PDA

View Full Version : Help, what to get ten year old girl

crl
12-12-2013, 03:14 PM
I just signed us up to help with gifts for a homeless family. We are doing pants, tops and socks. I have sizes and I plan to go to Old Navy for those things. I also said I would do a gift. I was thinking a book plus something else. Suggestions? I could do a GC to the local ice cream shop with enough money on it for the whole family. . . . Shopping options are a little limited because of time constraints (just got the email and need to turn the stuff over b/f Monday).

Thanks for any suggestions!
Catherine

squimp
12-12-2013, 03:17 PM
I have a 10-yr-old and we did a Rainbow loom (Michaels) and Lego Friends (Target) for our angel tree 9 and 10 yr old girls this year. The rainbow loom is really popular these days and it's fairly portable.

crl
12-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Okay. Craft store is near Old Navy so maybe they would have the rainbow loom in stock?

Thanks!
Catherine

SummerBaby
12-12-2013, 03:21 PM
Rainbow loom, nice pens or markers, journal or fancy notebook, one of those fashion drawing notebooks with colored pencils and stencils (Wal mart has them), nice hat and gloves- my 9 year old DD and her friends like the hats that look like animal heads, these are all things my fourth grade DD and her friends like.

brittone2
12-12-2013, 03:24 PM
My almost 10 yo has a sansa mp3 player. Not sure if something like that would be an option. It was roughly $30, so IMO perfect in case it gets lost, damaged, etc. and that's my preference right now at his age. (eta: with a homeless child, I am assuming that may not work as she may not have access to a way to load it? I missed that she was actually homeless when I read your OP).

I know there was a local news story here last year about preteens and teens not getting much from Toys for Tots. They suggested things like hair styling appliances and accessories, inexpensive mp3 players, costume jewelry/jewelry boxes, small hand held electronic games, sporting equipment, etc. 10 is tough as they are a little young for some of that perhaps. http://www.toysfortots.org/frequently_asked_questions/

The local story was so touching that I had to run out and pick up some teen/preteen oriented items and put them in the donation box. Honestly, I never knew those were so needed for Toys for Tots and undersupplied. I didn't realize how many preteens and teens ended up with very little or nothing as people don't tend to buy for them and tend to prefer buying "cute" toys for little ones.

Binkandabee
12-12-2013, 03:26 PM
I went out at lunch today and bought a rainbow loom for our 9 year old angel. Michael's was offering a free band pack with purchase.

crl
12-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Thank you!

By the way, any suggestions on the book? I will ask ds--that's why I picked the ten year old because I am hoping I can get him to help choose things. But I think I'd better go armed with some ideas too. And I have no idea what ten year old girls are reading these days--and of course no clue as to her reading level. But I thought a book plus something would be good for a gift. I thought about getting her a gift card to the local bookstore, but she has siblings and that seems like it might be tough if she gets to buy a book and they don't. . . .I can do a big enough ice cream gift card for her to take her whole family out for ice cream, but books are pricier. . . .

Catherine

lizzywednesday
12-12-2013, 03:38 PM
School for Good & Evil? http://www.amazon.com/School-Good-Evil-Soman-Chainani/dp/0062104896

Percy Jackson? http://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Thief-Percy-Jackson-Olympians/dp/0786838655/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386876948&sr=1-1&keywords=the+lightning+thief+by+rick+riordan

Also, may I suggest a lightweight book light? B&N has some nice ones; DD& I got this one for DH's birthday:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/home-gift-mighty-bright-pink-miniflex-led-book-light/21297613?ean=9781935009290

Binkandabee
12-12-2013, 03:39 PM
My Daughter loves the guiness record books. She literally pours over it for the entire year until she gets the newest one for Christmas. This has also been a big hit with her and her friends:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157054428X/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Percy Jackson, Wimpy Kid...things your DS is probably also interested in :)

squimp
12-12-2013, 03:45 PM
I think a book is hard, there's a huge range in reading levels at that age IMO. A headlamp or booklight would be a cool gift, she could use it to read in bed as well.

egoldber
12-12-2013, 03:50 PM
I agree that a book is hard at that age because kids can be all over the place in terms of reading levek and interest. My older DD hated the "reality" type of fiction for girls and prefers fantasy. But many of her friends hate fantasy.

The Guinness Record books like the PP mentioned are always VERY popular. Also maybe something like The Daring Book for Girls (http://www.amazon.com/Daring-Book-Girls-Andrea-Buchanan/dp/0062208969/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1386877745&sr=8-1). It's full of a wide variety of articles and activities that interest girls. And the reading level is not complex.

JustMe
12-12-2013, 03:55 PM
My 10 year old girl loves her new rainbow loom, so I think that is a great idea! If you want something extra buy more bands.

I agree that a book is difficult due to not knowing her grade level and interests. Agree that Guinness Book --is probably one of the best bets if you are going to buy a book.

Indianamom2
12-12-2013, 04:46 PM
DD is 9 and loves Harry Potter, Animal Ark series, Ramona and Beezus (and Beverly Cleary), Nancy Drew, Little House on the Prarie....anything along those lines should be ok.

If you get a booklight, you might consider packing extra sets of batteries. I'm guessing that if the family is homeless they won't have any extra for batteries when the first set dies.

crl
12-12-2013, 04:59 PM
I asked a fifth grade teacher who said a bunch of her girls have been very into the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books this year. DS has been reading those so it seems like a good thing to have him pick out. So I think I will do one of those, plus the rainbow loom if the craft store has it. I plan to include gift receipts and buy at local stores though I guess it still might be difficult for them to get back to exchange things.

Thank you!
Catherine