PDA

View Full Version : Help me save DS2's lovey

mommylamb
12-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Let's just say that I've had better days.

DS2 woke up around 1:30 last night (not unusual). I took tried to get him down, but it didn't work so I eventually brought him in bed with us. And then he vomited in our bed. Not a lot, but not fun either. Other than DS1, we were all up for most of the night. He seemed ok this morning, but has vomited a few times this evening, and it has been a considerable amount of throw up.

Unfortunately, one of those times, he vomited on his stuffed Elmo. This is his lovey. He sleeps with it. He wants it all the time. Let me tell you, Elmo's fur texture is not conducive to removing vomit. I scrubbed at him, and he was wet as can be, so I put him in the dryer (you're not supposed to, it says surface cleaning only). Anyway, he survived the dryer on air fluff, but he stinks of vomit. Any thoughts on how I can clean him? I'm afraid of putting him in the washing machine because I don't want to knacker my washing machine or make Elmo explode (would that happen?).

So is this cleanable? Or should I start looking for a new Elmo? And what does that mean for tonight? I am running on 2 hours of sleep, and I just can't handle another night like last night. I hope I can even find this same Elmo again! It was originally DS1's when he was about 3, and got no love from him at all, but DS2 just loves him. I can't seem to stop imagining the Skin Horse talking to Elmo telling him he has now been loved enough to become real.

On a selfish note, I'm bummed because I had to cancel all our plans this weekend. We were supposed to host friends for dinner tonight and other friends for lunch tomorrow and I cancelled both. Just hoping no one else gets sick here.

PZMommy
12-14-2013, 08:12 PM
My son has a Winnie the Pooh with a texture similar to Elmo. It has survived many trips through the washing machine and dryer, despite saying spot clean only. As long as there are not batteries or electronic inside, it should be fine in the washing machine. I would wash it on gentle though.

HipMama
12-14-2013, 08:13 PM
Do you have a front loader or at least a top loader without an agitator? I'd put him in a mesh lingere bag or pillowcase and wash him on cold delicate with detergent and then air dry

123LuckyMom
12-14-2013, 08:19 PM
I have washed MANY stuffed animals in the machine. Put Elmo in a net bag, in a cold water wash, on a regular spin cycle. This will help get the water out, and the net bag will protect Elmo. If you don't have a net bag, wash him in a gentle cycle. I usually hang the stuffies dry, but since you know the air fluff works, go ahead and put him in the dryer. I have put stuffies through the dryer on low before, too. I sort of gauge whether I think the dryer will be okay. You can use regular detergent and a bit of vinegar to get the smell out. It'll be fine!

egoldber
12-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Definitely wash him in the washing machine. Wash on gentle and put in a bag or pillowcase of you feel you must. But surface scrubbing just will not get out that vomit smell.

BunnyBee
12-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Do you have a front loader or at least a top loader without an agitator? I'd put him in a mesh lingere bag or pillowcase and wash him on cold delicate with detergent and then air dry

Yes--if you don't have a bag big enough for Elmo, a pillowcase will work well! I would let him air dry though, and sit in the sunshine tomorrow (assuming there is sunshine).

gymnbomb
12-14-2013, 08:24 PM
I have washed MANY stuffed animals in the machine. Put Elmo in a net bag, in a cold water wash, on a regular spin cycle. This will help get the water out, and the net bag will protect Elmo. If you don't have a net bag, wash him in a gentle cycle. I usually hang the stuffies dry, but since you know the air fluff works, go ahead and put him in the dryer. I have put stuffies through the dryer on low before, too. I sort of gauge whether I think the dryer will be okay. You can use regular detergent and a bit of vinegar to get the smell out. It'll be fine!

Just wanted to add that when I was a kid my mother sent many of my small to medium sized stuffed animals through the washing machine stuffed inside a panty hose leg. They always survived, although it was better if she did it without telling me because (embarrassingly even around age 9-10...) I worried that they would not make it through.

mackmama
12-14-2013, 08:47 PM
I put all of DC's stuffed animals through washer and dryer routinely even though tags says not to. All have survived fine. Hang in there mama. ((Hug))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

TwinFoxes
12-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Use Nature's Miracle. It's available at all pet stores. Will help wih your cat problem too. :)

onyx8
12-14-2013, 08:56 PM
Use Nature's Miracle. It's available at all pet stores. Will help wih your cat problem too. :)

Ditto, I always throw nature's miracle in the wash with anything that got puked on.

3blackcats
12-14-2013, 09:07 PM
I've always washed items like that in pantyhose. They hold their shape. I put a a tshirt in with it on gentle. I find they wash better when there is something else in the machine.

rin
12-14-2013, 09:20 PM
I've washed many stuffed animals in the washing machine; I just do it on gentle, and typically use low heat to dry. I've never put them inside a pillowcase or pantyhose, and I've never had anything bad happen to one of them.

Good luck with the puke!

kaharris83
12-14-2013, 09:27 PM
I put all of DC's stuffed animals through washer and dryer routinely even though tags says not to. All have survived fine. Hang in there mama. ((Hug))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

:yeahthat: I wash all the stuffies and dry them in the dryer. But I don't believe in hand washing anything including clothes. If it can't be washed and dried in the washer and dryer it won't have a long life in my house. :)

Indianamom2
12-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Definitely wash in the washer. I have had the same experience with a stuffed white lamb. No way was I getting all the nasty vomit out of that thing any other way.

It came out of the washer (and probably dryer on low) just fine. Sorry you've had a not-so-fun puke-fest. Definitely been there and done that.

mommylamb
12-15-2013, 06:04 PM
Elmo lives!!!!

Thank you all.:yay:

PZMommy
12-15-2013, 09:06 PM
Glad he survived!!

123LuckyMom
12-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Elmo lives!!!!

Thank you all.:yay:

Hooray!!!!!!!