PDA

View Full Version : What would you do - ER or wait?

amom526
12-15-2013, 06:46 AM
Ds2 (13 months) is a cranky kid. I can really never tell if something is wrong or he is just being melodramatic. He's been crabby the last couple days but nothing super unusual. Yesterday afternoon, I have a small suspicion h may have swallowed a small plastic knob from a puzzle. I think there's about a 25% chance. He acted pretty normally the rest of the day but its been a really rough night. He has been up crying for long stretches multiple times which is really not like him. He finally fell asleep in our bed which he's never done before. But he also seems like he may just be getting sick-he suddenly seems congested, a tiny bit of coughing, etc. which could also explain why he is acting like this.

How concerned would you be? I figure if he swallowed the piece, he should just poop it out, but I am second guessing myself because of the rough night.

Melaine
12-15-2013, 08:06 AM
Hmm does your ped have an emergency line? I would call them or if not call poison control maybe? They are always so helpful. I hope he is already feeling better. I would try to wait for urgent care to open otherwise if I were you.

BDKmom
12-15-2013, 08:40 AM
I would wait and see how he does this morning. But I avoid the er at all costs. Maybe call the ped and see what kind of signs you might see if he did swallow it.

amom526
12-15-2013, 08:44 AM
we made it through the night, although he has been up since 330. He just ate breakfast ok, so I don't think there is anything stuck anywhere. I guess I will keep watching him, and take him to urgent care later. He seems like he may be constipated as well, so who knows why he is screaming. I hate the not knowing, I wish they could talk!

BabyBearsMom
12-15-2013, 08:48 AM
I definitely would not do the ER for that. ER for me is broken bones or near death. I am just too freaked out about the germs you are exposed to while there. Plus around us the wait times are I fathomable. Also, the last time we were there we were exposed to some...rather unsavory elements of society that I would rather my kids not see if I can avoid it. I would call and leave a message for the pedi and see what they think.

westwoodmom04
12-15-2013, 10:19 AM
I agree with PPs, call the pediatrician on call at your usual practice. Even urgent care is going to be packed on a weekend with a fair number of people who has something contagious

Also, do you think he might be teething. He's the right age and if he is having several coming in at the same time, that could make him very uncomfortable. I'd try a dose of tylenlol and see if that helps him any.