PDA

View Full Version : Can We Talk Candy Canes? ISO Candy Canes W/O Red Dye

lizzywednesday
12-14-2013, 12:21 PM
OK, I may or may not make it out to an actual confectioner to see what they're offering, so I'm looking for peppermint candy canes, preferably without red dyes or HFCS.

It's my perception that red dyes and/or HFCS make DD act up. I can taste food dyes myself, which only my FIL (the food scientist) finds believable.

DD, aged 3, has asked to have a candy cane in her stocking. I don't remember where I bought the ones I got last year, but I was pretty comfortable with them.

So … hit me with the best place to buy dye-free peppermint candy canes. Online is OK, but, this close to Christmas, I prefer brick-and-mortar stores - unless Amazon has them Prime-eligible!

I am "near" Target, Walgreens, CVS, Bottom Dollar, ShopRite, Wegman's, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Rite Aid, and Walmart.

jam224
12-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Ooo, I'm interested in recs for this too!

SnuggleBuggles
12-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Whole Foods has natural dye ones, I think.

robinsmommy
12-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Last year, I got mine in the natural food section of the grocery store - they had beet juice coloring instead. Usually ones that say natural on the label are made with food-based dyes, not the FD&C stuff. We avoid food color for the same reason - we first noted the reaction the very first time DD had M&M's at a friend's house as a toddler - first time she had food color, and the tantrums were spectacular.

Crate and Barrel had some peppermint pillows, which I've ordered, and they have various other candies with natural color, but not canes.

There are some on Amazon that are prime eligible, but you get a LOT....http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=natural+candy+canes

I'd try to find them locally now, and keep online as a backup. Organic ones are guaranteed to be FD&C dye free, so if there is a health food store near you, I'd try there. TJ's would also have natural dye ones if they have them - I haven't been in lately.

lizzywednesday
12-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Thanks everyone! I will hit Whole Foods at some point, then.

We also have two smaller "health food" stores, but they are more difficult to get to than WF.

kaharris83
12-14-2013, 01:35 PM
Our Wegman's has organic ones in their organic food section.

Reader
12-14-2013, 01:36 PM
Bought some last night at Whole Foods.

lalasmama
12-14-2013, 01:42 PM
We go to our local small natural foods store, but that's only because its the only option. At any rate, ours has a huge selection of candy. DD is allergic to red dyes (anaphylactic), so finding candy she can have can be tough if we aren't at that store. Of note, her red-and-white candy canes aren't peppermint, they are berry-flavored, I think, because we couldn't find mint ones. I assume they are available though.

Oh, and Kroger carries M&Ms (fake) in their organic bulk foods. DD was in candy-heaven when I told her she can have M&Ms with her friends if she just gets her M&Ms ;) All natural plant dyes.

BunnyBee
12-14-2013, 02:29 PM
The typical stores usually carry an all-white mint candy cane.

jk3
12-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Whole Foods definitely carries dye free candies. Look online too.

lizzywednesday
12-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Thanks so much!!

I have a lot of options to check, now.

oneplustwo
12-15-2013, 12:55 AM
Did you make it to WF yet? My local WF has two kinds of candy canes ~ no, make it three ~ that are free of artificial dyes. Have fun picking out candy canes! :)

Gracemom
12-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Thanks OP for starting this thread! My DS who is sensitive to dyes has also been asking for candy canes. So happy to have an alternative!

AnnieW625
12-15-2013, 11:47 AM
If you are okay with just sticks Trader Joes has due free ones that come in a tin and and they are quite tasty.

daisymommy
12-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Trader joes
Whole Foods
Surf sweets at Wegmans or Safeway

Sent from my iPad

div_0305
12-16-2013, 02:34 PM
FYI--Carmine is also used as a red dye in foods/candies and I think it's considered "natural" because it's made from crushed beatles. For us, it's a no-no because that makes it not a vegetarian additive.