PDA

View Full Version : Help - DS hysterical from ear pain (new since midnight)

lmh2402
12-15-2013, 10:53 AM
DS woke up at midnight screaming in pain and vertigo. vomited several times. i was able to calm him down after a while and he slept (fitfully)

we went out to pharmacy this morning and just filled script for abx

but he's still crying incessantly about ear pain and now saying everything sounds funny. and still dizzy

is there anything i can do short term for symptom relief? gave advil already

thx

123LuckyMom
12-15-2013, 10:56 AM
This is terrible! I'm so sorry! I have no fix, but I would call your on-call service and see if they have suggestions for anything you can do or that they can. If there's anything that can be done, I would take him in. That kind of pain is just awful!

Mermanaid
12-15-2013, 11:01 AM
I'm so sorry! DS has always been that way with ear infections too. I would use the Similasan (sp?) ear drops for pain. It seemed to calm him down enough to tolerate it.

westwoodmom04
12-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Get the first dose of abx in him as soon as possible and alternate ibuprofin and tylenol for pain. luckily the abx will work quickly.

pinkmomagain
12-15-2013, 12:14 PM
they should rx you the auralgen (sp) drops. they are eardrops that numb the pain.

marymoo86
12-15-2013, 12:28 PM
warm olive oil or garlic oil drops will also help

nfceagles
12-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Our dr always gives us a rx for AntiPyrene, which are drops that numb the pain. We don't always use them, because my DD rarely has ear pain with ear infections (instead a relentless croupy cough), but when she does they help quickly. I also fill a sock with rice, stick it in the microwave for 30-45 seconds and apply that to the ear.

JBaxter
12-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Yes warm oil helps the pain. You can make your own garlic oil. Shave a fresh garlic clove into thin strips at to a large metal spoon w/ olive oil hold on the stove burner till it boils gently. Allow to cool until its is just warm to the touch remove the garlic pieces and put the oil in the ear you can add a cotton ball. Heating pads work also.
warm olive oil or garlic oil drops will also help

lhafer
12-15-2013, 01:31 PM
Warm olive oil on the stove til warm (NOT hot!), add some cinnamon to it. I use a paper towel as a sieve and pour it into a container. Draw some up and drop it into the ear canal. Have him lay ear up for a while. Should help within a few minutes.

Also - you can put a raw garlic clove (peeled) along the outter part of the ear (where there's a little scoop) - so that it's not in the ear canal, but close to it. Again, have him lay bad ear up for a while.

Both of these methods helped my daughter's ear pain withint a few minutes. She had chronic ear infections and tubes as a baby.

flashy09
12-15-2013, 01:48 PM
My mom used to put a drop of gin in my ear. Said it worked like a charm! Then you can down the rest of the shot, lol.

Nooknookmom
12-15-2013, 02:01 PM
they should rx you the auralgen (sp) drops. they are eardrops that numb the pain.

Yes yes yes! I had inner east infections from age four and these were the ONLY thin that helped. For some reason when I moved to Cali and switched drs they stopped rxing & I would almost beg for them! The doc would lol at me like "huh?" Drives me crazy.

So yes try for those drops!!!

♥ms.pacman♥
12-15-2013, 05:23 PM
i second the auralgan drops. they are specifically for ear pain. dh had to take them once when he had an ear infection..even he couldn't tolerate the pain. they are pricey though ($40 bc insurance didn't cover and i don't think they make a generic..or maybe they do now). worth it though!

daisymommy
12-16-2013, 02:18 PM
I always ask for a prescription for the numbing ear drops along with the antibiotic rx when my kids are in pain.

Sent from my iPad

mackmama
12-16-2013, 06:38 PM
You poor thing - how is he doing? Hang in there, mama.

azzeps
12-17-2013, 01:50 AM
I hope he's doing better. For next time, I've found that, along with the garlic mullein drops, a hot water bottle really has helped my daughter. Hopefully now the antibiotics have kicked in!