PDA

View Full Version : Is this good enough? Santa lists are killing me this year!

bisous
12-13-2013, 04:49 PM
DS2 asked for 2 things. The Lego Ninjago Epic Dragon Battle Set which WAS $78 which is in my budget but it has gone all the way up to $120 which is frankly, not. And lego "crab fishing" set. I'm trying to keep the budget at $100 and the set I really like on Amazon for crab fishing is currently at $72. So he has some expensive tastes. What if I just bought the $72 fishing set, the minifigures from the Ninjago set and some extra crabs? Does that work? Is that a good Christmas? Buying BOTH sets would set me back almost double my budget!

And now on to DS1. Yikes. Here's his list:

Armymen
iPad
wii
books
dog
stuffed animals
plastic animals
spy kit
3D printer
$27
Legos
yoga ball
and a warm hug

Almost everything on there will not work for a "big" Santa present. The wii, iPad and 3D printer are too expensive. The yoga ball is too big. We're not getting a dog. I can do books, legos, stuffed animals, armymen and plastic animals but they are just small and not specific. Seriously, how can I get this kid the right Christmas present? Particularly when paired with his brother's requests as I like them to at least SEEM "equal". DS1 knows about Santa and asked me specifically if he is getting a wii. DH is really opposed and grandparents already have one that they share with us all the time. Ugh.

TIA!

Indianamom2
12-13-2013, 04:56 PM
It's hard to be on a budget. But think back to your Christmases as a kid. Do you really remember all that you got or is it more a blur of warm family memories? I might remember one or two extra special gifts, but I couldn't tell you what I got most years.

And may I just say that your Ds1's list is adorable! I love the $27 and a warm hug. I think that is so sweet.

sariana
12-13-2013, 05:05 PM
Er, since DS1 asked for Legos, is there any way he could get the dragon set, with a note from Santa to share it with his brother? And a similar note for DS2 regarding the crab boat? Especially since DS1 "knows," maybe this would work. Then each could get a few of the smaller items to supplement.

Also, there are some pretty cool spy sets out there. That might work as the "big" gift if sharing is a no-go.

vonfirmath
12-13-2013, 05:24 PM
DS2 asked for 2 things. The Lego Ninjago Epic Dragon Battle Set which WAS $78 which is in my budget but it has gone all the way up to $120 which is frankly, not. And lego "crab fishing" set. I'm trying to keep the budget at $100 and the set I really like on Amazon for crab fishing is currently at $72. So he has some expensive tastes. What if I just bought the $72 fishing set, the minifigures from the Ninjago set and some extra crabs? Does that work? Is that a good Christmas? Buying BOTH sets would set me back almost double my budget!

TIA!

Well.. $120 is the retail price for that set. Getting Legos on sale is rare. I'd stay within your budget. Get the fishing set, more crabs, some minifigures.

Blue Hydrangea
12-13-2013, 05:31 PM
How old is DS1? I love the spy kit idea, and I'm thinking that depending on age, you could get DS1 a really cool pop-up book, something he would need to be careful with but find fascinating, maybe like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Mythologica-Dragons-Monsters-Pop-Up/dp/0763631736/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1386969976&sr=8-13&keywords=robert+sabuda+pop-up+books

or this
http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Prehistorica-Dinosaurs-Definitive-Pop-Up/dp/0763622281/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386970087&sr=1-1&keywords=pop-up+books

or this
http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Prehistorica-Sharks-Other-Monsters/dp/076362229X/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

Indianamom2
12-13-2013, 05:31 PM
Have you tried Ebay? I'm finding several listings for the Ninjago set that could be in your budget. Just another thought.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=lego+ninjago+epic+dragon+battle+9450

SnuggleBuggles
12-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Sorry, I am terrible with holiday budgets for the kids. Great with everyone else. I have to be great with them since I spend on the kids. :) My dh is one of 4 kids and even now 1 kid gets more one year. The next year another kid gets more..... Would something like that work in your family and give you the ability to get 1 big thing each year?

Unlike pp, I do remember many of the gifts that were "wows!" Things I never expected to get.

For the Lego problem- I'd pick just 1 and the one that he really wants. If you spend $20 more on that Ninjago set, could you take $20 from someone else (or $5 here, $5 there...)? I wouldn't get a set other than the one asked for. I know my kids want the sets they want for very specific reasons. :) Usually one tiny piece or something hat makes me wonder why we are paying $$ for a set.

georgiegirl
12-13-2013, 06:06 PM
Target has the lego coast guard set for $65 in stores through tomorrow, run!

bisous
12-13-2013, 06:13 PM
Thanks, all. Yes, my kids are picky about which set they get. DS2 has been wanting Epic Dragon battle since at least September. I think he really likes the minifigs. That's why I'm thinking if I got the Coast Guard set (at that great price, thanks, Georgiegirl!), the two minifigs from the dragon battle set and some extra crabs, it would be an awesome christmas and it would be in budget.
Now about DS1....sigh.

TwinFoxes
12-13-2013, 06:25 PM
Since DS1 "knows" I wouldn't feel pressure to get him a big gift. I'd just get him stuff he likes. Is there a book series he'd like? As my DNs all aged out, they didn't always get the wow gift, but youngest DN still did. But they also didn't care about a wow gift, if they wanted a bunch if smaller stuff...like my niece started wanting clothes.

I'm not clear on all things Lego, is the coast guard boat a fishing boat? I know I'd get the Ninjango Dragon, and cut $20 elsewhere. It just seems like a big deal to him. But maybe it's not IRL.

vonfirmath
12-13-2013, 06:27 PM
For DS1, the dog? How about Zoomer: http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Pets-6020163-Zoomer/dp/B00DQ9RM2Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1386973521&sr=1-1&keywords=Zoomer

(more expensive than your budget though)

Honestly... I DO remember specific gifts I got for Christmas. but for the most part I don't remember asking for them. My parents were very good at choosing good gifts for us. Do you have any ideas you can afford for DS1, even if they aren't on his list? That might make a good big gifts with some smaller things tossed in.

(If he asked specifically, did you tell him No? managing expectations can be good. We knew, growing up, we wouldn't get any toy that was advertised on TV.)

bisous
12-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Since DS1 "knows" I wouldn't feel pressure to get him a big gift. I'd just get him stuff he likes. Is there a book series he'd like? As my DNs all aged out, they didn't always get the wow gift, but youngest DN still did. But they also didn't care about a wow gift, if they wanted a bunch if smaller stuff...like my niece started wanting clothes.

I'm not clear on all things Lego, is the coast guard boat a fishing boat? I know I'd get the Ninjango Dragon, and cut $20 elsewhere. It just seems like a big deal to him. But maybe it's not IRL.

I think my thing is, I don't really like the Ninjago lego sets as much. My kids like the "world" but I think the City sets (like the boat) are more playable. Does that make sense? And DS2 would REALLY like a crab boat also. I think if we did the minifigs that DS2 might be totally satisfied. It is a HUGE set (the dragon one) but all they want are the little people in the set, lol.

Good advice about the fact that he knows.

I'm going to let him know that he won't be getting a wii. I like what you said, vonfirmath about managing expectations.

bisous
12-13-2013, 06:41 PM
For DS1 what about some wii games? We live 1 mile away from grandparents and my kids might really love some new games to play? I was thinking Just Dance or Harry Potter Lego. Grandparents have a VERY limited game selection!

TwinFoxes
12-13-2013, 06:43 PM
For DS1 what about some wii games? We live 1 mile away from grandparents and my kids might really love some new games to play? I was thinking Just Dance or Harry Potter Lego. Grandparents have a VERY limited game selection!

I think that's brilliant! As long as it's ok with Grandma/pa. (I'm sure it would be). But make sure he knows it's ONLY the games, so he won't think you're building to a big reveal. :)

SnuggleBuggles
12-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Then the dragon visits the city...IMO you are just expanding the open ended play. My kids have never been into the city stuff but they really integrate all their stuff. Makes it fun!

SnuggleBuggles
12-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Great game ideas!

kristac
12-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Some of these army sets from TRU seem like a "big" gift.
http://www.toysrus.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3123176&f=Taxonomy/TRUS/2254197&sr=1&origkw=army%20men

Binkandabee
12-13-2013, 07:22 PM
What about some of the cool Schleich vehicles to go with his animals?

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2774578&cp=2255956.2262937.23003516.10968248&parentPage=family
and
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2772275&cp=2255956.2262937.23003516.10968248&parentPage=family

My toys r us had several nice Scleich accessories on clearance. might be worth a look!

OR...get some of the Schleich scenery packs, which all come boxed:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=23769416&cp=&parentPage=search

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=24125556&cp=&parentPage=search

khalloc
12-13-2013, 08:08 PM
I got that Ninjago set back in the beginning of December. Toys R Us had it on sale for $58.99 so I snatched it up even though DS didn't ask for it..I would keep checking back! Ait was Lego 9450.

elbenn
12-13-2013, 08:20 PM
The dragon set is at yoyo for $95 with free shipping and coupon code yoyo25. That's still really expensive though. I like the Zoomer idea.

http://www.yoyo.com/p/lego-ninjago-epic-dragon-battle-9450-915-pcs-339617

ETA: Zoomer used to be available at Kohls and with a coupon, it was a reasonable price, but it appears to be sold out. They still have the robot though, if you are interested. http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1467711/wowwee-robosapien-x-chrome-figure.jsp?skuId=wowwee&search=wowwee

123LuckyMom
12-13-2013, 08:35 PM
If your DS2 is anything like my DS, the minifigs are the bigger draw and get more play. I'd do what you were thinking, the boat, crabs, minifigs from the dragon set. I think you're right about the "play" factor. The wii games are a great idea for DS1. They're going to be happy.

kboyle
12-14-2013, 08:13 PM
For the Lego problem- I'd pick just 1 and the one that he really wants. If you spend $20 more on that Ninjago set, could you take $20 from someone else (or $5 here, $5 there...)? I wouldn't get a set other than the one asked for. I know my kids want the sets they want for very specific reasons. :) Usually one tiny piece or something hat makes me wonder why we are paying $$ for a set.

i agree, i definitely wouldn't get a set other than what they asked for. my kids are particular and ask for sets because of specific things, so getting a different set wouldn't work for us. can you get the epic dragon battle AND the crab boat for the both of them and then little stuff to supplement so they aren't just opening 2 things?

even though ds2 asked for smaller sets than what his brothers asked for we got them because those were the ones that he wanted, so while it's not 'even' in terms of cost and size it's what he asked for.

egoldber
12-14-2013, 08:19 PM
I agree that I would just get DS1 the one set that he really wants. It doesn't have to be even in terms of cost. Younger DD is getting a lot more at the holidays this year than older DD. But older DD got an iPad mini for her birthday which was much bigger than what younger DD got for her birthday.

pastrygirl
12-15-2013, 10:14 AM
The wii mini is $100...

But I understand the budget! The only way we spend more than that is if we can get it free with Amex points, which is how we've gotten several bigger items over the past few years. I think the last non-phone Apple device I paid OOP for was the second gen iPod touch, LOL.