PDA

View Full Version : Is this a weird gift to give a teacher?

doberbrat
12-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Naming a star after them www.yourstarforever.com/‎

I figured it isnt "stuff" and could be fun for her class. fwiw, she's a 2nd grade teacher, newly married so she doenst have many things attached to her new name yet...

BunnyBee
12-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Unless she's really into astronomy, it seems very personal. I'd think it was odd if someone I only knew in a professional setting gave it to me.

Edited: I think it's personal because the times I've heard of it being given were personal. From a boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse, or to someone who has lost a loved one.

JBaxter
12-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Yes I think its weird. I would do it of a family member that was into astronomy but not for a random teacher or co worker.

ha98ed14
12-15-2013, 01:10 PM
I think it's cool! DH is a teacher and the best gifts imo are the non-desert foods (because we both struggle with our weight and don't need any more temptations; other teachers & their families may enjoy them) and other non-stuff. We have enough stuff. I think a star is awesome! It's something she would never buy herself and it doesn't take up any space!

ETA: It does not seem overly personal TO ME; however if you were worried about it, you could name it after her class(room). "Mrs. Smith's First Grade 2013-2014"

candaceb
12-15-2013, 02:50 PM
This is JMO but I think those star naming things are basically a scam.
I would make a donation to a charity in her name instead if you want to avoid "stuff".

TwinFoxes
12-15-2013, 02:54 PM

:yeahthat: Send me the money, I'll print out a certificate with a location guide to "her star".

PZMommy
12-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Unless she is I to astronomy I'd skip it! It just seems too much of a scam to me.

Momit
12-15-2013, 05:17 PM
There was a cute Magic School Bus episode where the kids wanted to name a star after one of their classmates. That was the first time I'd heard of it done in a non-romantic way. But I could see how it could be cute and fun. Or how about something like adopting an animal through WWF - then the money is going to a good cause (I think) and she can still use it with her students. Or Heifer International?

MMMommy
12-15-2013, 08:42 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't give that, nor would I want it. I would appreciate a $5 gift card to Starbucks or even $5 cash over that. The thought is nice, but I don't think anyone would truly "want" that.

indigo99
12-15-2013, 11:24 PM
I would make a donation to a charity in her name instead if you want to avoid "stuff".

I agree. Lots of good charities could use the money this time of year.

SnuggleBuggles
12-15-2013, 11:53 PM
I like the idea of adopting an animal but I'd do it at the zoo. The kids could visit it and that'd be pretty neat!

magnoliaparadise
12-16-2013, 03:27 AM
:yeahthat: Send me the money, I'll print out a certificate with a location guide to "her star".

This made me laugh out loud! You are hilarious.

I have known one or two people buy stars for my family members, but honestly, I think people can never keep track of where that certificate is anyway so - although I never thought of it as a scam before reading this - now I'm starting to agree!