PDA

View Full Version : Texas teen gets no jailtime for driving drunk, killing 4

♥ms.pacman♥
12-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Saw this today, and it made me so mad. I don't know, but stories of drunk drivers getting off or just getting slap on a wrists just gets my blood boiling. This 16yo and some friends stole beer from Walmart, then got drunk and then killed 4 people (all pedestrians), plus 2 other teens were severely injured as they were tossed out of the pickup he was driving (one can no longer walk and talk). Apparently the defense said this kid is rich and privileged, so his parents are to blame, not him. He only got 10 years probation.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/11/us/texas-teen-dwi-wreck/ (http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/11/us/texas-teen-dwi-wreck/)

it makes me mad too because the vast majority of FB news stories from those in TX in my feed lately are outrage over "the war on Christmas" and links discussing lazy people who get handouts and don't work for their money. But a rich white kid getting off after driving drunk and killing people, with the defense of "affluenza" isn't apparently something noteworthy or getting upset over. :shrug:

janine
12-12-2013, 11:29 AM
I have not heard much on this story (so don't get mad at me for not posting about it ;)), but agree on it being outrageous. So my question is if the parents are to blame, then why can't they can go to jail!

elektra
12-12-2013, 11:33 AM
"Affluenza" as the actual defense? Mindboggling. Sure, the kid really messed up and did not mean to kill anyone. But he did. The families of those killed deserve more than that from our justice system.

zukeypur
12-12-2013, 01:14 PM
I'm in Texas and I've seen this in my newsfeed today.

JamiMac
12-12-2013, 01:21 PM
I'm in DFW too and this has been all over the news and in my FB newsfeed.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-12-2013, 01:36 PM
I have not heard much on this story (so don't get mad at me for not posting about it ;)),

Sorry, i am not mad at people for not hearing about it. I am in the local area and this story only popped up in the news today bc of the ruling (the incident happened in June). I guess i am basically saying is that where i live, it surprises me when things like this, even when local, go fairly unnoticed, or, at least there little outrage over it. But then, a school district refers to a christmas tree as a "holiday tree' and everyone's up in arms over it (i pretty much get daily updates on this situation as it's in a local district). it's only in my FB feed bc a friend from MA posted it.

the story about the NFL football player that also only got 30 days prison for DUI manslaughter also made me so mad. Though that guy actually did time (at least for a short time). i get that is different for a minor, but seriously..i can't wrap my head around anyone driving drunk and killing people and injuring others, and then using the fact that he was privileged as a defense, and then not getting any jail time.

I really feel for the victims families here. One of them was a youth pastor, and the other two were a father & daughter trying to help out a friend who was stuck on the side of the road.

vonfirmath
12-12-2013, 01:36 PM
I'm in Texas and there seems to be just as much outrage over this as rejoicing over the recent Christmas law signed.

wellyes
12-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Didn't click. Let me guess, he's white.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Didn't click. Let me guess, he's white.

Correct. I bet a thousand bucks if he had been poor and a minority, he'd be getting the 20 years the prosecution was aiming for.

I still can't believe the defense of being too privileged to understand the consequences of your own actions. If that is the case, as janine says, why aren't the parents being charged with something?

I saw this from another newssite:
Anderson said the boy’s blood-alcohol level was three times the legal limit when Couch and seven other teens piled into his red Ford F-350 and sped down Burleson-Retta Road driving 70 mph in a 40-mph zone.

I cannot see how anyone doing this, even at 16, can not be held responsible. There are stupid teenage "mistakes" but I think this goes way beyond that. This stuff freaks me out.

khm
12-12-2013, 02:37 PM
What is the flip-side defense? Some kid in poverty, who has parents who ignore him should get off on the "didn't know any better defense", "never had limits defense" too, right?

Sickening.

wellyes
12-12-2013, 02:46 PM
I imagine the families of his victims can go after him in civil court and win. That will cost his parents a lot of money, in addition to the $500,000 they're paying to put him in a rehab facility.

Although...... I don't know if there is rehab for "too coddled to be held responsible for his actions", but imagine a $500,000 rehab facility is not the place to find it.

Indianamom2
12-12-2013, 02:47 PM
I just saw this story this morning. I don't care what side of the political aisle you live on, this is a very sad story and the "affluenza" defense is shameful. I agree with khm, will the poor kid who does the same thing get the opposite defense...."I had no parental guidance" defense?

Granted, the driver will have to live with doing this the rest of his life and I can't even begin to imagine what that would be like, but at the very least, something more needs to be done.