PDA

View Full Version : DS dizzy and "weird feeling" - take back to doc, or leave it be?

lmh2402
12-12-2013, 02:33 PM
DS started with his worst case of croup ever on Sun night. We've had it many times before and it always makes me nervous, but I remind myself that he's usually fine. This time, even H was a nervous wreck. We were outside with him at 1:30am and I swear none of us slept all night.

Brought him to pedi at 9:30 mon morning and she prescribed steroid. By Monday afternoon, the cold symptoms had started (he seemed totally fine on Sun, even going to bed).

He has a horrific cold. Really, really bad.

I kept him home today b/c he just looks awful and can't stop coughing - by now it's mostly just deep sounding congestion/the croup has mostly passed.

I am out doing a consulting project and just got a call from our sitter that she took DS out in the backyard b/c he was begging to out for a bit. They went on the swing and then she said they were running around playing chase for about five minutes, when DS suddenly walked over to the tree in our yard and was standing leaning against it very quiet. Sitter asked him what was wrong and she said he was really out of it and didn't answer her. Then said she could go play, he needed to stay there and rest.

She picked him up and brought him back in and called me. I talked to him on the phone - he couldn't tell me what was wrong. Kept saying it was a weird feeling in his throat and was getting very upset, so I told him I would describe some feelings and he would tell me if it was right.

I asked about nausea, difficulty breathing, pain in the chest - no to all of it. Yes to dizzy and "feeling weird."

So, not sure what to do with that, but the sitter is clearly uncomfortable so I guess I'm going to go home. Should I bring him back into the doc?

Indianamom2
12-12-2013, 02:54 PM
I would take him back in. Dizziness alone isn't necessarily bad (could just be sinus congestion causing his inner ear/balance to be off) but his exhaustion and makes me think he needs to be seen again. Better safe than sorry. The only time DD had something similar, she had pneumonia. We had no idea....just thought it was a bad cold. Hope he feels better soon.

Oh, and just in case there's any chance....maybe ask about whooping cough. I doubt that's it, but some of the symptoms can be more subtle in a vaxed kid.

hillview
12-12-2013, 10:09 PM
is he ok? i am wondering if he has a temp. pneumonia might be a consideration.

flashy09
12-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Do you think he could have gotten short of breath from the croup/cold and had an anxiety attack? Just the way his throat got tight and he felt dizzy and weird reminds a lot of my own anxiety and it's often triggered by thinking something is wrong with myself. So he could have been playing and felt his chest get tight and scared himself. Just a thought!

lmh2402
12-12-2013, 10:52 PM
thanks, guys. i opted to call pedi and made an appt for 3pm. then fed him some soup and put him in for a nap. he woke up with 103. sucks.

not sure how or why he seems to be getting worse. the croup started sun night and he had around 99/100 mon, tues, wed. and now a spike.

pedi swabbed for strep, which was negative. did a nasal swap for flu - we'll see. and is taking a wait and see approach.

she said he chest "doesn't sound too bad." said his nasal passages are totally swollen shut and she thinks his horrible cough is from the stuff in his head.

thinks he got dizzy b/c his left ear is full of fluid, though not infected.

so...we wait.

he is so tired. took a two hour nap and still asked to go to bed at 6:30pm. just woke up crying about an hour ago, but couldn't tell me why. said he felt sick. he doesn't have fever right now.

i hate when they're sick! especially when i can't know exactly what's going on

anyway, thanks for the thoughts.

pinkmomagain
12-12-2013, 11:40 PM
Aw your update pulled on my heart strings. It does stink when they are sick. I hope things turn around for him quickly!

mackmama
12-13-2013, 12:16 AM
I also would have voted to bring him back in to the doc like you did. So sorry your little guy is feeling so crummy. Just wanted to say you're in my thoughts.

sariana
12-13-2013, 12:22 AM
Sounds like what my DD has--Urgent Care said no infections, just a "bad cold." But the darn fever won't go away. :-( She has a stuffy nose and a cough, and she complains about various body aches and a headache. I don't think it's the flu, just a nasty virus.

I hope your little guy is better. Lots of fluids and rest, right?

Aishe
12-13-2013, 01:03 AM
Sounds like what my DD has--Urgent Care said no infections, just a "bad cold." But the darn fever won't go away. :-( She has a stuffy nose and a cough, and she complains about various body aches and a headache. I don't think it's the flu, just a nasty virus.

I hope your little guy is better. Lots of fluids and rest, right?

Both my kids have has these exact symptoms over the last week (and as usual, now I'm coming down with it . . . sigh). Ds's turned into bronchitis and he's had horrible wheezing at night. OP, I would have taken your ds in as well. I hope he improves quickly.

petesgirl
12-13-2013, 01:12 AM
Hugs to all of you!! Being sick is no fun for anybody.

Tondi G
12-13-2013, 01:53 AM
I'm glad you had him looked at. The fluid in his ear can turn infected really quick so if he starts complaining of ear pain I would call the doc and see if they will call in some abx. Your DS is 4 right? If his sinuses are swollen shut I would consider using a squirt of Afrin pump mist in each nostril. I had terrible ear infections as a child and my ENT had me using Afrin. I've been doing this (with my peds blessing) since my boys were around that age. It is impossible to sleep well when your nose is completely closed up. I only use the Afrin at bedtime and only for 2 or 3 days. Some benedryl to dry up the post nasal drip might help with the cough too. Hope he feels better soon.

ahisma
12-13-2013, 02:28 AM
Ears can really have a huge impact on how you feel. I once had a dog hair lodge in my eardrum (DH's dog slept in his while we were engaged). I spent two weeks at the doc trying to figure out what was wrong with me. I was convinced that I had a hidden tumor or something, because I felt horrible. Finally a doc found the dog hair and removed it - I was better within the hour.

That all goes to say that, while I'm sure there is no dog hair in his ear, an infection can really knock him off his feet.

lmh2402
12-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Thanks, guys. Fever continues for DS - 104 multiple times last night and hanging around 102 most of today.

and of course, now DD has joined the fun. took her in today and was sent home with orders for nebulizer - she's hacking up a lung and wheezing to beat the band and my heart is in my throat b/c it just SUCKS to stress about breathing stuff. i mean, i really, really hate it. like really. i need some serious xanax or something.

anyway, thank you for the thoughts.

daisysmom
12-13-2013, 09:34 PM
So your ds is still coughing after a few days in the steroid for croup (prednisone?)? My dd had to go on prednisone twice this summer and both times it took away a horrible cough within 24-30 hours. I will say that oral steroids make my dd really dizzy and off feeling so I would have wondered if those had an impact too for you? But if he still coughing even after a few days on the steroid, that would make me return to the doctor.

hillview
12-13-2013, 10:24 PM
ugg I am so so sorry. Feel better all!

petesgirl
12-14-2013, 12:01 AM
Ears can really have a huge impact on how you feel. I once had a dog hair lodge in my eardrum (DH's dog slept in his while we were engaged). I spent two weeks at the doc trying to figure out what was wrong with me. I was convinced that I had a hidden tumor or something, because I felt horrible. Finally a doc found the dog hair and removed it - I was better within the hour.

That all goes to say that, while I'm sure there is no dog hair in his ear, an infection can really knock him off his feet.
For real?!? That's crazy!