PDA

View Full Version : 18" Doll: Madme Alexander or Our Generation?

sariana
12-13-2013, 01:26 PM
DD wants "an American Girl" doll but doesn't care if it's really AG--she just wants an 18" doll. We will not be getting her an AG doll (yet, at least), and I am debating between the Madame Alexander doll and horse set at Costco (assuming they still have any) and an Our Generation doll and horse from Target. I know there are issues with hair (vs the AG hair), but I'm not really concerned about that.

Are there any compelling reasons I should choose one over the other? Will the Target clothes fit the MA doll?

SASM
12-13-2013, 03:22 PM
I think they are both about the same. We had an OG doll and horse. DD1 loves horses but after a while just ditched it bc she couldn't deal with the hair (was a snarled mess right out of the package). Same goes for the doll...I honestly was happy dancing when those toys left the house. They were cute but the hair was horrible...and I tried all different types of products to tame it. The AG dolls are soooo worth the money just for the hair alone. :(

sariana
12-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the input. My sister and I are REALLY good at cutting dolls' hair. ;) We had a few baldies, but we still loved them.

DH is not crazy about doing a doll at all, so there is no way he would be willing to shell out $120 for one, no matter how great its hair is.

kit
12-13-2013, 03:38 PM
For a price point inbetween American Girl and OG/Madame Alexander, PBKids has some Gotz dolls on sale, with free shipping. The International ones are especially a good deal now at $47. I've heard the Gotz quality is comparable to AG.

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/shop/sale/doll-sale/

lizzywednesday
12-13-2013, 03:42 PM
For a price point inbetween American Girl and OG/Madame Alexander, PBKids has some Gotz dolls on sale, with free shipping. The International ones are especially a good deal now at $47. I've heard the Gotz quality is comparable to AG.

As someone who owns old-school AG (mine), has experience with newer AG (my sister's), and whose DD owns a Gotz, the Gotz are just as nice as AG.

Honestly, I kind of like the Gotz dolls a bit more than AG right now, but I'm having a hard time forgiving them for discontinuing Molly.

coolae
12-13-2013, 04:43 PM
I don't know anything about the Madame Alexander dolls but we got an OG last Christmas and are doing another one this Christmas, per my daughter's request (she turns 5 next month). I also am not willing yet to fork out the dough for a real one as she will not take care of it. The hair is A MESS. But she LOVES the things and the matching accessories really are cute and reasonably priced. She loves checking everything out at Target and on their website with me. So, I would say that a plus for the OG is that the coordinating things are readily available--I don't know if there really is stuff that "goes" with the MA ones or if your daughter will even care.

Hopefully next year we will be ready for a real doll! There's no way she is getting my perfect-in-box Samantha! :)

Aishe
12-13-2013, 05:13 PM
I was just at Costco and they had the MA set marked down to $29.97 (and they had a good number of them). At that price I would go with the MA set.

SASM
12-13-2013, 08:42 PM
You might find an AG doll on craigslist. :)

iaam
12-13-2013, 08:54 PM
I was just at Costco and they had the MA set marked down to $29.97 (and they had a good number of them). At that price I would go with the MA set.

Second this. The Costco sets are a great deal.

sariana
12-13-2013, 08:59 PM
I'm planning to go to Costco tomorrow--fingers crossed they'll still have some. Our warehouse is one of the smaller ones, but I can't go to one of the bigger locations because I need to pick up pictures that I had sent to our "regular" warehouse. (We have three all about the same distance from us, plus one or two others we go to on occasion, near the ILs or other errands.)

It's difficult for me to go shopping without the kids, and DD has been home sick for two days. Fortunately DH has said I can leave them home tomorrow. That is an unusual situation. In general either he is working, or we are doing something as a family.

chiisai
12-13-2013, 09:14 PM

Wow, that's a great price! I've had my eye in Carmen recently, hadn't seen the drop. This will tip me over. Thanks so much.

Seitvonzu
12-14-2013, 10:03 AM
Wow, that's a great price! I've had my eye in Carmen recently, hadn't seen the drop. This will tip me over. Thanks so much.

Oh man....why do I check these posts? I have a soft spot for gotz dolls too after working at a doll store and getting my first AG doll in the late 80s. I also love indian dolls....I probably should go dig out my other 18 inch gotz in a sari before I bite on this.....but the carmen? Its the free shipping that appeals most pb never does that on bigger stuff

sariana
12-14-2013, 09:26 PM
I'm planning to go to Costco tomorrow--fingers crossed they'll still have some. Our warehouse is one of the smaller ones, but I can't go to one of the bigger locations because I need to pick up pictures that I had sent to our "regular" warehouse. (We have three all about the same distance from us, plus one or two others we go to on occasion, near the ILs or other errands.)

It's difficult for me to go shopping without the kids, and DD has been home sick for two days. Fortunately DH has said I can leave them home tomorrow. That is an unusual situation. In general either he is working, or we are doing something as a family.

Costco still had some! But turns out they're not Madame Alexander. They're Alexander Girlz. Doesn't matter to me, though, and the $29.97 price was great!

Thanks, all!

kit
12-15-2013, 02:30 AM
Oh man....why do I check these posts? I have a soft spot for gotz dolls too after working at a doll store and getting my first AG doll in the late 80s. I also love indian dolls....I probably should go dig out my other 18 inch gotz in a sari before I bite on this.....but the carmen? Its the free shipping that appeals most pb never does that on bigger stuff

I caved today - picked up the last Mei at the store, with the 20% off coupon it was just under $40 and I couldn't resist!

Sariana - glad you got the doll you wanted!

chiisai
12-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Great deal, Sariana! DH went to Costco yesterday but couldn't figure out where to find them. He did get a Hair Lalaloopsy (peanut), so she'll get that. I did cave and get Carmen from PBK, though, too.