PDA

View Full Version : Update with more info WWYD: Duplicate gift

KrisM
12-15-2013, 10:49 AM
DS1 does not have an extensive wish list this year. He had things on that were not things we were going to buy (Wii U, ipad, etc), so what's left is somewhat small. One of the toys he's most excited about is the Zoob Challenge. I know it gets mixed reviews here, but we bought it and it's a Santa gift. I always try to make the things he'll be excited about most from Santa.

The other day, we got a package in the mail and it's a part of a group gift. I guess there will be 3 things that are all meant for the 3 kids. This is from my SIL's family. The one that arrived was the Zoob Challenge. Ugh!

So, what to do? I really want it to be from Santa as I don't have a good substitute for it. I don't know what the other 2 items are going to be, but maybe they can be enough to be for all 3 kids. Or maybe I can move something less exciting from DS1 to a group gift? Any ideas?

123LuckyMom
12-15-2013, 11:02 AM
I would give the gift letting him know that SIL didn't know Santa was going to get it. Then I'd let him exchange it for something else. If you have a good relationship with SIL, you could call her and let her know the dilemma before Christmas. Maybe she'd like to swap it out for something else and keep it for her own kids. I'm sure she'd understand your dilemma if she's a reasonable person.

KrisM
12-15-2013, 11:22 AM
I would give the gift letting him know that SIL didn't know Santa was going to get it. Then I'd let him exchange it for something else. If you have a good relationship with SIL, you could call her and let her know the dilemma before Christmas. Maybe she'd like to swap it out for something else and keep it for her own kids. I'm sure she'd understand your dilemma if she's a reasonable person.

You know, that's the easiest. If it hadn't come straight from the company and had come wrapped, that is what would have happened. In fact, another SIL got a Mastermind game for DS1 last year and we had it already. I ended up returning it to Walmart and giving him the money for it. The SIL with Zoob always ships from the company and has me wrap and label, which is completely fine. But, it is what made me aware of the duplication :). And, we always segregate the ILs gifts to be opened after breakfast so the kids know what is from their aunts and uncles and they aren't just in the pile, so Santa is done and opened before this one. Okay, simple solution that I never would have thought of. Thank you!

And, once the other 2 items come, I might call and see if she has another idea. She's very reasonable. She typically does a great job picking out gifts for my kids. Her kids are much older, so no keeping it for them. A few years ago, they got this:http://www.amazon.com/Brik-A-Blok-Set-Red-Blue-Panels/dp/B002NW5AG2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387120876&sr=8-1&keywords=red+blue+building+panels+fort which is awesome and something we'd never buy!

TwinFoxes
12-15-2013, 11:51 AM
That brik a block thing is way cool! I put it on DDs list for next year. :)

i think ink your solution is a good one. In the future you might just give them a heads up what you're planning on getting your DCs from Santa. That's what SIL and I do. :)

vonfirmath
12-16-2013, 12:41 PM
DS1 does not have an extensive wish list this year. He had things on that were not things we were going to buy (Wii U, ipad, etc), so what's left is somewhat small. One of the toys he's most excited about is the Zoob Challenge. I know it gets mixed reviews here, but we bought it and it's a Santa gift. I always try to make the things he'll be excited about most from Santa.

The other day, we got a package in the mail and it's a part of a group gift. I guess there will be 3 things that are all meant for the 3 kids. This is from my SIL's family. The one that arrived was the Zoob Challenge. Ugh!

So, what to do? I really want it to be from Santa as I don't have a good substitute for it. I don't know what the other 2 items are going to be, but maybe they can be enough to be for all 3 kids. Or maybe I can move something less exciting from DS1 to a group gift? Any ideas?

Is the Zoob Challenge something that would be useful for both? I would not, in these circumstances, change. Find out if you can return this Zoob Challenge for something else? Or have two sets in the house

KrisM
12-16-2013, 12:52 PM
That brik a block thing is way cool! I put it on DDs list for next year. :)

i think ink your solution is a good one. In the future you might just give them a heads up what you're planning on getting your DCs from Santa. That's what SIL and I do. :)

It is cool! We bring it out every month or two still and leave it up a few days. The kids can do it on their own now. I think DS1 could from the start. There is a book with design ideas. We use sheets to make roofs sometimes so the structure can be bigger.

Is the Zoob Challenge something that would be useful for both? I would not, in these circumstances, change. Find out if you can return this Zoob Challenge for something else? Or have two sets in the house

I think DD would not like it too much and DS2 is not old enough. I'll see what the other 2 items are when they come. If it seems that I can put names on them for DD and DS2, I will, and DS1 will just get the duplicate. Or, I'll talk to SIL before. Figured I should see if any of the other things are duplicates before I call!

KrisM
12-18-2013, 09:16 AM
The box with the other 2 gifts came. Zoob Robots and Zoob Inventor's Kit. I'm stuck again. It's a lot of Zoob. I feel like it makes the Santa gift less special for DS1 when there is now a whole ton of the same/similar stuff.

ccather
12-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Can we help you brain storm something fabulous for Santa to bring DS1? Is he into building things and thus the Zoob appeals? My oldest is a builder and we've had some big hits with the snap circuits kits (last year I got a great deal on the robot rover thing that he loves.) This year he's getting the Erector Dual Motor set that was a lightening deal on amazon a few days back. He's going to be nuts over that! He also has a large domino set that he enjoys setting up and his fascination with rc car things never seems to end. Does your son watch Punkin Chunkin? I bought my DS a trebuchet and catapult kits plus ping pong balls...hours of little boy amusement there!

KrisM
12-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Can we help you brain storm something fabulous for Santa to bring DS1? Is he into building things and thus the Zoob appeals? My oldest is a builder and we've had some big hits with the snap circuits kits (last year I got a great deal on the robot rover thing that he loves.) This year he's getting the Erector Dual Motor set that was a lightening deal on amazon a few days back. He's going to be nuts over that! He also has a large domino set that he enjoys setting up and his fascination with rc car things never seems to end. Does your son watch Punkin Chunkin? I bought my DS a trebuchet and catapult kits plus ping pong balls...hours of little boy amusement there!

That would be great! He has snap circuits. He got an erector set last year, but found it difficult and has not finished it. Dominos...maybe. I'll give that some thought. He got a build your own trebuchet for his birthday and it was a great thing! Loved it.

He likes to build, but does not do Lego. He has Lego Mindstorms and that is just okay. He gets frustrated at times. He's getting my old kindle. He's getting some board games and some books (e-books and regular). He's getting some soldering kits. He's getting some things for his bedroom.

He wants a Wii U, and ipod, a laptop, a tv for his room, etc. He's been tough.

crl
12-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Since he liked the trebuchet kit

http://www.mindware.com/p/KEVA-Contraptions-200-Plank-Set/44156

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e250/

(Courtesy of google, no personal experience)

Catherine

egoldber
12-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Yeah, I find that it's much harder to buy for my older kid, since she was 9/10. She's too old for most "toys", but at the same time is not yet a grown up.

Would he like something cool for his room? Wall art? Posters? Accessories? Room decor can be pretty inexpensive.

I know most here don't recommend them, but she actually loved Lincoln Logs around that age. A large set and a book are not that expensive.

ahisma
12-18-2013, 11:21 AM
What's your Santa budget? Maybe the littleBits would be a hit? http://littlebits.cc/

KrisM
12-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Since he liked the trebuchet kit

http://www.mindware.com/p/KEVA-Contraptions-200-Plank-Set/44156

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e250/

(Courtesy of google, no personal experience)

Catherine

He asked for Contraptions for a few years, although not this year. My hesitation was that we have City Blocks (http://www.amazon.com/Citiblocs-Natural-Colors-Precision-Building/dp/B003BWVJ72/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1387380916&sr=1-1&keywords=city+blocks)that do not get played with. I think they look really similar, except with a ball added.

KrisM
12-18-2013, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I find that it's much harder to buy for my older kid, since she was 9/10. She's too old for most "toys", but at the same time is not yet a grown up.

Would he like something cool for his room? Wall art? Posters? Accessories? Room decor can be pretty inexpensive.

I know most here don't recommend them, but she actually loved Lincoln Logs around that age. A large set and a book are not that expensive.

He's getting a Minecraft poster, a bed rest pillow for reading in bed, and a set with a bulletin board, white board, magnetic board. I think he'll like all of them, but we're probably at the limit of room things as gifts.

We have Lincoln Logs and DD enjoys them. DS1, not so much.

KrisM
12-18-2013, 11:42 AM
What's your Santa budget? Maybe the littleBits would be a hit? http://littlebits.cc/

Likely out of the budget at this point, but I'll look into them!

egoldber
12-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Does he want an iPod or an MP3 player? What about something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B002MAPT7U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387381943&sr=8-1&keywords=mps+player

Binkandabee
12-18-2013, 11:51 AM
Can you return the one you bought with your receipt and get a giftcard for them to pick something else out together and then add the other zoob things to your Ds's santa gift?

KrisM
12-18-2013, 11:56 AM
Does he want an iPod or an MP3 player? What about something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B002MAPT7U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387381943&sr=8-1&keywords=mps+player

He has a similar one. He wants an ipod touch. Boy I wish I could get things like a stereo, records, etc. The mp3 sure has ruined that whole line of gifts! Records were always a big part of what I got!

Can you return the one you bought with your receipt and get a giftcard for them to pick something else out together and then add the other zoob things to your Ds's santa gift?

Oh, really interesting thought! I'm going to give that some thought. Not sure how it would work since they should be a group gift and not just for DS1. But, something I had not considered yet.

ellies mom
12-18-2013, 01:36 PM
If he likes building, maybe something like these Girder and Panel sets (http://www.bridgestreettoys.com/). There is a range of prices and the different set work together. I bought the Tower set for my nephew this year.

You could just explain that Santa knew that SIL wanted to get them the Zoob sets as a group gift and being the kind man he is, he went back to the drawing board to find something else he might like.

AnnieW625
12-18-2013, 01:40 PM
TBH I would return the Zoob set that you got for your DS and get him something else like the MP3 player and let everything else that your SIL sent be for him, unless the two other Zoob boxes were meant for your DD and your DS2 as well. I know it isn't what you had planned gift wise, but I would think of something else for you to give him. In the long run (and I am probably in the minority on this though) it shouldn't matter who gave X what gift. Hell I would just be happy that my SIL has a great taste in gifts.

KrisM
12-18-2013, 02:35 PM
If he likes building, maybe something like these Girder and Panel sets (http://www.bridgestreettoys.com/). There is a range of prices and the different set work together. I bought the Tower set for my nephew this year.

You could just explain that Santa knew that SIL wanted to get them the Zoob sets as a group gift and being the kind man he is, he went back to the drawing board to find something else he might like.

He actually thought the Hydrodynamic (http://www.amazon.com/Girder-Panel-Hydrodynamic-Deluxe-Set/dp/B000PVVQMU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hpc_2)set looked neat, but I put it off until his spring birthday, figuring water might be better out on the deck. I'll rethink that.

TBH I would return the Zoob set that you got for your DS and get him something else like the MP3 player and let everything else that your SIL sent be for him, unless the two other Zoob boxes were meant for your DD and your DS2 as well. I know it isn't what you had planned gift wise, but I would think of something else for you to give him. In the long run (and I am probably in the minority on this though) it shouldn't matter who gave X what gift. Hell I would just be happy that my SIL has a great taste in gifts.

My SIL means for all 3 kids to share all 3 sets. If I give them to DS1, I need something else from her. I am working on a Plan B for us to get him from Santa. I know it doesn't matter in the long run who it comes from, but I want him to have the same excitement the other kids have. And, I definitely appreciate the thought she puts into gifts. She does pick good things. I just wish in this case she had run it past me first! Or sent them a week ago so I didn't feel like I'm scrambling!

AnnieW625
12-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Then you know what I would still give your DS his own Zoob set and then let all 3 kids share the stuff from the SIL. I would make sure that your DS opens his Santa gift first.

KrisM
12-18-2013, 10:48 PM
Then you know what I would still give your DS his own Zoob set and then let all 3 kids share the stuff from the SIL. I would make sure that your DS opens his Santa gift first.

DS1 would open first. We hold all the gifts from DH's family until later in the morning so that the kids know what their aunts and uncles gave them. My mom had a thought that I could buy a 4th Zoob kit and substitute that for the duplicate in the group gift. So, DS1 would get the Zoob Challenge and the group would be Zoob inventor's, Zoob Bot and a different Zoob. We'd have Zoob coming out of our ears, and the idea would be duplicated, but it wouldn't be identical.

BDKmom
12-19-2013, 12:19 AM
DS1 would open first. We hold all the gifts from DH's family until later in the morning so that the kids know what their aunts and uncles gave them. My mom had a thought that I could buy a 4th Zoob kit and substitute that for the duplicate in the group gift. So, DS1 would get the Zoob Challenge and the group would be Zoob inventor's, Zoob Bot and a different Zoob. We'd have Zoob coming out of our ears, and the idea would be duplicated, but it wouldn't be identical.

I don't know anything at all about Zoob, but your mom's idea seems like a good one. That way it honors the spirit of the gift your SIL sent, but lets you (Santa) give him the special one. And an easy thing to explain to your SIL. "Oh, we had already gotten Zoob X, so we exchanged yours for Zoob Y."