PDA

View Full Version : ISO Art supplies for 7 yo boy

94bruin
12-12-2013, 03:33 PM
I asked a friend for gift ideas for his son. He suggested art supplies.

Trying to figure out if there are any art supplies/kits that might work. The kid isn't into art per se, it's just that we always exchange gifts for our kids. This kid isn't into anything in particular! Makes it tough to figure out what to buy him (vs the usual lego kit, which he got for his birthday.)

Target price is under $30.

Thanks!

Aishe
12-12-2013, 04:01 PM
I bought my 7yo dd a Crayola Marker Maker for Christmas. It gets good reviews and she visits it every time we go to Target. It's also available at Amazon, but it's $30 there right now.

http://www.target.com/p/crayola-marker-maker/-/A-14592094#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=crayola+marker+maker

Reviews recommend getting a refill pack.

http://www.target.com/p/crayola-marker-maker-refill-pack/-/A-14559364#prodSlot=medium_1_2&term=crayola+marker+maker

sariana
12-12-2013, 04:29 PM
Target has some art kits, with colored pencils and other supplies but no theme. I got a couple of boxes with handles for my nieces. I think they were $20. I just looked around the "Arts & Crafts" section at my Target. It was spread between 2 aisles for no apparent reason.

There also were lots of different "project" kits if you want something more directed vs. just supplies.

YouAreTheFocus
12-12-2013, 05:48 PM
I'm having trouble getting past the gift suggestion of art supplies for a kid that isn't into art. That said, I had a good experience last year purchasing art supplies for a 7 yr old girl (who is into art). I went to an independent art supply store and the staff was able to assist me in finding nicer but age-appropriate items. I liked that the supplies were a step up IRT brand & quality, but not overkill for a kid.

PunkyBoo
12-12-2013, 06:20 PM
I'd get a Rainbow Loom. My 9 year old DS is really enjoying his and my almost-5 year old is begging for a turn on it.

94bruin
12-12-2013, 08:28 PM
I'm having trouble getting past the gift suggestion of art supplies for a kid that isn't into art. That said, I had a good experience last year purchasing art supplies for a 7 yr old girl (who is into art). I went to an independent art supply store and the staff was able to assist me in finding nicer but age-appropriate items. I liked that the supplies were a step up IRT brand & quality, but not overkill for a kid.

I guess I should have written: The kid likes art and creating stuff, but isn't passionate about art. He just dabbles in all sorts of things. I might end up getting him some sort of craft kit. But I'll stop by my local art store and see what they have. Thanks for the suggestion.

kristac
12-12-2013, 08:37 PM
My boys really like the Kids Made Modern tape sets- http://www.target.com/p/kid-made-modern-printed-tape-set/-/A-14028692#prodSlot=medium_1_38&term=kids+made+modern

BunnyBee
12-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Maybe a Klutz book and extra supplies? There is a cute Star Wars thumbprint art book. Paper airplane books? There are some very cool versions. My DS loved the Star Wars versions. I'm getting the Flying Dragons book for his stocking.

kristac
12-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Maybe a Klutz book and extra supplies? There is a cute Star Wars thumbprint art book. Paper airplane books? There are some very cool versions. My DS loved the Star Wars versions. I'm getting the Flying Dragons book for his stocking.

You have a huge stocking if you can fit that book! My boys really love both the star wars and flying dragon books. The dragon one in particular is really great quality.

ahisma
12-13-2013, 12:52 AM
My 7 yo DS is hooked on his spirograph kit.

new_mommy25
12-13-2013, 12:10 PM
DD loves her Alex Draw like a Pro. It's really fun.