PDA

View Full Version : Grandma wants an e-reader! I know nothing about them, need recommendation...

BarbieSmith
12-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Would like to get her an e-reader. She is 72, in great health, with decent eyesight (wears glasses). She has a computer, but is not overly confident with it (I have to do all updates/installations, etc. and get called for "notifications" a lot - otherwise she does web surfing, facebook, photo printing, etc. with ease).

Would love recommendations. Probably doesn't need a lot of bells and whistles, and no need for a laptop substitute, it is just for reading (she loves books, especially mysteries).

Thanks so much!

ps: initially looked at the Kindle Paperwhite on Amazon... is this a good choice, or do you have other recommendations?

kristac
12-15-2013, 11:51 AM
I was going to suggest the kindle keyboard to make it easier for her to search without a computer but it looks like they don't make it anymore?? The paper white is a good choice I think.

TwinFoxes
12-15-2013, 11:54 AM
I have a Paperwhite, and I love it. Easy to use, and I love the light. I have an iPad Mini, and I prefer the Kindle for reading. To me, it's perfect.

Indianamom2
12-15-2013, 02:35 PM
A basic Kindle is my choice. I like the idea of the Paperwhite, just have no experience with that one. I have a very basic non-touch Kindle and I love it. It's super easy to use.

BarbieSmith
12-15-2013, 03:37 PM
I think the consensus is what my inclination originally was - the Kindle (possibly the paperwhite). Thanks so much all!!!!

essnce629
12-15-2013, 03:41 PM
I would go with the Paperwhite as well. I had a Kindle Keyboard and hope to get the Paperwhite for Christmas. Should make it much easier to read in bed and in low light situations (which was a problem with the regular Kindle).

egoldber
12-15-2013, 04:01 PM
Yes, get the Paperwhite.

However, be prepared to have to do some technical support. My ILs have them and they often need support getting things set up. They also share one Amazon account so they can share books and the logistics of that are tricky for them sometimes.