happened about a month ago seeing as all our teachers are getting Vera Bradley lunch bags :bag Which are apparently a crappy gift.

Don't let it bother you. Seriously, some people love Vera Bradley, just tell yourself these teachers are those people. :)

♥ms.pacman♥
12-13-2013, 06:41 PM
I totally get where everyone is coming from regarding gift cards being the most useful gift. I just wish this thread happened about a month ago seeing as all our teachers are getting Vera Bradley lunch bags :bag Which are apparently a crappy gift. I guess the only thing that bugs me is that people would toss useful gifts. I get tossing homemade food....there is no way I would eat it either but other stuff can certainly be regifted or donated.....not just trashed!!! It seems so wasteful. I guess if I was a teacher I would 1. Expect to get a bunch of gifts (useful or not) 2. Plan on bringing in a box or something that I could toss them all in ...take them home and deal with them after the holidays.

Fwiw our room mom got our teacher to fill out a survey or her favorite things and distributed it to the class. I had already gotten the lunch bags but at least one of them matches up with her favorite color. I plan on keeping the list in case either ds has the same teacher for k.

Don't feel bad!!! I am giving 5 teachers Vera Bradley lunch bags this year, thanks to the crazy sale. I don't regret it....I KNOW at least 2 of these teachers like VB, as they mentioned it in the "favorite things" binder earlier in the year for teacher appreciation. And i figure, if they aren't crazy about the pattern they can easily exchange it in the store. Or if they don't like it at all they could easily regift it to a niece or another teacher friend. I am in the South and VB is super popular here (esp amongst the teachers), so even if VB is not their style or whatever at least they know its decently valuable to give to someone else as a gift.

I think if you know the teacher decently enough you are the best judge of what would make a good gift. you can't always go by what you or another teacher friend would necessarily appreciate. And i agree, I personally think it is incredibly wasteful to throw some of the things mentioned in the trash. I can see tossing food but I don't get why you would toss things like $$ candles, Bath & Body works baskets in the trash. I hate bath gifts ( can't stand artificial scents, i get headaches) but seriously, how hard is it to donate these things to Goodwill or just regift.

crl
12-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Probably doesn't apply to most teachers, but on the question about leaving things behind or throwing them away, ds attended school in San Francisco for many years and several of his teachers commuted by bus. So taking gifts home was a logistical challenge for them.

Catherine

specialp
12-13-2013, 07:29 PM
I agree it is wasteful, but I’m not going to knock people. I don’t know their schedules. I don’t know how easy or difficult it is to go drop something off at a donation box, if there is one on their way or if they would have to make a special trip, or if they are leaving town and just doing good to remember to pick up their kids at daycare and bring the papers they need to grade much less remember a box of goods they need to deal with after the holidays. I’m going to guess if someone has been a teacher for any appreciable amount of time, they have already regifted candles, lotions, mugs, etc. to a point they really can’t anymore. I assume teachers are people like the rest of us and just like the rest of us, are doing good just to make it through the holidays! I am sure some of them leave the stuff hoping another staff member will need or want it and then it ends up in the trash.

elbenn
12-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Don't let it bother you. Seriously, some people love Vera Bradley, just tell yourself these teachers are those people. :)

Yes, and also, I bet the teachers will appreciate that you gave them anything. I think that if a gift is not to someone's taste, most people would donate or re-gift, and wouldn't throw them away.

mushka
12-13-2013, 08:23 PM
I must be totally out of the loop. I had no idea gifts were expected. I work so much, I've met my DD's teacher once. I don't even know how many teachers she has. My husband takes her to school and he is just as clueless.

carolinacool
12-13-2013, 08:26 PM
I agree it is wasteful, but I’m not going to knock people. I don’t know their schedules. I don’t know how easy or difficult it is to go drop something off at a donation box, if there is one on their way or if they would have to make a special trip, or if they are leaving town and just doing good to remember to pick up their kids at daycare and bring the papers they need to grade much less remember a box of goods they need to deal with after the holidays. I’m going to guess if someone has been a teacher for any appreciable amount of time, they have already regifted candles, lotions, mugs, etc. to a point they really can’t anymore. I assume teachers are people like the rest of us and just like the rest of us, are doing good just to make it through the holidays! I am sure some of them leave the stuff hoping another staff member will need or want it and then it ends up in the trash.

I agree. I think you can only regift for so many years. And I know for me, going to Goodwill or Salvation Army would have to be a special trip. I had a bag of jeans that had been sitting in my bedroom for four months until I finally dropped them off at Goodwill last weekend. Once again, I totally understand not wanting to add to clutter in your own home or car, especially this time of year.

dogmom
12-13-2013, 10:27 PM
One thing I wonder, and I don't think it was touched on by any previous posters, is why do we give teachers gifts? I am not asking if they deserve it, etc, but why do people do it. Because it's convention? Because we are grateful? (Although I see parents complain bitterly about a teacher still pitching in for gifts.) Because if you don't you someone will think less of you? Because you are someone who loves giving gifts? I am curious, because I am a member of a "caring" profession, and people occasionally give us gifts, but it is certainly not a standard convention or expected. Just ISO.

crl
12-13-2013, 10:34 PM
One thing I wonder, and I don't think it was touched on by any previous posters, is why do we give teachers gifts? I am not asking if they deserve it, etc, but why do people do it. Because it's convention? Because we are grateful? (Although I see parents complain bitterly about a teacher still pitching in for gifts.) Because if you don't you someone will think less of you? Because you are someone who loves giving gifts? I am curious, because I am a member of a "caring" profession, and people occasionally give us gifts, but it is certainly not a standard convention or expected. Just ISO.

I do it because it is convention. Just like I tip hairdresses because it is convention. (And the one year I hated ds' teachers I refused to participate in the group gift and gave a book to the classroom instead because I felt like it satisfied the convention without having to gave something to those horrid teachers.)

Catherine

SnuggleBuggles
12-13-2013, 10:43 PM
I must be totally out of the loop. I had no idea gifts were expected. I work so much, I've met my DD's teacher once. I don't even know how many teachers she has. My husband takes her to school and he is just as clueless.

I'm assuming there has been an open house? Possibly some blog, website, emails, communication...? Any tip off on figuring out who your dd is with every day?

Re. gifts, it's one of those things I didn't know about either. You just pick it up as you go along. :) Now you know. Whether you do something and what you do is totally up to you.

larig
12-13-2013, 11:04 PM

I give gifts because I appreciate the care and love that my child's teachers and aids show him and my family. I appreciate that I know he is happy and safe and growing. And, I know that the work of these people (DS is in an Autism self-contained class) is physically exhausting. I give gifts to them to let them know that I celebrate them and the work they do.

When my parents began teaching in the early 60s they were not allowed to accept gifts. It might have suggested that someone was trying to buy a grade.

I think the difference between nursing and teaching is likely that the teacher-student relationship is every day, whereas the patient may only see the nurse on annual office visits or while in the hospital under their care, etc.

123LuckyMom
12-13-2013, 11:04 PM

Check in with the parents of your daughter's school friends to find out the habits of your area. Gift giving can vary wildly! When I was a child I remember my parents giving the teachers lavish gifts from travels overseas-- Liberty of London, Burberry, Hermes. I have a friend in my town now who has moved here from Long Island where the gifts were similarly lavish, but here, gifts of that kind of value would be highly inappropriate! Our state has a legal limit of a $50 value, but parents here typically give about half that. You should find out the customs in your area.

lmh2402
12-13-2013, 11:08 PM

DS is only in Pre-K, so I've only had three years of "school" so far - but I have given to the preschool teachers and current pre-k teacher because they have been amazing influences, and advocates, and friends to DS, and therefore to me. We have been so lucky and I want them to feel appreciated.

For the record, the only time I've been in the hospital (for births), I brought "goodies" for the nurses b/c i wanted them to feel appreciated too!

marymoo86
12-13-2013, 11:12 PM
Do people give gifts beyond the preschool/daycare set? I don't know why but seems different maybe because it is more intimate in the preschool setting so you know your teacher has a lot more time and attention for your child?

SnuggleBuggles
12-13-2013, 11:15 PM
Do people give gifts beyond the preschool/daycare set? I don't know why but seems different maybe because it is more intimate in the preschool setting so you know your teacher has a lot more time and attention for your child?

Yes, the PTO at our k-8 school collects for a holiday gift

JustMe
12-13-2013, 11:17 PM
I actually generally don't like giving gifts, but do enjoy giving gifts to most of my kids' teachers. I give gifts to the teachers I appreciate to show them how important they are and how much we as a family value them. Anyone who has provided care and/or good education to my child is someone I enjoy gifting. When that has not been the case (when I felt like a teacher was actually doing a dis-service to one of my children), I have not given a gift at times...I am not talking about some minor disagreement, but when I feel like a teacher has had a significant negative impact on one of my children, I don't give them a gift.

I can relate to what you are saying in a way dogmom, b/c I do think it is interesting to think about who we culturally give gifts to and who we don't.

speo
12-13-2013, 11:37 PM
I enjoy giving the teachers gifts. I want them to know that I appreciate them and all of their hard work. In some ways, I think teachers (in my area at least) get more appreciation that most professions. My DH gets very little praise for his work. I see teachers being thanked everyday. However, they spend hours with my children everyday. And I want to give something back to them. Maybe it is the teachers, but I have felt even more inclined to give to our elementary teachers vs. preschool teachers. My DS's and I each write the teachers a thank you card.

I have to say though that I am saddened to hear some teachers come back after break and tell people the food they made was yummy even though they didn't eat it. Most years I have made granola for the teachers as part of their gift. I don't care if the choose to eat it or throw it out. And it seems appropriate to thank me for it if they want. But what is surprising is some teachers may have been lying to me that they actually liked it. That is my understanding from pp. Why lie? If I am a jerk and ask, "How did you like my granola?" Then sure maybe lie ... or not. I have had many teachers come back and say they loved my granola without my prompting. I guess some are lying. That makes me sad and seems over-the-top.

crl
12-13-2013, 11:48 PM
Do people give gifts beyond the preschool/daycare set?

IME, yes. When I was a kid in the 1970s , my mom gave a small gift to our grade school teachers every year. (Not gift cards, homemade ornaments or the like iirc). Ds is in fourth grade and every year of grade school there has been a collection for a group gift--always a gift card until this year when the teacher requested a donation to a charity. Preschools varied with some group gifts and some not. When there was not a group gift, we gave something individually. When ds received speech and ot at school, we gave small GCs to those people as well.

Catherine

TwinFoxes
12-13-2013, 11:57 PM
I
I have to say though that I am saddened to hear some teachers come back after break and tell people the food they made was yummy even though they didn't eat it. Most years I have made granola for the teachers as part of their gift. I don't care if the choose to eat it or throw it out. And it seems appropriate to thank me for it if they want. But what is surprising is some teachers may have been lying to me that they actually liked it. That is my understanding from pp. Why lie? If I am a jerk and ask, "How did you like my granola?" Then sure maybe lie ... or not. I have had many teachers come back and say they loved my granola without my prompting. I guess some are lying. That makes me sad and seems over-the-top.

i doubt they set out to lie. Likely they see you, and start thanking you, and it just slips out "thanks for the yummy granola!" I personally don't get the appeal of homemade granola (I'm picky about granola...not too much "stuff" not too sweet etc), but I'm sure some folks do love it, and genuinely think it's yummy.

speo
12-14-2013, 12:02 AM
(I'm picky about granola...not too much "stuff" not too sweet etc),

Then you might like mine. ;)

I really don't care if they like it or not. I just really don't want people to tell me that they did like it, if they don't have a clue. And for the record, I am skipping the granola this year. Just GC and thank you notes.

crayonblue
12-14-2013, 12:25 AM
k after break and tell people the food they made was yummy even though they didn't eat it. Most years I have made granola for the teachers as part of their gift. I don't care if the choose to eat it or throw it out. And it seems appropriate to thank me for it if they want. But what is surprising is some teachers may have been lying to me that they actually liked it. That is my understanding from pp. Why lie? If I am a jerk and ask, "How did you like my granola?" Then sure maybe lie ... or not. I have had many teachers come back and say they loved my granola without my prompting. I guess some are lying. That makes me sad and seems over-the-top.

Not necessarily. They may have been telling the complete truth and LOVED your granola! My MIL is a former teacher/principal and I know for a fact that she ate what her students gave her. She often brought the food home and put it on the counter for us to enjoy over the Christmas holiday too.

StantonHyde
12-14-2013, 12:50 AM
I always give gift cards--they can buy what they want. Iusually give them ones for Barnes and Noble or Amazon. Some teachers choose to buy books for the classroom with them. For after care people, I give Starbucks or iTunes gift certifies in the $10 range. The one food gift I do give is this unbelievably good brownie mix that is made and sold by a local school as a fundraiser. I have never had brownies as good as theirs.

But the biggest part of the gift is the lengthy, heartfelt thank you note--what a great teacher they and how they impacted my child and ME. It is a true personal thank you. I have had teachers tell me they were moved to tears. To me, that's the most important part!

I give because these teachers are with my kids all day. They are awesome and amazing. Buy high school I can see not doing the gifts but my kids are in a K-8 setting with one main teacher. My dad was a doctor--people brought tons of gifts to the office. The secretaries would freeze the chocolate and eat it throughout the year. I think you give gifts to people you see all the time. If you are in the hospital and see a nurse--or 4 or 5 nurses, you are not going to get them all gifts. My dad got a gift for the doctor and social worker who took care of him. The social worker could not accept the Gift card--it was against her ethics--so she bought reference materials for her department.

specialp
12-14-2013, 02:09 AM

I definitely think convention is a big part of it. One of my sisters lives in the town where we grew up. We did not do gifts, but wrote handmade thank you cards which we decorated. It’s completely different now. My sister buys gifts every year although she really does not have the budget for it because that is what people do.

We aren’t there yet, but I already dread it. I am not a gift person – either giving or receiving. (By example, I have had a do not buy me anything request for Mother’s Day from the start. That’s not something I want started with my kids.) I can write a heartfelt novel of a thank you note and mean it because words mean more to me than gifts and it is what I would want. I was never a teacher, but volunteered with a program for years and received teacher type gifts. I kept all the notes. But I have no doubt that I will feel the pressure and buy gift cards when the time comes.

dogmom
12-14-2013, 09:24 AM
I give gifts because I appreciate the care and love that my child's teachers and aids show him and my family. I appreciate that I know he is happy and safe and growing. And, I know that the work of these people (DS is in an Autism self-contained class) is physically exhausting. I give gifts to them to let them know that I celebrate them and the work they do.

When my parents began teaching in the early 60s they were not allowed to accept gifts. It might have suggested that someone was trying to buy a grade.

I think the difference between nursing and teaching is likely that the teacher-student relationship is every day, whereas the patient may only see the nurse on annual office visits or while in the hospital under their care, etc.

Just to clarify, I'm not looking for gifts, lol, just wondering when this whole teacher gift thing got so big. Your school district probably STILL has rules, people ignore them. In our state no employee should accept any gift over $50. People mistakenly thing a group gift gets around this, I clarified with principal, the $50 limit is for group gifts also. The acceptation is for something for the classroom. When I am room parent, like this year, I will get the teacher something small as a group gift the get them something like a Amazon or ACMoore or Staples GC that can be used for class stuff. I explain this every year to parents.

minnie-zb
12-14-2013, 11:51 AM
Then you might like mine. ;)

I really don't care if they like it or not. I just really don't want people to tell me that they did like it, if they don't have a clue. And for the record, I am skipping the granola this year. Just GC and thank you notes.

They are saying they liked it because it is part of our culture and what people do. It would be rude to ignore the gift and rude to say I didn't eat it or I didn't like it.

Globetrotter
12-14-2013, 12:11 PM
I give to the teachers because it's culturally expected, they are with my kids for a huge portion of their day on a consistent basis and have a very important job. Moreover, they aren't paid as much as say.. doctors.

I have given something to the nursing station after in-patient surgery. I give to the cleaners as a tip, small gift to the mail carrier and, in the past, to my hair stylist (now I don't have a consistent stylist). Otherwise, I don't recall giving any annual gifts like this.

twotimesblue
12-14-2013, 12:15 PM
I think a part of the reason that people gift teachers is because they don't want to look bad when all the other parents do! My DS has only been in preschool since September and we have already hosted a 'thankful' dinner for the teachers (complete with a special project of thanks, and individual thank you notes for the teachers, organized by the slightly over-zealous room moms).

There is a dedicated 'teacher appreciation committee' at the school which leaves yummy treats out for the staff every single day. We have also all been strongly encouraged to donate to the teachers' gift fund, which is cash only. Despite all this, many parents are going above and beyond this and giving individual gifts on top - I strongly feel that there is some oneupmanship going on here.

Sure, the teachers are great, but we are paying almost $1400/month for 3 hours a day of care, and I must admit that I am feeling slightly annoyed by the whole thing, especially as we are so 'new' to the school. With all the other donations that we are expected to give, on top of the insanely expensive tuition, it seems pretty OTT (and it isn't just our school - all the preschools in the area operate in a similar way)

ett
12-14-2013, 12:22 PM
In our state no employee should accept any gift over $50. People mistakenly thing a group gift gets around this, I clarified with principal, the $50 limit is for group gifts also.

It's $150 for group gifts.

Globetrotter
12-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Sure, the teachers are great, but we are paying almost $1400/month for 3 hours a day of care

But don't assume the teachers are paid well. Unfortunately, preschool/day care pay is abysmal :( Private schools also pay little, ironically. Our local public school salaries are actually quite good in comparison.

daniele_ut
12-14-2013, 12:44 PM
Yeah, no to stuffed animals and things that say "teacher" especially. I disagree with coffee/tea though. I think that's a pretty "safe" gift, MANY teachers drink either or both and even if they don't that's easy enough to give away or leave in the teacher's lounge for the school coffee machine or someone who drinks tea.

It's not a safe bet for a gift where I live. At least 50% of the population here is LDS and doesn't drink coffee or tea. My son goes to an LDS based curriculum school, but DD is at the neighborhood school for kindergarten and I have no idea which of her teachers are LDS and which are not.

ray7694
12-14-2013, 03:02 PM
I am a teacher and agree that gift cards are the best. If you want to buy something for the teacher find out what they need for the classroom. Most teachers spend tons of their own money on books, incentives, etc for their classroom.

squimp
12-14-2013, 03:24 PM
I give gifts because I want our teachers to know they are appreciated. They work hard and we have had some simply amazing, life-shaping teachers. Not every year, so the love I put into the gifts varies from year to year. For two years I made a detailed shutterfly book for the classroom from all the parents and then we did gift cards on top of that. We made a quilt out of hand-painted kids art one year for the amazing Ms. M. Parents also worked to get a $5K award to her from the state. I truly feel that teaching is one of THE most important jobs in our society and the way teachers are treated and paid does not reflect the importance of this role. Of course a gift card to Target and a handmade card isn't going to make up for that completely, but hopefully it helps.

Seitvonzu
12-14-2013, 03:52 PM
i had "ideas" but went with giftcards in the end. i do think i have enough handknit dishclothes for each specials teacher to get one (in a variated yarn that's mostly white with green/red) and for her classroom teacher to get a few in various "pink" themes (she's expressed that she loves pink in multiple places, so i think that's a safe bet). the dishclothes are pretty but useful and eventually disposable... i've never had people turn up their noses at them, esp. after they try them! :) i'm tucking those in little bags with giftcards ($25 target w/pez dispenser for classroom teacher, $10 panera bread for specials)

StantonHyde
12-14-2013, 03:59 PM
It's not a safe bet for a gift where I live. At least 50% of the population here is LDS and doesn't drink coffee or tea. My son goes to an LDS based curriculum school, but DD is at the neighborhood school for kindergarten and I have no idea which of her teachers are LDS and which are not.

And gourmet hot cocoa isn't exactly the same thing, is it?? This is another reason I give the GCs!

indigo99
12-14-2013, 05:47 PM
And gourmet hot cocoa isn't exactly the same thing, is it?? This is another reason I give the GCs!

I'm probably wrong. However, I thought the LDS issue with tea and coffee is that it's a hot drink, and that has been interpreted to mean that caffeine should be avoided. If you're avoiding caffeine then non-caffeinated coffee and tea should be fine, but if you're avoiding hot drinks then cocoa should be out. (although I'm guessing the original edict against hot drinks had more to do with alcohol than the temperature or caffeine)

squimp
12-14-2013, 09:59 PM
I'm probably wrong. However, I thought the LDS issue with tea and coffee is that it's a hot drink, and that has been interpreted to mean that caffeine should be avoided. If you're avoiding caffeine then non-caffeinated coffee and tea should be fine, but if you're avoiding hot drinks then cocoa should be out. (although I'm guessing the original edict against hot drinks had more to do with alcohol than the temperature or caffeine)

I'm not LDS but one of my good friends is mormon and she wouldn't have caffeine, so cokes and iced tea were always out for her too. My DD's good friend is LDS and she had chocolate at our house several times and her mom offered it up so I think it's the caffeine not the hot drink that's an issue.

indigo99
12-14-2013, 10:44 PM
I'm not LDS but one of my good friends is mormon and she wouldn't have caffeine, so cokes and iced tea were always out for her too. My DD's good friend is LDS and she had chocolate at our house several times and her mom offered it up so I think it's the caffeine not the hot drink that's an issue.

Yeah. I think that IS the case, but I'm pretty sure that the original edict of the church was against hot drinks which then became coffee and tea which then became caffeine. I found this news article (http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/54797595-78/church-drinks-caffeine-lds.html.csp) saying that the church officially has said that caffeine isn't against the religion. I guess some folks just continue to avoid it after abstaining for so many years.

Sorry for the hijack... back to your regularly scheduled teacher gift discussion.

lucybabymamma
12-16-2013, 10:41 AM
I post this every year... my dad does maintenance at his local district elementary school.

Every year he pulls stuff out of the trash and donates it to goodwill. He has pulled Vera Bradley, Yankee Candle, Thirty one, Lands End, picture frame, TONS Of Bath and Body, and even coffee and tea. Most food gifts they leave in a central area like the teachers lounge and they tell him to help himself. They leave it behind. Last year alone i could count on two hands the homemade mason jar cookie mix, brownie mix, etc. He makes sure unwanted stuff gets donated so it doesn't sit the whole week off. You can tell alot of times they will rip off gift cards and dispose of anything else.

Yes, not everyone does this, but if you could see the amounts of stuff! I stick with CASH or gift cards - still think that's the most appreciated. I think about myself - and personally i don't like vera bradley, HATE smelly products, and have enough mugs. I am a coffee snob, and i only use what i like.

It's the thought that definately counts, but man if you could see the amount of stuff - - it makes you think how much money and effort you put into a teachers gift....

AND WHILE I"M POSTING - - you should see the TRASH BAGS full of Lost and found coats, gloves, sweatshirts, etc at the end of the year! WITH NO NAMES! The school tells him to dispose of it. I must have washed at least 2 loads and donated to goodwill - - - WITH AT LEAST 3 North face coats!!!! I DON"T GET IT?????? I would kill my kid and he'd be checking lost and found everyday????

:yeahthat: This is all true. both my husband and I work in schools. I try to regift when possible. It's very nice when a class goes in on a giftcard and as a parent, I like that too because everyone can put the amount that is comfortable for them. Another thing to think about if you really want to give a few little things is to start giving them to the teacher starting the month of December, not the last day before break. This year, we brought a little treat to each of my child's aides and teachers one or two times a week starting in December. The teachers actually ate it/enjoyed it and were really appreciative (we did treats, handmade holiday earrings, etc). We are just doing gift cards AND they are at places where it's easy to buy something for that amount. Again not to be picky, but as a teacher, it is very challenging to get a gift card for say $20 but at a place where a meal and tip will easily cost $100.....

american_mama
12-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Articles like that rub me the wrong way a bit, and I think I figured out that its because I taught mainly students from low income families. ... I think we need to be careful when we judge gifts to think that not every kid or every family has the time, transportation or money that we do. ... I hate to think of them stumbling across an article like that and thinking that the gift they were so proud of may not have been appreciated by the teacher.

My kids go to an elementary school with almost 70% of students on free and reduced lunch. It used to be even more. A Favorite Things binder, while a great idea, would not be a success at our school because so many families cannot or would not use it. I feel a big binder assumes families are giving gifts, and not all are, or that they are really sweating the gift, and I think relatively few are. The idea of organizing class gifts was suggested by the PTO president this week for the first time ever at this school, but I am hesitant to suggest it among my class parents even though I'm the room contact person. I just feel it's presumptuous. The teachers do get gifts, but probably nowhere near what teachers at higher income schools get.

I give homemade candy as a present, a particular recipe that my mother, sister and I have all made for decades which gets rave reviews. I see that the list mocks that and some others are not in favor of it, but I am not ready to give it up and may never be. It's hard to separate what I like and think is a good teacher gift from standard advice.

american_mama
12-16-2013, 12:11 PM
One thing I wonder, and I don't think it was touched on by any previous posters, is why do we give teachers gifts? I am not asking if they deserve it, etc, but why do people do it. ...

I think that's an interesting question. I give gifts in elementary school because it's tradition, because I feel like elementary is a more personal, intimate experience than other grades. I think many people who sweat a gift give them because they like giving gifts, they like crafts, and/or they like tchotchka type things. I have also decided that outside of elementary school teachers, I only do gifts when I am moved to do so. One year, the principal was very helpful to us, so he got a gift. This year, DD1's 6th grade teacher will get gifts because I like all of them. Last year, I thought they were strictly so-so and was not moved to do a gift. I would never give a gift to health professional, nor do I give gifts to preschool teachers (something about paying tuition already turns me off of doing a gift too). By picking and choosing, I feel more sincere about what I am giving and the effort or money it takes.

magnoliaparadise
12-16-2013, 02:03 PM
This is all very interesting to me. I'm new at this.
I hope this isn't a complete hijack, but I had a few questions after reading through this thread/
1) If I gave (a high PTA 'suggested amount' of) money at the beginning of the year for a 'group' class gift, do I still give a GC? Seems like a lot to me? (I will definitely do the very personal card)
2) Before reading this thread, I was planning on giving my Kindergartener's DD1's teacher a cute toy for her child as a thank you gift because we both have toddlers close in age and sometimes talk about them. Would that be too personal, inappropriate? It didn't occur to me that that would be a bad gift!
Thanks...

crl
12-16-2013, 03:21 PM
I hope this isn't a complete hijack, but I had a few questions after reading through this thread/
1) If I gave (a high PTA 'suggested amount' of) money at the beginning of the year for a 'group' class gift, do I still give a GC? Seems like a lot to me? (I will definitely do the very personal card)
2) Before reading this thread, I was planning on giving my Kindergartener's DD1's teacher a cute toy for her child as a thank you gift because we both have toddlers close in age and sometimes talk about them. Would that be too personal, inappropriate? It didn't occur to me that that would be a bad gift!
Thanks...

At our current school, room parents request a donation at the beginning of the year to cover gifts to the teacher and class party expenses for the entire year. The email requesting the funds says that is what the money is for.

Catherine

SnuggleBuggles
12-16-2013, 03:39 PM
My kids go to an elementary school with almost 70% of students on free and reduced lunch. It used to be even more. A Favorite Things binder, while a great idea, would not be a success at our school because so many families cannot or would not use it. I feel a big binder assumes families are giving gifts, and not all are, or that they are really sweating the gift, and I think relatively few are. The idea of organizing class gifts was suggested by the PTO president this week for the first time ever at this school, but I am hesitant to suggest it among my class parents even though I'm the room contact person. I just feel it's presumptuous. The teachers do get gifts, but probably nowhere near what teachers at higher income schools get.

I give homemade candy as a present, a particular recipe that my mother, sister and I have all made for decades which gets rave reviews. I see that the list mocks that and some others are not in favor of it, but I am not ready to give it up and may never be. It's hard to separate what I like and think is a good teacher gift from standard advice.

A group gift though is a great way for families that may only have a few dollars to contribute. There aren't many $3 gifts out there but if 20 families send in $3, it turns into a nice gift. I think you should put it out there bc contributing is optional. You should let them choose what works for them vs presuming they wouldn't be interested or able.

Karenn
12-16-2013, 08:54 PM
I think it's hard to have any hard and fast rules about what teachers will and will not like. (Except maybe mugs. Most teachers I know, myself included, have way too many mugs. ;) )

At my school, teachers eat homemade treats all the time, without a second thought. They're always well received.

I love gift cards to upscale department stores, restaurants, etc, but I have colleagues who don't. If you're on a budget and shop mostly at Target and Goodwill, shopping at Nordstrom can seem ridiculously extravagant. It's really hard to watch $25-$50 go to one "nice" thing when money is tight you know the same amount would buy so much more at the stores where you usually shop.

As a parent, I love the idea of a gift idea binder so that I could get teachers what they really love. Again though, I have colleagues who have a really hard time with that sort of thing. It makes them feel like they're soliciting gifts.

I've been known to ask the secretary or close co-workers of my children's teachers for gift ideas. Where does Mrs. Jones buy her coffee? Where does Mr. Johnson like to eat out? Does Ms. Smith go to a lot of movies? It allows me to make them a little more personal.

One of my most favorite things is the mom who drops off her kid and then says, "I'm going to make a run to Starbucks before I have to come back and volunteer in my child's class. What drink can I get for you? Do you want hot chocolate? Coffee?" She does this a few times a year. Love that woman!

I think it is true that teachers really do appreciate the thoughtfulness behind any gift that they get. No one that I work with is ever going to complain about a gift that they've been offered out of gratitude. There are just some gifts that they appreciate more than others. The challenge is that the gift that is perfect and amazing for one teacher can be not quite right for the one down the hall.

About the poster that was thinking of giving the teacher a gift for her toddler because you both have toddlers: I'd love that kind of gift. Anytime my students and parents remember my own children, it makes me happy. I think your gift sounds perfect since you've talked about your kids before.

musicalgrl
12-16-2013, 11:54 PM
I think this thread - with more than 8,200 views - proves that there is no 'one size fits all' answer to gift giving or gift getting. It's so personal and subjective...but we all want to get it right!

AnnieW625
12-16-2013, 11:59 PM
Thanks...

I would give what was donated at the beginning of the year, but if you wanted to give something for the toddler I might do that also. I think it is right to say that there is no right or wrong answer here.

magnoliaparadise
12-17-2013, 09:38 AM
Hi CRL, AnnieW625 and Karenn,
Thanks for your thoughts about giving to the teacher's toddler and the group gift. Much appreciated.

Maxlee
12-17-2013, 09:49 AM
My kindergarten kid wants to give her teacher one of her favorite books (cute - kindergarten appropriate book they don't have it in the classroom) - what do you guys think? I also contributed to the class gift.

vonfirmath
12-17-2013, 09:51 AM
My kindergarten kid wants to give her teacher one of her favorite books (cute - kindergarten appropriate book they don't have it in the classroom) - what do you guys think? I also contributed to the class gift.

That's what I did last year (K) for end of year. Sounds good to me

TwinFoxes
12-17-2013, 10:21 AM

I think that's a great idea.

PZMommy
12-17-2013, 10:29 AM

Yes! And have your child sign the inside cover or write a short message. One of my most treasured gifts, was a big book of my favorite story and all of the students signed it. It was from the class I student taught. Every year when I pull it out to read, I think of that class.