PDA

View Full Version : Kid gifting question

ahisma
12-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Would you buy legos for a child (here, 7 yo boy) who doesn't have Legos and was unlikely to receive them in the near future?

We do a gift exchange with my side of the family. My DS1 has my nephew, my brother's son. He doesn't have Legos - my brother doesn't think they are worth the expense. I get it, they're at a much different point in life than we are. But, my DS1 desperately wants to give his cousin a Lego set. The limit is $20, so not a huge set, but I can get something decent on sale. To further complicate things, my brother can't come up with any ideas that his DS would like...so there really isn't a great alternative.

I do think that he'd like them...but am not convinced that one set allows for much long term play. He watches the "Cops" show a lot (I know...different points in life, again), we found a nice set with a police theme.

WWYD? Go for it, or keep on looking.

We did get his little brother (2 yo) a Duplo set, but it's the Duplo Number train so it has a bit more longevity, I think.

BunnyBee
12-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Go for it. I think it's sweet your DS wants to choose a gift for his cousin.

Tondi G
12-15-2013, 03:43 PM
I think Lego's are a perfect gift. If it is what your DS wants to give his cousin then get it!

ha98ed14
12-15-2013, 03:54 PM
I agree with PPs. He will like them and he may be the only kid without some, so getting him some will be awesome even if it's just a few. He can always take the bike/cop set and act it out with other figurines. My DNs play with playmobile and lego together all the time.

ahisma
12-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Thanks, everyone! I was worried that just having one set would be limiting, but I can see how it's better than no Legos at all. If he winds up liking them we can always get him more for birthdays, etc. The beautiful thing about them is that since they're not really into the whole Lego buying thing we can spoil him a bit without making them feel uncomfortable.

squimp
12-15-2013, 04:14 PM
You can find a box of bricks for $10 these days, I would buy one and save it for his birthday so he could add to his police set.

Aishe
12-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Is the $20 limit your own budget or is it an agreement with your brother? If it's the latter, this set was $15 on Black Friday so technically you *could* have spent less than $20, and that would give him more pieces to play with.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/LEGO-Fun-with-Bricks-Building-Set-600-pieces/26632747

elephantmeg
12-15-2013, 06:07 PM
the problem with the big boxes is that there are no wheels, figures, thins etc. I would do the police set and maybe hold off on the box until next year... for my son the value is in the cool little figures. The big box seems cool but you can't make cars, planes etc out of it.